It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2006, 02:38 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Linma2428 HB User
any advice on ativan

I haven't been here in awhile. Thought maybe some of you would have an answer.

First off I am in perimenopause. Even though I am 50 haven't made it through to menopause yet.

I have been having panic and depression during times of the month. Even got so mad at my husband made him leave and spend the night in a motel. He was adding to my anxiety by drinking when I ask him not to. He can be a real mess if he drinks.

I have a prescription for Ativan its .50. Anyone take this? This is my first time taking this med. I did take valium 4 years ago and had terrible night terrors so stopped taking it. I am trying this one and thought cutting it in half might help. But it seems like such a small amount don't know if it will do any good. Just wondering if anyone has experience with this?

Linda

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-14-2006, 03:21 PM   #2
(female)

newphase HB User
Re: any advice on ativan

Hi Linda! I took ativan, the same dosage as you have. I didn't take it every day, just when I was particularly anxious. It helped me to fall and stay asleep. I just recently stopped taking it however, after seeing my gyn. She suggested that I take an anti-depressant since using ativan is really only a "bandaid" and works for the moment. She told me that all of the changes you go through during menopause change your chemistry. Ativan won't help that, but an anti-depressant would. She also mentioned that ativan can be habit forming as well. I found it useful when I took it, but my symptoms have not gone away so I am ready to try the anti-depressant.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-14-2006, 08:33 PM   #3
(female)

1awesomegranny HB User

Hi Linma!
I have taken ativan as needed for 3 years now. With the anxiety from peri hitting me like a brick out of the blue, it works for me, but like newphase mentioned, only as needed. I have the bigger dose, but rarely take that, I usually cut it in half (.50) and have found that in some cases 1/4 will work for me too (.25). I guess you just have to go with what works for you and what you feel comfortable with. I don't take it often; in the 3 years, I've only had 3 scripts for it, total 120 pills, and still have about 20 left from the last script. I think the reason I don't take it alot is because I surely don't want to get addicted to it. It does come in handy if you need a good nights sleep occasionally though!
Take care,
Conni

Old 08-14-2006, 10:34 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Red Maple HB UserRed Maple HB User

I also take Ativan as needed, it saved me much misery from the anxiety. My doctor also prescribed Celexa, an anti-depressant. The Celexa has worked wonders for me, but it took a few weeks to kick in. While waiting for the Celexa to work I used the Ativan to relieve my symptoms. Like Granny I have the higher dose, but also break it in half, or quarters, depending on how I feel. I hardly ever take it now, but was sure glad it was there when I needed it.

Old 08-14-2006, 10:42 PM   #5
(female)

CynAnn HB User

I too take Ativan. I was having panic attacks, depression, etc. and my Doctor gave me 1mg as needed and told me to break them in 1/2 (=.50) and take it when needed during the day and at night if needed to help me sleep.

I dont take one everyday, but on the "bad" days...which is 90% of the time!

I've been taking .50 - 1mg Ativan on most days, for over a year now, and very pleased with the "calming" effect that it has without making me feel drugged.

I have had no side effects at all, it has really helped me.

Last edited by CynAnn; 08-14-2006 at 10:43 PM.

Old 08-15-2006, 12:30 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Linma2428 HB User

Wow thanks everyone for the replies. It helps me knowing you all tried it. I also have a prescription for Nortriptline that I am suppose to start for Migraines. Its an old type antidepressant suppose to help with pain and sleep. Also and anti inflammatory, for migraines. The doctor really wants me on Klonopin said its a more even medication so I might end up with that instead of Ativan. I told him I had heard more about K causing problems than Ativan so he let me have Ativan for now. He never ask me about hormones and if I was in menopause really odd the doctors never ask me anything about that unless they are a ob gyn. take are all and thanks again for telling me your experience.

Linda

Old 08-24-2006, 07:09 PM   #7
(female)

Lorene78 HB User

I am in perimenopause and had the worst symptoms!! I was dizzy and so sick that I would vomit. Had alot of anxiety also. The doctor first put me on Antivan for sleep problems and it worked wonders for me and I have no side effects whatsoever. I don't take it all month or everyday, just as needed.
Then the doctor gave me hormone patch that I wear only three days a month, low dose, which worked like a miracle for the horrible nausea I had.
Antivan won't hurt you.

Old 08-24-2006, 07:18 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hopefully HB User

I've tried Xanax, Ativan and Klonopin and I've not had any problems with them that I can remember. Like others I've taken these as needed...but I've taken Ativan longer than the others. I can not remember why I preferred Ativan. Hopefully, you'll get relief soon.

Old 08-24-2006, 10:58 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

Linma2428 HB User

Thank you both for your comments. I have been taking Ativan just a .5 can't tell anything from it. I might try uping the dose myself. I don't take it at night though been taking it during the day. I am afraid to take it during the day and night also as I don't want to get addicted. What are the milgrams you all have tried just curious if I need more. I am suppose to see doctor on August 31 so I will be asking him. Really having trouble sleeping this month maybe 2 hours a night. Mine comes from neck problems and pain I think. Wow would like to be young again.

Linda

Closed Thread