It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2006, 02:48 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

pinkie1 HB User
Question Cycle length with perimenopause

I'm new to this board, and not sure if this question was asked before. If it has, I apologize for the redundancy.

With the early early stages of menopause, does the cycle lengthen or shorten? I used to be exactly 28 days for years, but the last year or so I've skipped 2 months (total, not in a row), but had a period 28 days after I was suppsosed to start. I ask all this b/c DH and I are trying to have a baby, and I'm only 33. Perimenopause doesn't start this early does it?

Thanks for any info.

Old 08-15-2006, 03:20 PM   #2
(female)

Wizard HB User
Re: Cycle length with perimenopause

Hi:

Although perimenopause doesn't generally occur as early as 33, it has been known to happen. Considering your age though, I'd be more apt to suspect something like annovulatory cycles, PCOS, hormone imbalance etc.

In perimenopause the length of the cycle change can differ from one woman to the next. My sister went to having longer lengths before cycles, I went to going from 28 day cycles down to 25 day cycles.

If you're trying to get pregnant, I would visit a reproductive endocrinologist who can give you a thorough workup and determine why your cycles are changing.

Last edited by Wizard; 08-15-2006 at 03:21 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-15-2006, 08:03 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

pinkie1 HB User

Thanks for the info.
Yes, we went to an RE, and when I told him about my missed cycle (at that time I had missed only one), he didn't say much about it. When I missed again last month (the last time I saw my RE was in April), I began to wonder.
My older sister went thru infertility problems too and they discovered she was going thru perimenopause at 35.

My mom had her periods until she was 50 but had to have a total hysterectomy.

Do you think age matters when you start menses and when menopause starts?

Old 08-15-2006, 11:18 PM   #4
(female)

Wizard HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkie1

Do you think age matters when you start menses and when menopause starts?
A lot of people say it's related but I haven't found it to be so in my family.

My sister and I both started menses when we were 14. She began perimenopause at 39 and is now well into it.

I just started it 8 months ago at 45.

My Mom went through it starting at age 17 and had her final period when she was just about 53. She started menses at age 14 as well.

Has your RE checked your FSH levels and done a clomid challenge test to determine if you have quality eggs left? If there's even a chance that you could be going through early menopause then I'd push the RE like crazy to get answers. I went through fertility issues based on an immune issue that caused multiple miscarriages and I know that when there are problems you have to push quick for answers as you get older.

Closed Thread