It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2006, 07:54 PM   #1

naomih HB User
Do I have Low Estrogen?

Hi,
I'm 41 years old and have been experiencing irregular bleeding for about 16 months. Had pelvic and abdominal ultrasounds, both normal. It began as heavier longer periods (sometimes with spotting up to 17 days!). Once in a while I get a normal month, in fact had 2 x 28 day cycles in June & July with only light spotting at ovulation. This month everything haywire again, with light spotting before & few days after ovulation, swelling and abdominal pain at ovulation (which I've been getting for years), very sore breasts, then period after 25 days. I also had some gastro upset this month which may or may not be related. I had the worst PMS this month that I can ever remember having with pelic & abdominal cramping, bloating and breast soreness from ovulation up to time of period....this got much better right after it started.
My gyno thinks I'm probably ok and doesn't think its necessary to conduct further tests at this point, but I'm to go see him if I have any concerns. Ideally I'd have a simple endometrial biopsy performed and I'm working on getting that done.
I've been insisting on hormone tests as I'm convinced I'm in perimenopause...my mother went through menopause early (though I'm not sure exactly when). The Docs all say I'm definitely no in peri based on the hormone tests...I think they may say something different and am hoping for your help!!
They may read differently to your tests because I live in Australia... all results are in normal reference range except for estrogen...
Reference range for midcycle is 370-1500, for luteal 370-770- pmol/L. Menopausal reference range = less than 100. My first test was taken just after ovulation, my second 2 days before my last period and the readings were 268 & 269 respectively. Both readings below the reference range, but now 3 docs tell me I don't have low estrogen and not in peri????????????
I'm confused...help please!
Naomi

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-16-2006, 07:39 AM   #2
(female)

angelavan HB User
Re: Do I have Low Estrogen?

Hi Naomih,
Sure sounds like Peri to me. I'm 44 and my Dr told me that testing hormones when you are peri is unreliable since one day your hormones maybe high the next day very low. I had all the symptomes of hot flashes, night sweats, no energy, migrains, hair falling out etc.... He put me on an estrogen patch and I'm feeling so much better. I'm still hot, but it's been around 100 degrees here. You might want to talk about hormones again once you get the results of your biopsy. Ang

Old 08-16-2006, 08:49 AM   #3
(female)

pbjmom HB User

I don't know if it is low estrogen, but peri is most likely what you have. My fsh levels were in normal range, but likeAngelavan says, it all depends on how your hormones are fluctuating. My gyn says I am in "ovarian failure" i.e. perimenopause despite bloodwork because of the raging (and I mean raging) symptoms. Hot flashes, night sweats, anxiety, irregular periods (almost identical to what you describe) etc. My gyn is putting me on a low dose birth control to help. I will start them either this month or next. I may delay the start since I have just had my gallbladder removed and feel like adding a birth control pill to the recovery process may not sit well while my body adjusts to the lack of an organ!

Anyway, Naomih, I hope you can find relief. On the boards a lot of women are so helpful and lots of good information. Some things are natural supplements that can help with the symptoms of peri.

Take care!
pbjmom

Old 08-17-2006, 02:02 AM   #4

naomih HB User

Thank you so much for your replies. I am so confused about what's going on with me. The new tummy problems are scaring me good. At the same time my period goes back to 27-28 day normal cycles, my tummy started getting bad. Thought I had some relief during the first 2 days of my period, but now I have a gurgly gassy tummy again...the tummy's been funny for over a month now and I"m holding out on invasive tests (I've had many serious drug reactions in the past). A year ago I had heavy bleeding during my periods, last 3 have been back to normal bleeding. I know that I've had at least 1 serious hot flash about 4 months ago, though at the time I thought it was a stress reaction!!...but shortly after I read about hot flashes on the web & knew that was what I had. Really hot face, neck & shoulders while talking on phone on work call...I remember feeling very frightened (not knowing why I had heated up like that) but telling myself not to worry cause it had happened before (though I can't specifically remember when before). It only lasted about 1 minute, but my face was pink that night! The gynos who say I'm definitely not peri haven't explained to me why that might happen if I'm not peri??
Unfortunately my mother passed away last year from ovarian cancer, so I can't ask her these questions..
Does anyone get sharp pelvic pains that go away fairly quickly, then happen somewhere else in pelvic region?
Thanks again,
Naomi

Old 08-17-2006, 05:49 AM   #5
(female)

angelavan HB User

Naomih,
Is your mother the only one in your family that has had ovarian cancer?
My mother-in-law died last year with it. She did cemo for 6 years. Sure do miss her. Since your mother had ovarian cancer and you are having problems you may want to ask the Dr to do a CA 125 lab test. This is a blood test that will measure if you have any cancer in your system. Don't mean to scare you, but if your mom had it you should keep an eye on it. I have begged my sister-in-law to have her ovaries taken out because her mom, grandmother and aunt all died w/ ovarian cancer. She had the CA 125 test and it was normal. She said she will make this test part of her yearly exam. Hope you get to feeling better soon. Ang

Old 08-17-2006, 06:49 AM   #6

naomih HB User

Thanks for your reply Ang. I became familiar with C125 when my mother was sick & I had them run it (at my request) a few months ago...it was normal. They also had a good look at my ovaries during pelvic & abdominal ultrsounds...all look normal.
I will miss my mother alot too. Ovarian cancer is awful....unfortunately she only lived for 6 months after diagnosis...the doctors & hospital messed up bad with her....it was caught really late, they kept telling her it was probably stress causing her symptoms and didn't run any of the correct tests. Then they messed up bad with her treatment...I'm still very upset about it.
Anyhow, I too will make sure they keep a good eye on my ovaries...we're also possibly at higher risk for breast & colon cancer and will ensure I'm monitored.
Thanks again,
Naomi

Closed Thread