It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2006, 02:28 PM   #1
(female)

kellybag HB User
calcium/magneisium = CONSTIPATION?

Hi Lladies,
As I posted on my long anxiety note, I have tried taking a mag/calcium supplement in the form of a liquid. It is 600 calcium and 300 mag, which is right for my sz-5'0", 105lbs.

I took it before bed to help me sleep and for other symptoms for 4 days, but it constipated me. I have enough trouble with that anyway....[especially the week before my period], so I stopped.

I also bought the fish oil, but haven't started taking it. Any one else have this side effect with calcium/mag. and if so, what do you do for it?

On another note, my nails, which have always been great, are breaking left and right [pardon the pun]. Does any one have a solution? I hate to take a bunch of supplements, but my one-a-day essential is no longer doin the trick.Any good vitamin suggestions?

Thanks so much!

Old 08-16-2006, 04:55 PM   #2
(female)

Korikins HB User
Re: calcium/magneisium = CONSTIPATION?

I take my magnesium about an hour before bed along with my fish oil. I don't take the calcium before bed because I take carbonate and you have to take it with food or you won't get alot out of it.

I will post about calcium and things you should know when I can. I was surprised at what I was told.

BTW....you ladies should have a bone density test now, so that you can monitor it and make sure you're doing the right things to protect your bones.

Kori

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-17-2006, 09:09 AM   #3
(female)

Wizard HB User

I don't have that problem with magnesium. It actually makes my stool quite loose. Apparently the kind of magnesium we take does make a difference. You should take it in the buffered form like magnesium gluconate or citrate. Also if you tiny (and it sounds like you are) there's a good chance that any bone density tests you have done will show that you have osteoporosis. The tests are all designed for people with bigger bodies (since so many people these days have extra weight) and almost all small boned people appear to have bone loss when they could actually be normal. A good way to determine if you are losing bone is to measure your height now and keep an eye on whether you're shrinking.

As far as your nails go, try rubbing a cream with shea butter into them each night before bed. It's common as we reach menopausal age to have nails that suddenly become brittle and weak so nail care becomes more important.

Old 08-17-2006, 06:14 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

katidid95 HB User

Magnesium makes my stool looser also, which for me was okay because I tend to be constipated. I take between 400-500mg. I think this is a more common side effect than constipation. Have you changed your diet in any way or taking any other supplement that might cause the constipation?

My nails have also become more prone to splitting, etc. My thumb nails especially and they also have ridges. I think this may be an age/peri combo thing. And I don't think there's a damn thing you can do about it The only thing that helps me is if I keep a couple of layers of hardening type of nail polish (I just wear clear). It helps protect them. I think the moisturizing can help a little also.

Old 08-18-2006, 10:40 AM   #5
(female)

kaytee52 HB User

I recently had trouble with the splitting nails, too...had never had anything like that before. I found something that actually worked for me! It's "OPI Matte Nail Envy". It stopped the splitting very quickly and I think it's even helped the ridges.....A product that actually did what it said!.....

Closed Thread