It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2006, 04:44 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

NY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB User
Bone Density tests

well ladies, now that I'm in surgical menopause after having a hysterectomy last Oct.2005, I had to get my base line for bone density yesterday.
it's so quick and easy and you get to keep all your clothes on and even shoes.
they don't do the wrists like I thought they would.

I started having chronic back back in the spine a couple yrs ago but it's progressivly gotten to the point where I had to seek medical attention to find out what's going on. I've never taken calcium pills like suggested to me a few yrs back by my general dr. who's also a female who also told me she took them.

I don't really belive in vitamins and supplements and that's just my opinion.

I wonder if it reallly, really makes a difference to take them?

has anyone here had to take medication for osteoporosis?

I did a study many yrs ago when I was in my late twenties in a study for osteoporosis. this is when they were just being made aware of it and had hundreds of woman do volunteer study at a hospital far from where I lived at the time. it was really interesting to be part of a study.
the results then said my density was already below normal and that I should speak to my dr about it, but I never did. I was young and foolish.
when you're younger, you don't really think of what may happen in the future to our bodies. we take it for granted.
just like I took my youthful skin tone and glossey hair when I was younger.
I had no clue how drastically things would change once I stopped producing estrogen.
I am on a hormonal patch which has saved my life because I swear my body was aging way too quickly after the surgery without being on hormones.
I tried it without at first. only lasted a few weeks before the menopausal symtoms really kicked in and then realized I need assistance.

If I could take the over the counter products I would but is there proof that they really work? I wish I could speak to enough woman to find out if I should try this route because it would save me a heck of alot more money too.

the patches only come with 8 in the pkg and if you change it every 3 days like they suggest you do, you're always running back to get another RX.

I would like a cheaper system and one that's more natural if one exists.

I will take any suggestions from anyone who would like to share.

Linda

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-22-2006, 06:12 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

liverpool sue HB User
Re: Bone Density tests

hi lintek45. well, lots of questions and issues in your post. i know we all do take our youth and good health for granted, but i do wonder why you did nothing about your bone density a while ago when you knew it was below normal, i think i would have done. and now, i most certainly would go and see my doctor and have a chat about the usefulness of supplements. i have never been one for taking stuff, ever, until this year when the menopause symptoms really hit and i found this site. reading the 'natural solutions' section made me really read up on it all, and then go out and buy the stuff i reckon i needed which would help - magnesium, calcium, fish oil, etc. and boy did it help. i would so recomend any women going through all this to give it a go, you've nothing to loose and such a lot to gain. i'm nearly 54, have never been on hrt or anything, had my last period in jan/feb this year. it may not work for you but it certainly helped me. really hope you find what you're looking for.

sue

Closed Thread