It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2006, 08:13 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

terry1953 HB User
New Feelings

I have been dealing with perimenopause for a year now. As I've stated before, Ive had a handful of hot flashes, heavy periods, short periods, never missed on but twice I had 2 in one month, periods stopping abruptly, and in the beginning a few episodes of dizziness. I am at a time this month when I should be ovulating, altho there has been no discharge as their always is. I awoke feeling I guess the word would be sluggish. I have been caring for my recently turned 1 yr. old granddaughter who wears me out, but I love it. I know I am having some sciatica problems, but today its like I have NO energy. My whole body feels very weighted down like I don't want to do anything. Is this a possible symptom with menopause?
As I stated in a reply to someone asking about menopause, I have a month's sample here but fear taking them. I can count on 1 hand how many pain killers I have taken in 52 years. Thank God I am very healthy and seem to inherited good genes and immunity. I do take Alprazolam (generic of Xanax) and have been on them for 4 years and am doing real good. But the agoraphobia, worries and anxiety are still there but minimal. I have a fear of vomiting have had it all my life. No one knows except you all now, my husband and a support group on yahoo for it. You can imagine my excitement when I found that others suffer, so because of this I fear side effects of meds, mainly nausea and vomiting. The fear is so gripping, it can drive you absolutely batty, but the odd thing is, that I haven't vomited since I was 10!! My mom and dad went well over 40 years without doing it and the only reason my dad was ill was because he had appendicitis. He was 77 at the time, before that he was sick at 19 on his way to fight in WW2 on the ship due to sea sickness. But my point is, I really fear vomiting, I want to take the med so bad but am so afraid. Please be honest with me and let me know if you had any side effects. I have researched it to death and it seems most handle it very well. My doctor told me I can start with a lower dose, so I have cut the pills into 1/4's, 2.5mg each, so my goal date to start is Sept. 1st. I will mainly be taking it to help with my agoraphobia, depression and repetetive thoughts of being ill. On top of all this now I deal with perimenopause. We women sure have it rough. Thank you for any help at all. [DELETED] I appreciate all the help and sorry for rambling.

Last edited by mod-anon; 08-22-2006 at 08:29 AM. Reason: private contact is not allowed

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-22-2006, 08:33 AM   #2

mod-anon HB User
Re: New Feelings

Please read the posting rules which explain that offering or asking off board contact is not permitted. The boards are to be used for on board sharing, only. The email and private message features are turned off so that use of the message boards remain anonymous. The only contact you may make with members is to post on the board.

Old 08-22-2006, 01:58 PM   #3
(female)

pbjmom HB User

Hi Terry,
What sample do you have? Is it a birth control or pain killer?

I, too, am at the point in my cycle when I am to ovulate and I am not. Nothing. Yet, I feel horrible. I am achey in my head and neck, tired, and I have the heavy feeling like you describe with some tingling feelings. I know it is not the flu because this seems to happen each month when I am supposed to be ovulating. The only thing that is different this time is less anxiety. I have been on Zoloft for almost two months now and that seems like it is finally helping with the anxiety. This should clear in the next few days, but it makes me so down.

Luckily, we have these boards and other women who can share in this. Keep us posted on how you are doing!
Pbjmom

Old 08-22-2006, 03:51 PM   #4
(female)

heitara HB User

Terry, last time I vomited was when I was eighteen and got thoroughly drunk for my birthday. I know how you feel, even if mine is not really a phobia, I dread the idea of throwing up, it really makes me feel scared. And I don't think there is anything to be ashamed of, thank you for putting your trust in this board and sharing it with us. All of the symptoms you have described, including agoraphobia, anxiety, constant thoughts of being ill, are very commong among us. If you - like myself - have suffered of these neurosis before menopause, don't be afraid if it seems they are coming on with more violence now. It is natural. Unpleasant but natural. You won't lose your mind with obsessive thoughts, you won't die, you won't be out of control. You will just be in this same, crazy, unsteady boat with the rest of us. There is nothing you can say or complain about that will take us by surprise. Or that we'll judge. I started four months ago to skip periods for a month or two, then I would have my period twice in a month, then nothing again and today, feeling bloated like a baloon, emotional like a baby, insecure and pessimistic like...dunno, like myself, lol, today I'm still waiting for my period, after it's been eight days late, with all the symptoms of being on the verge of getting it and knowing it's not happening.
RATS!
Anyway, I realize I haven't answered your question. I don't know which medications you're about to take so unless you fill me in I won't be able to give you my two cents. I basically just wanted you to keep in mind you're not different from the others. You're unique, but not different.
Hugs

"I'm not young enough to know everything". O. Wilde

Old 08-22-2006, 05:41 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Belle2003 HB User

Many people suffer from some kind of fear (phobia). My co-worker suffered from the fear of having her nose plugged. If anyone came to work sounding nasal she freaked out for fear they had a cold and she would catch it. When she did get a cold she would pace and be so aggitated. We had no idea at the time how stressed she was and that she even thought of suicide. She finally told her physician about this and he prescribed celexa. He said she suffered from a phobia and that this would help. Long story short, she is so happy, has no more fear of stuffy noses, colds, etc. She spends more time with her 8 grandchildren since she does not fear them giving her something. She tells everyone about the miracle pill "Celexa". So you may want to ask your doctor if Celexa is right for you (phobia of vomiting). It might be worth not having this stress in your life.

Closed Thread