It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2006, 05:00 AM   #1
(female)

MsMocha HB User
End of Menopause - Estrogen needed?

I'm at the end of Menopause. I no longer have any symptoms (Thank Goodness!). My question is "Do I still need to take my phytoestrogen once Menopause is over?"

Old 08-24-2006, 04:07 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

NY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB User
Re: End of Menopause - Estrogen needed?

it's a good question but I have no answer.
I was alittle confused about menopause to begin with.
If I'm in menopause now, due to surgical abruption, when does my menoapuse end? I am already in menopause.
I thought once a woman reached menopause it meant that she wasn't getting her periods anymore for a full yr.( I don't get my periods now)
symtoms of perimenopause start sometimes 10 yrs before full menopause has arrived or ended. which is it?
so do the symtoms end when you reach it?
I'd ask your gynocologist this question and would love to hear back from you due to my curiousness too.
if you don't have to be on estrogen and suffer no more symtoms, why be on it?
do I make any sense?
Linda

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-27-2006, 06:39 PM   #3
(female)

ShabbyCottage HB User
Re: End of Menopause - Estrogen needed?

Hi I went through about 6 years of pretty bad hot flashes & night sweats. I started those symptoms just a year after having my uterus out at age 44. (kept ovaries) So yes, it can be difficult to pinpoint WHEN it's all over if you don't have periods.
I did go on estradiol patch when the night sweats came every 22 minutes ALL night. Dr felt I was probably at the end meno symptoms. I stayed on it less than a year. When I weaned off I did get some mild symptoms back for a few months. Then I thought I was all set.
But having NO estrogen caused some problems for me. I knew vaginal dryness could be an issue, I didn't know about vaginal atrophy, the horrible pain. I really had no idea how important it was to keep the vaginal tissues healthy.
I started on the patch again this winter but more imnportantly the rx vaginal cream. Big improvemnt with a couple weeks.
BUT! then I herniated my vagina...because I don't have a uterus & the pelvic floor & tissue weren't strong it prolapsed. It was the most terrible thing to go through. I know that lack of estrogen can be a factor, so...there's another confusing factor.
We are all different how we react..my mother went through meno naturally no troubles at all, done at age 45...& has never taken anything. (she's 76)
I aged so much so fast...body & skin changes, I am 52 & have female health issues most women age 70 have.
So here we all are...wondering!?

Closed Thread