It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2006, 10:17 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Linma2428 HB User
appetite

Just wondering if any of you have this same thing with your appetite or dietary changes. I really don't have an appetite for real food. I use to be able to diet and eat a piece of fish or chicken. A salad and vegetable and I would also eat the desert type foods to. But I didn't worry about the deserts or junk food because I was eating good stuff to. Now I can't stand the thought of eating meat, vegetables and even salads which I use to love. I am taking vitamins trying to compenstate for my lack of eating correctly. If I do manage to make something normal I will put it on my plate and take a few bits and throw it away. The only things I want to eat are. Soup, instant mashed potatoes, ice cream, rice, milk. No real protein of any kind. I will make myself eat a piece of fish or chicken about once a week. This really isn't like me. I am 50 and having all the perimenopause symptoms. Been having 2 periods a month some times. Really bad night sweats and insomnia only sleep 2 or 3 hours a night/day. I have been drinking a lot of water though I guess from sweating so much. I don't even care about chocolate and the last time I ate cake I got sick. I haven't lost any weight though you would think I would but haven't. Any way just curious if anyone identifies with this. I will add that I will eat pizza here and there still but don't have much of a taste for it. Sometimes it still seems good.

Linda

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2006, 02:10 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

chillijava HB User
Re: appetite

boy am i having problems with my appetite
all i want to do these days is eat crappy foods and snack all day, the thought of cooking a real meal makes me feel bad.
these cravings are driving me mad, i only want to eat chocolate, crisps etc.
it reminds me of when i was pregnant with all these cravings and then sometimes i dont want to eat anything.
so you are not the only one and no doubt there are many others having this problem

andrea

Old 08-25-2006, 04:31 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

ICC HB UserICC HB UserICC HB User

yep same here!!! am a diabetic so i eat really healthy but since going through menopause it is a real struggle. i am thinking about ice-cream while eating all meals>LOL

Old 08-25-2006, 05:10 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

liverpool sue HB User

for me it's carbohydrates, anything starchy at the moment, chips, mash, bread (oooh fresh bread) crisps, scones. i really have to treat fruit and veg like medicine, force myself to eat it because it's good for me, yet in the past i couldn't get enough. the biggest part of my grocery bill has always been fresh fruit and veg but i'm throwing half of it away because i'm just not eating it. i had heard that menopausal women's tastes change and they go more for stronger tastes, salty and tangy and spicy, but for me its not that at all, just fattening, bulky, really unhealthy carbs. perhaps someone on these boards can tell us why??????

sue

Old 08-25-2006, 07:54 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Linma2428 HB User

Well this must be what is going on with me. Everything you all write is what I feel to. So strange, and the part about having to cook a mean make you sick me to. I guess I am wanting carbs probably to and why I am not eating much protein. I hope when this is over with we go back to a better appetite.
Thanks Linda

Old 08-31-2006, 05:03 PM   #6
(female)

kellybag HB User

Yep, I, too have weird cravings and no appetite for real food. These days I'm big on ice cream [which I could always take or leave], and wintergreen tic-tacs and lifesavers. How weird is that?

It's getting very hard to eat right, yet I feel so much better if I do.
This is combined with my constipation and bloating.....

Old 09-01-2006, 06:15 AM   #7
(female)

Mistyeyze HB User

I've had this problem all through peri.... I had to force myself to cook for my family.... even grocery shopping became such a chore... It's hard to shop when you are nauseated. What I started doing, and I think it has helped is to buy the high protein shakes like Slim Fast high protein and the Zone shakes also. I can get those down pretty easy because it's not a lot of volume, but high in protein and taste okay.

Old 09-01-2006, 09:19 AM   #8
(female)

Diane05 HB User

I have luckily been able to keep control of my weight, in fact, have weighed less over this last year than I have in a long time, but food does not taste the same to me anymore. Don't get me wrong, I'm a sugarholic, always have been, but nothing tastes as good as it used to. I told DH it's as if my taste buds weren't burnt or something, I just don't enjoy food like I used to, but I still eat it...lol It's just aggravating when you sit down to this delicious table of food and it just does not seem to have any taste to me anymore, very bland, and very weird, but what isn't weird about this stage in our lives.....

Closed Thread