It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2006, 11:18 AM   #1
(female)

Ineed advice HB User
Menopause vs Endometrial Ablation

I am 55, have been having very heavy/flooding periods for 8 years and am now being offered an endometrial ablation. Should I go ahead with the operation or wait for menopause? Am scared stiff of the operation but cant bear the continuing saga of flooding, anaemia, being down and feeling tired. I also have several tender breast lumps (have had 2 removed) - will the ablation affect these? Help please!

Last edited by Ineed advice; 08-28-2006 at 11:19 AM.

Old 08-29-2006, 05:16 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

deinee HB User
Re: Menopause vs Endometrial Ablation

I have 2 friends that had the ablation. One it worked great, never had another period, the other didn't have a period for several months, then started right back in again with a very heavy flow. I guess you have to decide how bad it is for you. If your periods are really causing your quality of life to decrease, maybe you should consider the surgery. I am on the pill for the same reason, heavy non-stop periods. I will go off this fall, then I am sure the bad periods will return. I guess I will see how bad it gets again, I may think about having the ablation too. I don't think having the ablation will change anything with your breast problems. That is probably due to hormone changes, like everything else during this time of our lives! Good luck, Ann

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-03-2006, 09:20 AM   #3
(female)

Ineed advice HB User

Thank you Ann for your support and comments - these have helped me. I do hope it all goes well for you when you stop taking the pill.

Last edited by Ineed advice; 09-03-2006 at 09:22 AM.

Old 09-11-2006, 07:14 PM   #4
(female)

LovingLife HB User

I am going to be 50 next month. I have always had very heavy periods, but they had gotten much worse over the last several years. Even though peri-menopause had started in my early 40's, my doc suggested I go ahead with an endometrium ablation because my quality of life and health was suffering.

I had the ablation 1 1/2 years ago, and it was the best thing I ever did. Now, a few junior tampons and a couple panti liners takes care of my entire period. At this time, I have missed 3 of my last 4 periods, so my "change" is coming on hot and heavy. I have been feeling like an explosion of hormones these past months due to peri-menopause, but the ablation was one of the best decisions I ever made.

Old 09-13-2006, 12:59 PM   #5
(female)

jaineah HB User

Hello; I had the procedure done June 1st. So far am doing great. A friend of mine had it done and it was a year before she had another period. She is glad she had it done, me too!!

Hope all turns out great!

Closed Thread