It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2006, 09:34 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

arlmon18 HB User
mandarra (hives)

I was reading your post below about hives. I started menapause at age 50. Out of nowhere I started to get hives - I went to so many doctors and dermotologists - they did biopsies which confirmed that they were hives, but they didn't know why I had them. I had blood work - nothing showed up. No one mentioned that it could be hormonal changes, but I know now that it was. I had them for over a year - coming and going. My GP told me to take Benadryl and that they would go away the same way they came. He was right, but I was so miserable during that time period.

Old 09-04-2006, 12:48 PM   #2
(female)

Mandarra HB UserMandarra HB User
Re: mandarra (hives)

Hi, do you think it is hormone related? My doctor didn't help me at all. I took Benedryl and Reactine for nine and a half months, then they disappeared and now I'm starting to see little flare ups again. I have never had hives in my life, never been allergic to anything and at 48, boom, hives, I don't get it. This really made my health anxiety go through the roof. I hope mine stay away, have yours gone now?
Mary

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-04-2006, 05:29 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

deinee HB User

The hives drive me nuts. I have had them off and on for years. I take Singulair for my asthma and the hives, and Benadryl daily. Some days are worse than others. I have always had problems with hay fever, so maybe some of us are just more allergic types that when the hormone changes flair up so do the allergic reactions. I can't hardly even touch my dog anymore, and something at my work is making my hands break out all the time. I should have stock in hydrocortisone cream! I don't want to go thru all the allergy testing, I don't think it would help. I will just continue with antihistamines and cream. I am glad I am not alone. Ann

Old 09-05-2006, 08:21 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

arlmon18 HB User

I forgot to add that I saw 2 doctors for allergies - negative for everything. The hives are gone now, thank goodness. (It was about 8-9 years ago that I had them). They would go away, and maybe a few months later they came back again, but not so bad. As I said, this went on for more than a year. It's very frustrating and very uncomfortable. I feel that it was from the beginning of menopause - I can't think of any other reason. The Benadryl helped me alot, but made me so sleepy - it was hard to take during the day and be able to function. Even a 1/2 a pill made me sleepy. When I had the outbreak, it would start in the morning, by night, they disappeared. Next morning, slowly but surely they would reappear. The only doctor I didn't see for the hives, was the gyno - not one doctor even mentioned anything about menopause causing the hives.

Closed Thread