It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2006, 12:24 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

melanie in mary HB User
INSOMNIA a big issue

I am 38 years old. If I remember correctly my mom was in menopause in the mid 40 age range. I feel like I am in perimenopause. My biggest complaints are being hot a good bit of the time, and this is a big one INSOMNIA. I feel like just the insomnia is taking over my life. We all know no matter what happens the best way for the body to heal itself, in order to be in a good mood the next day,etc. is to get sleep. I never seem to go in a deep sleep if anything it is like a light, unrefreshing sleep. Does anyone have any ideas, tips, tricks, etc. to help with this? I would be so grateful.By the way, I have been to the doctor and have been prescribed sleeping pills like Ambien. It is kind of hit and miss sometimes they work other times no and I try my best not to even take things like that because it doesn't help me to get the natural sleep I need. Are there any natural supplements out there?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-05-2006, 02:42 PM   #2
(female)

Wizard HB User
Re: INSOMNIA a big issue

I use magnesium since it's a natural relaxant. I also take flax seed oil and B Stress supplements since anxiety during peri can cause insomnia.

Make sure you eliminate all caffeinated beverages after the dinner hour, establish a regular bedtime routine, head off to bed at the same time each night etc.

You could also try melatonin which is a natural product your body produces. Some women get great results from it but you do have to take it regularly for a week or so before it starts working. It's non-addictive unlike most sleeping pills.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-05-2006, 06:05 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Taimse HB User

Is the magnesium in the form of magnesium sulfate? Magnesium glycinate?
My chiropractor says there is a difference in absorption.

Old 09-05-2006, 09:00 PM   #4
(female)

Korikins HB User

I've been having trouble sleeping as well. I've been taking magnesium for quite some time and I also have a pill the doctor gave me but it's not working for me much. I'm not sure if I'm just having a bad spell or what. I was feeling pretty good for that last few weeks but today I'm draggin' and my neck is stiff as a board again. Ugh!

Kori

Old 09-09-2006, 11:32 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

katidid95 HB User

I also have had problems with insomnia. Usually falling asleep is the hardest, but I also have problems with waking in the middle of the night for 1-2 hours. I also take magnesium (citrate). My Dr. recommended 400-500 mg. I think I get the lower end because I get some in my daily vitamin, so only take one capsule of 250 mg. I also take Valerian and Chamomile for sleep. Look in your health food store in the sleep section, and you will probably find various ones. I do think it helps me to get drowsy.

I also completely gave up caffeine and I notice on days I exercise I usually sleep the best. When I'm PMS, nothing really helps, so I just have a night or two of bad sleep.

My Dr. did give me Ambien when it was at it's worst 1-1/2 years ago (I was litteraly sleeping less than 3 hours a night). But I only take it if I've had 2-3 nights in a row of bad sleep.

Closed Thread