It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2006, 08:30 AM   #1
(female)

metayer4 HB User
41 and menopause !!! :( please offer help..

ok - I have not had a period since february and because of a left ovary removal a couple years ago, this has put me into perimenopause - My gyno has put me on a low dose of estrogen to help with the hot flashes, etc. How long before I notice a bit of a change with this medication? I am constantly tired with no energy and just an over all feeling of blah. Does it take days/weeks, before (if any) this med kicks in and I start feeling a little more energized?

thanks in advance for help..

Old 09-07-2006, 10:19 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

chillijava HB User
Re: 41 and menopause !!! :( please offer help..

hi
you should start to notice a difference in a week to ten days, but you may not see the full benefit for upto three months. if you are still feeling not right they may have to adjust your dose, hope this helps

andrea

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-07-2006, 10:21 AM   #3
(female)

metayer4 HB User

Thanks Andrea;

At least this gives me an idea - hoping this helps with the tiredness!

Old 09-13-2006, 08:50 PM   #4
(female)

glasscrab HB User

hi
I haven't had a period since June and all pregnancy tests are negative. Apart from that I'm feeling pretty good. But when i've read up on the other symptoms ( I'm really cranky and angry and thought it was Life stuff... and fatigued like I've got new babies) I've suddenly thought, jeesus! am i menopausal! I'm only 41 too! i mean, quite frankly i don't mind the menstruation stopping at all, but it's a little strange to wrap my head around i guess its hard to think of yourself as growing old, like old lady old, and not being able to have any more children, not that i want more, I have three super honeys, but but but it's a little sad.
So. If i go and see a doctor, what are they going to do?

Old 09-14-2006, 07:38 AM   #5
(female)

gtts4u HB User

I am only 39yo in Early Menopause.
Chillijava is right in that it usually take 7-10 days to start to feel better.
What type of HRT are you on?
Sometimes it takes awhile of fine tuning to get to just the right dose and right kind that is right for you. There are so many different kinds of HRT.
I have been so exhausted so my dr. just changed me to Estratest. He swears that it is the best and that my energy level should increase dramatically.
Hope he's right!

Glasscrab-
If you go to the DR., they will probably test your estrodial and FSH levels. If you aren't having bad symptoms, you do not neccessarily need HRT. There are alot of OTC things you can take. With that in mind, make sure that you get the calcium that you need. I have been told that Early Menopause can increase your rate of bone loss leading to Osteoporosis. You should also get a bone scan done. My sister is only 45 and has horrible bone loss.
Hope this helps.

Last edited by gtts4u; 09-14-2006 at 07:44 AM.

Old 09-14-2006, 03:44 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

MommaBee HB User

I wish I was in menopause! I am still in the perimenopausal part. I am 50 and still having periods, though they are about 3 to 4 months apart now.
Menopause is when you haven't had any bleeding for 12 months straight. Perimenopause is before that, when your ovaries start to stop making hormones. I just wanted to clairfy that.
In peri, you can have all kinds of symptoms like depression, irregular periods, crashing fatigue, loss of libido, mood swings, difficulty concentrating, itchy-crawly skin, and the list goes on.
I, myself have just learned to live with it all and learned that this is a life process that with each new 'symtom' I can adjust. I did HRT at the start of my symptoms, because I was bleeding for weeks at a time, but now I take nothing. Sometimes, it seems unbearable, but I am now starting to come out the other side of all of this. My journey has been 11 years long.
I think that we women need to learn all we can about this part of our lives, so that it doesn't smack us in the face. Knowledge is the key to keeping ourselves happy and healthy.
Wishing you all the best!

Closed Thread