It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2006, 10:38 AM   #1
(female)

Raindrop1 HB User
Peri Menopause and TMJ

Hi Ladies

I have another quesiton to ask. When I was younger I had a mild case of TMJ (Temple Madibular Joint) and it went away for years. Now.... that I am in Peri-menopause it has come back and it is horrible . My dentist made a splint for me to wear at night and it helps a little. I was just wondering if anybody else is experiencing this symptom too? I know muscle tension comes with Peri-menopause. Does it go away as our bodies start to decline with homones instead of the up and downs as we expierence while going through Peri-menopause? Thanks for your support!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-07-2006, 12:28 PM   #2
(female)

Dansgrl HB User
Re: Peri Menopause and TMJ

Yes! I too had always had a mild case (couldn't chew gum for long, etc.) I had to be fit for a splint to wear 24/7 and will need braces at the age of 45! I think a lot of it had to do with me clenching my jaws so much because I was irritated all the time. Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-07-2006, 12:38 PM   #3
(female)

ljt77 HB Userljt77 HB Userljt77 HB Userljt77 HB User

I am in that boat too, seems peri has made EVERYTHING worse, mt TMJ, IBS, irritability, fatigue, weight, you name it!

Old 09-07-2006, 02:56 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

deinee HB User

I had never had TMJ problems until several years ago after a minor procedure at the dentist's. I was in misery for months. I had an MRI, splint made and lived on Lortab. The dentist thought it was strange I had so much trouble for the minor amount of work that was done. I really think the peri hormone changes kicked in and made things worse. Like the rest of the symptoms I have had, the pain finally went away in time, and now I am rarely bothered by it. I hate that I spent so much money on the tests and splints since insurance didn't cover. Live and learn. Good luck, Ann

Old 09-08-2006, 12:21 PM   #5
(female)

s cubed HB User
Cool Re: Peri Menopause and TMJ

I too was diagnosed with TMJ two years ago and never thought about any peri connection until I just read this thread.
I refused to have any splint made up and would not buy a guard instead I went for acuncpture and within a few sessions I literally felt my jaw drop and within a few months I was completely cured. Now whenever I feel it coming on Maybe every 6 months or so I go back for a couple of treatments and I'm good to go.

Closed Thread