It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2006, 09:43 PM   #1
(female)

outnumbered HB User
Almost 50 and on BCP forever - what should I expect?

I'm almost 50 and have been on BCP for almost 30 years. My Dr. said I need to get off them since I'm heading into menopause BUT what can I expect? I'm very spoiled having regular, minimal periods. Am I going to feel like a 14 year old again with cramps, heavy flow, mood swings, etc.? I don't seem to have any menopause symptoms yet. Has anyone else been through this?

Old 09-11-2006, 12:28 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

younggranny HB User
Re: Almost 50 and on BCP forever - what should I expect?

I have the same question as you. I am 47 and have been on birth control pills for about 18 years. I'm thinking it is time to be getting off also, but i am wondering what my body will feel like. Will we go into instant menopause. I wonder if there is some herb or natural product we should take to help our bodies adjust. I'm hoping someone can give us some answers.. I am also wondering if getting off the BCP will make me loose lots of hair, because of the hormonal change? Just alot of questions..and no answers!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-12-2006, 11:46 AM   #3
(female)

icemama HB User

Count me in too. I'm 49 & have taken bcp for 21 yrs. Gyno wants me to
start estrogens only (I still have my uterus & ovaries intact) after my next period (a wk. from today). Will I go from a planned & very light monthly period to nothing at all or will the dam break? Gyno says I won't have a period anymore. He hasn't even checked my FSH yet.

Go ahead and laugh as I do but this is pretty scary stuff. Please help us. If you know of anyone who's gone thru this, please post their experience.

Thanks!

Old 03-18-2007, 07:59 PM   #4
(female)

judy3705 HB User

I am 48 and have been on the Pill since I was 20. Went off for a year at age 26, then right back on them. I have never had any side effects, don't smoke and exercise regularly. Never been pregnant. I asked my gynecologist about how you would know if you are going through menopause if you were on the pill. He said your "periods" would eventually taper off or become very light. The last 2 years this has been the case. I basically "spot" now. I too, don't want to get off the Pill because of the convenience. He recommended that I stay on them and when I am about 50 or so he will test me to see if I have gone through menopause. In he meantime he said the pill will regulate any peri-menopausal symptoms.

Has anyone done this? I am curious as to what will happen when I get off the Pill, after I go through menopause.

Old 03-18-2007, 08:29 PM   #5
(female)

icemama HB User

Hi Judy. I'm fifty now and I did get off the pill back in Sept. when I posted my last response. I was afraid that my hot flashes and other menopause symptoms would worsen. I began taking Enjuvia, conjugated estrogens. I feel fantastic!

While I was on the pill, it was as though I had no moisture in my body. My vagina, my complexion, and my skin were dry and dull. Sex drive was completely gone. But since taking estrogens, my periods have been extremely light and come every 40 to 60 days. They last 2 or 3 days. Sex drive is back and no longer uncomfortable. My skin is baby soft, and don't laugh, but my breasts have gotten perkier, and my nipples are soft, where as on the pill they were dry and scaly. Yuck! For once in many years, I feel like a real woman. Even feel sexy. Oh, and I've lost 10 lbs., simply by substituting a big dinner with a snack instead. Could be ice cream, popcorn, or cereal, anything you love, as long as it is not a heavy meal. I couldn't lose an ounce while on the pill.

I don't know if you have any menopause symptoms, but the estrogens help me breeze through them. Not sure if this would help you also, but it could be something to talk to your gyno about. I wish you well. God Bless!

Old 03-18-2007, 08:55 PM   #6
(female)

judy3705 HB User

Wow that sounds great! If I do half as good as that I'll be thrilled. I haven't been experiencing any major symptoms. Maybe a little restless sleeping now and again and sometimes I wake up at night sweating around my neck and chest. Not often enough to bother me. My facial skin has been looking a bit yucky, and I have always had nice skin. I have gained 10 pounds in the last year and a half despite the fact that I work out like a maniac and watch every morsel that goes into my mouth. My Dr did say he would put me on other hormones when the FSH test showed I was in menopause and stopped taking the pill. I'll have to make note of Enjuvia. You make me look forward to menopause. One more question? Did he ever do the FSH test?

Old 03-18-2007, 09:24 PM   #7
(female)

icemama HB User

Yes, he did Judy. Don't remember the results, but I can tell you in 3 wks. when I go back for a followup. I am in menopause. Started perimenopause symptoms when I was about 45. Those night sweats around the neck and chest are the dead giveaway that you're approaching the big M.

I wish I could've started estrogens alot sooner. It would have prevented me from panicking when I had a racing heart, itchy skin, carpal tunnel, and anxiety. It's amazing how so many side effects are caused by menopause, yet we seek other treatments and medications when HRT can be a huge help.

Keep us posted on your progress. You are never alone.

Old 03-19-2007, 03:57 AM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I was on bcp for a long time as well. When I started having peri symptoms, my doctor changed the bcp I was taking. At age 57, I could tell my body wanted to stop being forced to have periods. I missed a couple of periods and some were more like spotting - even on the bcp. I talked with my doctor and she put me on HRT and I haven't had a period since. That was 4 years ago. It's wonderful! She did tell me I might have some bleeding for a couple of months but I didn't.

Old 03-19-2007, 08:22 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

Isis498 HB User

I don't have any answer for this, but I can say, I am totally amazed I have never heard of a Dr. leaving a woman on BC for this long before! Maybe I've been out of the loop or something, I don't know. But I can't imagine what it would conceivably do to a body, being on synthetic hormones that long.

I hope you ladies make the transition well. And if you need an HRT to help, that you will consider a bioidentical one.

Old 03-24-2007, 03:59 AM   #10
(female)

Ariannalie HB User

Hi, I am turning 53 soon, and my gyno had specificially said when I turned 52 I had to go off ALesse, the birth control pill I had been on for the past 7 years etc. Since then I haven't had any bleeding, but have had hot flashes, body aches, moodiness, crying sometimes for no reason etc etc. so I am going on an Estrogen patch and then progesterone pill added in in a few weeks and I am hoping my sex drive returns and I lose the other symptoms!

Closed Thread