It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2006, 05:02 PM   #1
(female)

roland92 HB User
first time poster with peri symptoms

hi, i'm a first time poster here. i have been reading all the posts and i find that i have some of the symptoms here. i have been trying fist oil caps with vit e for the past week for anxiety. has anyone else been on them for this? i find that my blood pressure has been lower than usual. it is now about 96/56. it worries me that that is too low. i have been having what i call power surges through my body and my heart also races for no reason. i have seen a cardiologist and have been on heart monitors. he says that i do have moments of tachs but hasn't said much else. i also suffer from extreme fatigue that hits all of a sudden. just comes over me and i feel like i'm just going to drop! Anyone else get this? i also suffer from occular migraine. My doctor has also put me on b2 vit. for migrane but i'm afraid to take them because i heard that they jazz you up. i don't want more anxiety. Any one else on b2? thanks for letting me ramble on!

Old 10-30-2006, 05:19 AM   #2
(female)

Mac2 HB User
Re: first time poster with peri symptoms

Hi

I am 45 and think I am in peri and still have my periods.

I too have low blood pressure, but think I have always been like this. My doctor told me this is nothing to worry about and is a lot better than high blood pressure as your heart doesn't have to work so hard. Can you describe what you mean by power surges through your body? I have this weird feeling which I find hard to explain in my arms. I think it may come from the back of my head and it only last for a few seconds. It comes on all of a sudden and feels like a weakness coming over me and it usually happens when I am just sitting or lying watching telly. My arms feel a bit tingly. Maybe it is something to do with the low blood pressure, I just don't know.

I also suffer from extreme fatigue when I have a period. All the symptoms you describe are listed as menopausal symptoms though I don't know about the low blood pressure.
Take care,

Sandie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-30-2006, 07:17 AM   #3
(female)

roland92 HB User

Hi sandi
I am also 45. the power surges that i get usually start in my chest and wash over my whole body. it feels like someone shot a needle full of adreniline into my system. i had one the other night that would come upon me and then subside then 5 minutes later would come upon me again. this went on for 30 minutes. i have had anxiety attacks since i first started my period but these don't feel like regular anxiety. i do also get at times a squeezing feeling in my head at my temples. this sometimes is accompanied by my heart racing. it's weird. i would really like to find something that helps with this. i also get tingling in my hands and sometimes my forhead. my neuro doc said that it could be part of my migraines. do you ever get migraines with tingling? That might be what you are experiencing. i haven't heard about a link to blood pressure and tingling. you can get a big change in blood pressure when lying down. this sometimes happens to me. you may want to take your pressure when lying down then stand and take it to see the difference.

Old 10-31-2006, 03:05 AM   #4
(female)

Mac2 HB User
Cool Re: first time poster with peri symptoms

Hi

That's a good description of what I suffer when I get these funny feelings, like someone has injected something into me. I'm going to start noting down exactly when I am having these feelings as I am sure that they are hormonal.

I haven't had any of these feelings for a few days. Last I had was last week a few days after my period, worst time for hormone fluctuations, I suppose. When I was ill with the inner ear disease last year and suffered from anxiety, I used to get this feeling rushing over my arms when each anxiety attack started. What's happening now is similar to that but not exactly the same. It is not accompanied by feelings of panic though it is a little scary.

I also suffer from the tingly feeling in my head which is a recent thing for me. I have suffered from headaches nearly every day since the onset of my last period, though they are not strong. But I do get a tingly feeling on top of my head, like I have a cap on!

Such fun isn't it?

Sandie

Old 10-31-2006, 07:27 AM   #5
(female)

Wink HB User

Hi,

The power surges that you described happened to me, and were possibly the most frightening symptom that I had when peri first hit me. It was like being injected with a large dose of adrenaline. Afterward I would experience some tingling in my face, hands and sometimes feet. I would also get off-balance and feel a bit dizzy. I am only 46, and in menopause, so these symptoms have subsided, but I sometimes still get a "surge", like this morning. I was talking with a co-worker and it came upon me out of the blue. It lasted for about 15 minutes, and is now subsiding. Even now, when I know what it is, and that it will pass, it still causes me anxiety. My first thought is always that I am having some sort of stroke, because of the tingling and dizziness.

Hang in there,

Wink.

Old 10-31-2006, 07:49 AM   #6
(female)

roland92 HB User

Peri is soooo exhausting! Short of breath today for no reason. Most of the power surges I'm having are at night. When they happen at night, they wake me up. All I can do is lie there and let it happen. Wink, have your periods stopped completely? Mine are very heavy and still come every month. I will be 46 in Jan. and hope all this will be done soon.

Old 10-31-2006, 08:22 AM   #7
(female)

Wink HB User

My periods have stopped completely. I am in menopause, haven't had a period for well over a year. My power surges usually happen in the morning, but I have had an occasional one at night. I would also sometimes get a queasy stomach along with the adrenaline rush. I can say that these "episodes" happen way less then they used to when peri first kicked in.

The way it was explained to me(by an endocronologist) was that when your hormones take a severe "dip" this is when the adrenaline like surges happen. As your body adjusts to this new hormonal level, your symptoms fluctuate for a while, then level off, and you feel OK for a while. These "hormonal adjustments" can be severe at first, and can happen quite frequently, but as you go along they happen less and less frequently and lessen in severity. The main thing is try and remain calm when they happen, easier said then done I know. I just really remind myself that it will pass, that it is just a hormonal fluctuation, and I'll be fine in a little while. Doing that helps to ease my anxiety and the episodes pass more quickly.

I have read that as menopause approaches, some women do get heavier periods that are closer together. Mine was the opposite. My periods got lighter and lighter and less frequent until I stopped altogether.

Wink.

Old 11-01-2006, 06:37 AM   #8
(female)

Mac2 HB User

Hi Wink,

Glad to hear that these power surges are 'normal', and makes sense what you are saying about them being worse when the hormones take a dip.

My periods have been getting closer together for a while now and while I was always heavy and my normal period was over seven days, I am now very heavy and bleed for only two days, the first day being horrific. This has been going on for ages. It can be an absolute nightmare if my first two days hit my working days as I am never away from the toilet. Roll on a complete stoppage altogether!

Mac2

Old 11-01-2006, 05:15 PM   #9
(female)

roland92 HB User

wink,
thanks for letting me know that you go through these surges too. it does really help me. i am trying to cope with all the changes but some days i feel like i sit and wait for something to happen. i know this is a bad thing! i was thinking about seeing an endo doc on my own. my pcp said that she thought that wasn't necessary. were you referred to an endo? i thought i might get an ideas from the endo as to where i am in peri. take care!

Old 11-03-2006, 09:48 AM   #10
(female)

Wink HB User

Hi Roland92,

I was referred to the endo by my primary care doc, mostly because he just couldn't figure out what the heck was wrong with me! I had all kinds of tests and everything kept coming back normal (thank goodness). So he said it might help to see the endocronologist just in case he was missing something. The endo doc really just gave me peace of mind, that most likely all these crazy symptoms were due to menopause, they just weren't the "usual" things that you here about, like hot flashes and such. I rarely get those really bad surges anymore, the first ones were the worst, and as time went on they really decreased in severity and frequency.

Hang in there!
Wink.

Old 11-03-2006, 06:40 PM   #11
(female)

roland92 HB User

thanks wink! glad to hear that the surges subside as time goes on. the surges and anxiety are the worst symptoms for me. (i also hate the occurlar migraines) i am trying to get through everything without taking any medications. i do take fish oil and i am starting b2 for migraines. i hope i can make it out of this with my sanity! i appreciate your help!
take care!

Closed Thread