It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2006, 03:37 PM   #1
(female)

nearlyoap HB User
Spotting After Menopause

Hi - light spotting after menopause. Can anyone please give me peace of mind - I am 59 yrs old and haven't had a proper period for about 3 years but in July I had a slight "show" - just a spotting of blood mixed with vaginal mucus. This does not stain my clothes as it only occurs after wiping myself but sometimes there is a little clot of bright red blood streaked through the normal clear mucus. After this happened a few times I visited my doctor as it was very difficult and painful for me to have sex too (it still is - so I have stopped trying!) He diagnosed atrophic vaginitis, thinning of the vagina due to lack of Oestrogen and put me on Vagifem hormonal pessaries to be inserted 3 times a week. The spotting continued just once a day 2 or 3 times a week so I went back to the doctor to see if it was a side effect of the Oestrogen. He said No and performed an endometrial biopsy which proved the uterine lining was 4mm (apparently ok) and I also have a benign polyp. He said the spotting will settle down soon but I have been on the Vagifem 2 months now and it is still the same. I am so worried that something is not right - should I insist more tests are done (I also have had a scan) or should I try and accept it as normal? I would be interested to hear if anyone else has this same problem. Many thanks

Last edited by nearlyoap; 11-19-2006 at 03:39 PM.

Old 11-19-2006, 06:44 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Spotting After Menopause

If you still have your ovaries you can still have a period. So this is not unusual if you do still have them.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-20-2006, 03:49 AM   #3
(female)

nearlyoap HB User

To Titchou
I am quite interested to read that if you still have your ovaries you can still have a period after the menopause - as when I get the spotting it is just like the mucus you get at ovulation time - I have told my doctor that it seems like I am ovulating again. He said that isn't normal but he doesn't think its anything "sinister" but is unsure what is causing it. Can anyone else help please as I am so worried about it in case its something he's missed? Could the polyp be causing this problem? If so what can be done to stop the problem as its becoming a real nuisance! Thanks

Old 11-20-2006, 04:32 AM   #4
(female)

LLLmom HB User

I haven't had a real period in almost a year, but do occassionally get spotting, maybe every three to four months. My doctor says it's just that it takes awhile for the uterus to completely shed all of the lining. Other than being annoying, she tells me there's nothing to worry about.

Old 11-28-2006, 06:52 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Barbara_Ann HB UserBarbara_Ann HB User

Hi - I've been experiencing spotting the last 6 months since I was put on anti-depressants.

I'm 60, and haven't had a period in over 8 or 9 years.

The spotting and mucus usually is from believe it or not - vaginal dryness or it can also be from vaginitis. In both case a product you can purchase at the drug store call Replens is wonderful. It helps to lubricate your vaginal area and balance your PH levels in that location.

Post menopausal women often experience this condition due to thinner linings as we age and it can be compounded by certain medications like anti-depressants, blood pressure medicines etc.

I wouldn't worry too much.

Try the replens - I think you'll like it.

Last edited by Barbara_Ann; 11-29-2006 at 07:37 AM.

Old 11-30-2006, 09:55 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

SusanGene HB User
Angry Re: Spotting After Menopause

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara_Ann
Hi - I've been experiencing spotting the last 6 months since I was put on anti-depressants.

I'm 60, and haven't had a period in over 8 or 9 years.

The spotting and mucus usually is from believe it or not - vaginal dryness or it can also be from vaginitis. In both case a product you can purchase at the drug store call Replens is wonderful. It helps to lubricate your vaginal area and balance your PH levels in that location.

Post menopausal women often experience this condition due to thinner linings as we age and it can be compounded by certain medications like anti-depressants, blood pressure medicines etc.

I wouldn't worry too much.

Try the replens - I think you'll like it.
I'm glad you guys wouldn't worry too much because if you call ANY GYN and tell them you're spotting after menopause you have a LOT OF TESTS in store for you!! I have a Lot more serious problem than mere spotting; I've had 2 full blown periods in a month's time after no having one in 7 years. 99% of doctors I've told want me to have a : hysteroscopy, biopsy (endometrial or
cervical) pap smear and maybe a hysterectomy. I agree that spotting and dryness can be caused by vaginitis (dryness) and that the Replens is nice; but the CREAM REPLENS IN A TUBE is stronger and stops DREADFUL itching
that keeps you awake at night from dryness. This dryness thing started
SUDDENLY for me. And man, does it cause itching and even skin cracking.
This last month has been a real nightmare for me. When I was a TEENAGER, sleeping with a pad on was nothing . But at 62 a pad rubs and itches and tickles. I hope none of you find this out first hand.

Old 11-30-2006, 01:28 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

piano lady HB User

Ladies, I don't mean to sound like a broken record, as I've posted in several other threads about natural hormone therapy for menopausal symptoms. Don't suffer needlessly . . . try some natural things like Black Cohosh or a natural progesterone cream. I've posted elsewhere about that, too. Forgive me for being so passionate, but my "Prolief" progesterone cream has saved my sanity--and my sex life, too. I'm so impressed with my results and that of my family and friends, that I'm sort of on a mission to tell as many people as possible. Forgive me if I sound like I'm on a soap box. Oh yeah, there are some good menopause books you can read, and I've posted those elsewhere, too. I think the posting rules prohibit me from repeating myself too much, so I don't want to repeat it here.

Take care,
Piano Lady

Last edited by piano lady; 11-30-2006 at 01:30 PM.

Old 11-30-2006, 07:47 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Barbara_Ann HB UserBarbara_Ann HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanGene
I'm glad you guys wouldn't worry too much because if you call ANY GYN and tell them you're spotting after menopause you have a LOT OF TESTS in store for you!! I have a Lot more serious problem than mere spotting; I've had 2 full blown periods in a month's time after no having one in 7 years. 99% of doctors I've told want me to have a : hysteroscopy, biopsy (endometrial or
cervical) pap smear and maybe a hysterectomy. I agree that spotting and dryness can be caused by vaginitis (dryness) and that the Replens is nice; but the CREAM REPLENS IN A TUBE is stronger and stops DREADFUL itching
that keeps you awake at night from dryness. This dryness thing started
SUDDENLY for me. And man, does it cause itching and even skin cracking.
This last month has been a real nightmare for me. When I was a TEENAGER, sleeping with a pad on was nothing . But at 62 a pad rubs and itches and tickles. I hope none of you find this out first hand.

Where do you find the Replense in a tube and how is it applied. I only find the box of eight individual applicators.

Old 12-01-2006, 06:01 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

SusanGene HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara_Ann
Where do you find the Replense in a tube and how is it applied. I only find the box of eight individual applicators.

I had ordered the liquid not knowing the creme existed! Then I got the cream in the mail. I thought, "hmm.. maybe it's more effective since it's thicker " and it comes with a plunger!! It comes like a tube of toothpaste. [removed]

Last edited by mod-anon; 12-01-2006 at 10:04 PM. Reason: Discussing commercial websites is against the rules of this Board.

Closed Thread