It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2006, 01:06 AM   #1
(female)

Arkayngyl HB User
Compounded Progesterone Cream, Have You Used?

Hi,
My doctor has prescribed me a Bio Idential Progesterone Cream that has to be compounded at a compound pharmacy...and also a compounded testosterone cream as well.

My question to is, has anyone here tired this Progesterone Cream for your self and if so, how well did it work for you? Was you prescription a compounded formula? Did you have any side effects at all from the Progesterone Cream? Have you tried to stop the cream and have any withdrawals from not using the cream anymore?

I know these are a lot of questions to ask but I'm kinda scared to use these 2 compounded drugs as they do not come with a "Warning Label" like regular pharmacy drugs do.

Thanks,
Sabrina

Old 11-25-2006, 09:36 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kathryn+2 HB Userkathryn+2 HB User
Re: Compounded Progesterone Cream, Have You Used?

Hi Sabrina, I just started on a presciption compounded hormone cream with testosterone included in it. I found that the dosage recommended to me made me nausous and bloated so instead of doing it twice a day I went to once a day. That helped. I did find it helped my sex drive a little. Not a huge difference though. I sort of feel that that the whole hormone thing is a pretty inexact science though because of the way our hormones flucuate from day to day. I wasn't having hot flashes or night sweats and my periods are still pretty regular (at 54!!!) ,but I tested at zero for estrogen and testosterone when I had my hormones tested so my GYN wanted me to try the cream. I think it's evened out my mood swings and that alone has been worth it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-25-2006, 09:50 AM   #3
(female)

Arkayngyl HB User

Hi Kathryn+2,
Thanks for your reply on my post.

One month ago my doctor gave me a Depo Testotserone shot (monthly shot) and I couldn't wait for that stuff to wear off. It caused depression something terrible. I told my doctor what this was causing depression and he said that DepoTestosterone doesn't cause depression. LOL

Well my next visit with him was last week and I took him what I had come across online about Depo Testosterone and it's possible side effects. Sure as heck one of the side effect was Depression. I showed him this and all he said was "I hate these online things"! I told him I refuse to do another shot of that poison so he prescribed me the bio identical testosterone cream instead.

I'm still debating about the testosterone cream too. I mean will it also too cause depression too!!!???

I keep hearing good things about bio indential hormone therpy and I hear bad about it too. I mean what happens when a person stops taking these bio identicals do they have withdrawals from the stuff? I am sure if I ask my doctor he will give me the wrong answer as he did with the Depo Testosterone shot ordeal.

Either way I am still scared to try these 2 bio identical creams, afraid it will bring back the depression.

Have any input on this?

Thanks,
Sabrina

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathryn+2
Hi Sabrina, I just started on a presciption compounded hormone cream with testosterone included in it. I found that the dosage recommended to me made me nausous and bloated so instead of doing it twice a day I went to once a day. That helped. I did find it helped my sex drive a little. Not a huge difference though. I sort of feel that that the whole hormone thing is a pretty inexact science though because of the way our hormones flucuate from day to day. I wasn't having hot flashes or night sweats and my periods are still pretty regular (at 54!!!) ,but I tested at zero for estrogen and testosterone when I had my hormones tested so my GYN wanted me to try the cream. I think it's evened out my mood swings and that alone has been worth it.

Last edited by Arkayngyl; 11-25-2006 at 09:53 AM.

Old 11-25-2006, 10:09 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hopefully HB User

I've been using compounded progesterone and dhea cream for many months and have had very satisfactory results. I'm using the lowest strength and dosage which I play with on occasion. The progesterone cream helps me to sleep better at nights. I'm not sure about the dhea, but it does seem to help me to feel well.

Of course I understand your concern and hesitation, but my results has been favorable this time around.

Old 11-25-2006, 12:34 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

deinee HB User

I have not used compounded progesterone, only the over counter type that you buy at the health food stores. My periods got much worse once I started on it, very heavy with large clots. I stopped it, but still had problems. I am scared of the synthetic hormones and bio-identical too. My girlfriend is fighting breast cancer, no family history, she had been on the bio-identical hormone for 18 months before the cancer was found. Her GYN said there was no connection, but the oncologist said there was. She can't even drink soy milk anymore. I don't know what the answer is, the peri sumptoms are so miserable, but I don't want to go thru the misery she did with chemo and radiation. Research HRT for yourself and see what will work the best for you.

Old 11-26-2006, 01:26 AM   #6
(female)

Arkayngyl HB User

Hi cruisers&c,
I have done massive research online about HRT and I've come up with exactly what you said here. Cancer!

It's so scary and of course the docts (or mine has said) that bioidentical hormones will not cause cancer. The question here for me is Do I take That Chance or Not? I certainly do not need more problems like cancer on top of my problems now!

Thanks for your reply,
Sabrina

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisersS&C
I have not used compounded progesterone, only the over counter type that you buy at the health food stores. My periods got much worse once I started on it, very heavy with large clots. I stopped it, but still had problems. I am scared of the synthetic hormones and bio-identical too. My girlfriend is fighting breast cancer, no family history, she had been on the bio-identical hormone for 18 months before the cancer was found. Her GYN said there was no connection, but the oncologist said there was. She can't even drink soy milk anymore. I don't know what the answer is, the peri sumptoms are so miserable, but I don't want to go thru the misery she did with chemo and radiation. Research HRT for yourself and see what will work the best for you.

Old 11-26-2006, 08:28 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

SusanGene HB User

Who the heck ever heard of bioidentical progesterone? How silly; I use ProGest by Emerita recommended by dr John Lee and after 4 days on it I sleep better and am Much more relaxed. More cheerful, too.
I have , however , heard of the bioidential estrogens. I use H.r.t. Naturally by Balance once a day and it's fabulous. I am sixty two w/a history of anxiety. The HRT Naturally is Much more expensive than the ProGest and I am having the worst time deciding which one to take!! lol HRT Naturally
has bioidentical estrogens in it WITH progesterone so it's convenient but NOT cheap. Its $20 for just 2oz. Decisions, decisions. And all this Premarin sitting around being ignored......

Old 11-26-2006, 06:36 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

Isis498 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanGene
Who the heck ever heard of bioidentical progesterone? How silly; I use ProGest by Emerita recommended by dr John Lee and after 4 days on it I sleep better and am Much more relaxed. More cheerful, too.
I have , however , heard of the bioidential estrogens. I use H.r.t. Naturally by Balance once a day and it's fabulous. I am sixty two w/a history of anxiety. The HRT Naturally is Much more expensive than the ProGest and I am having the worst time deciding which one to take!! lol HRT Naturally
has bioidentical estrogens in it WITH progesterone so it's convenient but NOT cheap. Its $20 for just 2oz. Decisions, decisions. And all this Premarin sitting around being ignored......
There definitely IS bioidentical Progesterone. One is: Prometrium, Micronized progesterone Oral, and another is Crinone, Micronized progesterone, a Vaginal Gel. They are both synthesized from Mexican Yams.

Old 11-26-2006, 08:55 PM   #9
(female)

Wizard HB User

Quote:
Hi:

I am utterly lost on what you mean in this post.

Dr John Lee was a big proponent of bioidentical or natural progesterone cream. It is also possible to get bioidentical estrogen creams. Bioidentical simply means that rather than being created from animal sources (estrogen pills are normally created from horse urine) that the hormones come from plant sources. They more closely replicate the progesterone and estrogen that our bodies normally produce. So yes, as per Dr Lee, I have heard of bioidentical progesterone.

I currently use natural progesterone cream (although sparingly). I have found that it makes a world of difference to how I feel. For the first time in nearly a year, I feel normal again. I am anxiety free on it, I no longer have tingling in my fingers and toes, sleep normally, don't have the nausea and appetite loss that plagued me and I'm totally back to my normal energy levels. I do use it very sparingly however because the jury is still out on what the long term effects are. Like most women here, I don't want to trade feeling great for a bout of cancer.

Old 11-27-2006, 12:03 AM   #10
(female)

Arkayngyl HB User

AMEN WIZARD! You said it RIGHT!

Sabrina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard
Hi:

I am utterly lost on what you mean in this post.

Dr John Lee was a big proponent of bioidentical or natural progesterone cream. It is also possible to get bioidentical estrogen creams. Bioidentical simply means that rather than being created from animal sources (estrogen pills are normally created from horse urine) that the hormones come from plant sources. They more closely replicate the progesterone and estrogen that our bodies normally produce. So yes, as per Dr Lee, I have heard of bioidentical progesterone.

I currently use natural progesterone cream (although sparingly). I have found that it makes a world of difference to how I feel. For the first time in nearly a year, I feel normal again. I am anxiety free on it, I no longer have tingling in my fingers and toes, sleep normally, don't have the nausea and appetite loss that plagued me and I'm totally back to my normal energy levels. I do use it very sparingly however because the jury is still out on what the long term effects are. Like most women here, I don't want to trade feeling great for a bout of cancer.

Old 11-27-2006, 06:58 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

Isis498 HB User

Progesterone alone should work for you unless you are deficient in Estrogen, which of course many menopausal women are. If your levels are are in the dirt, it won't do a lot for you. Many need a balance of both. Some do well on a bit of Estrogen alone. Some women use Estrogen, Testosterone, and Progesterone to feel their best.

Old 11-27-2006, 09:22 AM   #12
Veteran
(female)

katidid95 HB User

I don't know anything about DepoTestosterone, but I do know that prescribed bioidentical hormones are in much less doses than other synthetic hormone prescriptions. There is an increase risk in breast cancer and stroke any time you take estrogen (bio as well as bcp and other synthetic pill forms of estrogen), but the theory is (since there isn't a ton of research) is that you can receive benefits from using bioidentical hormones with much less of a dose. That is why testing your levels before and after you start using the bio's to try to get you to a level that feels good for you (we're all different).

I've been on bioidentical estrogen, progesterone and testosterone for over a year, and feel miles better than I did when I started. My mother is a survivor of breast cancer after years of taking synthetic estrogen, so I'm very concerned about the risks. BUT, I did research and took stock of my own health overall and after consulting with a doctor I felt comfortable with, decided to go ahead. This is a very personal decision where you have to weigh many things, not just one thing.

Old 11-27-2006, 09:32 AM   #13
(female)

Arkayngyl HB User

Hi katidid95,
I'm 49, and weigh 140 lbs. Does the cream go by your weight as far as the amount you would apply to your body?

My estrogen leves are in normal range so my doctor is only prescribing the bio identiecal testosterone and progesterone cream for me. I will not be picking up these 2 creams til wednesday. I havne't even tired them yet.

Since being on these bio identicals you speak of have any caused depression? or have you had any side effcts from the creams?

Thanks,
Sabrina

Quote:
Originally Posted by katidid95
I don't know anything about DepoTestosterone, but I do know that prescribed bioidentical hormones are in much less doses than other synthetic hormone prescriptions. There is an increase risk in breast cancer and stroke any time you take estrogen (bio as well as bcp and other synthetic pill forms of estrogen), but the theory is (since there isn't a ton of research) is that you can receive benefits from using bioidentical hormones with much less of a dose. That is why testing your levels before and after you start using the bio's to try to get you to a level that feels good for you (we're all different).

I've been on bioidentical estrogen, progesterone and testosterone for over a year, and feel miles better than I did when I started. My mother is a survivor of breast cancer after years of taking synthetic estrogen, so I'm very concerned about the risks. BUT, I did research and took stock of my own health overall and after consulting with a doctor I felt comfortable with, decided to go ahead. This is a very personal decision where you have to weigh many things, not just one thing.

Old 11-27-2006, 09:46 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

SusanGene HB User
Angry Re: Compounded Progesterone Cream, Have You Used?

I've been on bioidentical progesterone/phytoestrogens for 2 wks and I started spotting after the first dose. Then I had a period for 7 days.
Since I'm sixty two I know I'm supposed to go in for many tests, some more painful than others and possible surgeries. I know all the names:
LEEP, hysteroscopy, biopsy, hysterectomy, pap, d&c. They had a video of a lady having one of these on tv and there were big clouds of SMOKE coming out of her, drifting up into the air. It did not appeal to me. And probably not to the doctor either Looked worse than a nightclub at 1 a.m.
But I'm going to stay here and type instead. So far, I don't feel one bit better than I did on Premarin. My mother took unopposed Premarin for many decades and passed away from a massive stroke at 83 in '95.
This entire experience of menopause has been most unpleasant; wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. I should have just sweated to death for the last ten years. It's probably good for you.

Old 11-27-2006, 10:01 AM   #15
(female)

Arkayngyl HB User

Hi susanGene,
Wow 62 and your still having periods?!? I feel for ya and sorry your going thru this still!!

My gosh you have enough, and these periods should have stopped years ago, right?

I sure hope I do not end up with periods at age 62
I'll be one huge basket case I'm sure!!

Quote:
I've been on bioidentical progesterone/phytoestrogens for 2 wks and I started spotting after the first dose. Then I had a period for 7 days.
Since I'm sixty two I know I'm supposed to go in for many tests, some more painful than others and possible surgeries. I know all the names:
LEEP, hysteroscopy, biopsy, hysterectomy, pap, d&c. They had a video of a lady having one of these on tv and there were big clouds of SMOKE coming out of her, drifting up into the air. It did not appeal to me. And probably not to the doctor either Looked worse than a nightclub at 1 a.m.
But I'm going to stay here and type instead. So far, I don't feel one bit better than I did on Premarin. My mother took unopposed Premarin for many decades and passed away from a massive stroke at 83 in '95.
This entire experience of menopause has been most unpleasant; wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. I should have just sweated to death for the last ten years. It's probably good for you.

Closed Thread