It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2006, 03:42 AM   #1
(female)

Chelle2 HB User
Question MS & Peri-Menopause

My friend who is 44 has very controlled Multiple Sclerosis (she's very active and has 3 jobs) and she is seeing signs of peri-menopause now. How does peri-menopause affect MS? She is concerned that she may see her MS worsen during this time. Thank you for any information.

Old 12-13-2006, 01:03 PM   #2
(female)

shadeaux HB User
Thumbs up Re: MS & Peri-Menopause

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelle2
My friend who is 44 has very controlled Multiple Sclerosis (she's very active and has 3 jobs) and she is seeing signs of peri-menopause now. How does peri-menopause affect MS? She is concerned that she may see her MS worsen during this time. Thank you for any information.

What do you mean by "very controlled Multiple Sclerosis?" Is she on one of the ABCRs? I am 47 and have MS. My perimenopause started the summer I turned 37. I have had no relapses since Autumn 1999. I am on Avonex and have not seen that it has had any effect on perimenopause for me. Any chronic illness like MS can increase perimenopause symptoms. I eat a balanced diet and exercise througout the day. I use an elliptical cross trainer in the morning before & after breakfast for 1.25 miles. I also ride a recumbent exercise bike during the day and do pilates in the afternoon.

I haven't had any real problems with perimenopause. Each person is different with MS or perimeno. The major challenges for me are heat & stress. My last period was 9/17/06 (87 days YEAH!) and I haven't had one since then. In October & November I had what I call "unpleasntly warm flushes." They only lasted about 90 seconds to 2 minutes. I can tll you though, they really had my attention for that time! The day after Thanksgiving I noticed that they eased up (I had them in the morning around breakfast and at night usually before I went to bed). I think they've stopped now and at the most it might be a slightly warm blush

I hope that helps some. If you have any other questions, just ask. I will be happy to tell you what I can and how it has been for me. I can tell you that the biggest fear for me with MS has been the fear of the unknown. I can't say that perinmenopause has made my MS worse. I must say that in the time I have been reading this board I have been looking for a posting like yours. I was determined that I would reply to offer how it is & has been for me

I wish your friend well. I believe she will do fine!

*hugs*
LadyShadeaux

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-13-2006, 09:44 PM   #3
(female)

Shamrock HB User
Re: MS & Peri-Menopause

I don't have MS but I do have lupus which is another chronic illness. My lupus is in a remission right now and I haven't had any major relapses since 2000. i am on Prednisone and Imuran which is an immunosuppressant. I'm 47 and have been perimenopausal for the past 2 years. I haven;t had any of the major hot flashes people talk about. I have had occasional warm flushes but nothing too alarming. I do get palpitations at times but I do have a heart murmur and I am on Tenormin which controls them most of the time. I exercise every day for 2 hours(I swim and walk on a treadmill). the only major thing I have seen change is my periods. Sometimes I'll skip a month or 2 or have a very light flow.Other times I will have a heavy period with clots,etc. that may last almost 2 weeks. I really can't stand that because it's like nothing will "contain" it if you know what I mean. I can't take hormones to regulate them because of the lupus and my GYN wants to wait and see how I do before resorting to a hysterectomy. I try and take good care of myself by eating healthy and exercising. As with the OP,I avoid heat and stress both of which can do me in. I'm sure your friend will do OK,especially since it sounds like she has good medical care.

Closed Thread