It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2007, 07:59 PM   #1
(female)

painterwoman HB User
Brain Fog and working (newbie)

I could use some input on how to manage my job and this amazing brain fog. I am 50, still having periods but irregular, hot flashes, energy loss. All the usual stuff (which most I can handle) but the cognative problems have me panicked. I have a younger brother with end stage alzheimers, a mother who passed last year of a brain tumor and a father who also had a non-malignant tumor. I have worked for 34 years and always been capable until now. I also have a boss and co-workers who are all mid 30's and have no idea and little compassion. The more I struggle with my memory loss and inability to mutli-task the worse it gets. It has been so bad that I have just come down with a case of shingles!!! The more work that is taken away from me so I can cope the more freaked out I get.

I guess what I would love from you ladies is some helpful hints and experience so I know "this too will pass"

Old 01-07-2007, 08:15 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Red Maple HB UserRed Maple HB User
Re: Brain Fog and working (newbie)

Don't be too quick to put your symtopms off to menopause only. Have a thorough physical by your doctor, including a blood test for HYPOTHYROIDISM, to be sure your symptoms are not caused by something else. Brain fog, forgetfulness, and energy loss are some main symptoms of thyroid disorders. I am menopausal and hypothyroid and must take thyroid replacement hormones daily.

Talk to your doctor about perhaps a mild anti-depressant that may help you to focus more clearly and deal with the ups and downs of menopause. I am on the AD 'Celexa', prescribed by my ob/gyn to help with meno symptoms and have been very pleased with it. It has really helped me to stay calm and thus better able to stay focused. I am also on a very mild hormone patch called Climara Pro. It too has helped many of my meno symptoms.

Yes, all this probably will pass naturally with time. But do you want to be miserable for several years, experiencing the same symptoms you have now, and maybe worsening ones? You need some medical support through this time. It really makes life so much easier. I don't know about you, but there is too much I want to do, places to go, people to see, work to be done, etc. to let meno slow me down. Give me the pills and patches, I want to enjoy every minute of my life and have the energy to do so. It's too short not to!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-08-2007, 06:56 PM   #3
(female)

painterwoman HB User

Thanks for your support and suggestions. I am going for a full blood workup next week so if there is a thyroid problem I should find out. I am currently on an anti-depressant but I had a very firm conversation with my doctor today and he is going to try me on Premarin 0.3. I am still having periods but I am hoping that this really low dose estrogen should settle my emotions down. Non stop tears at work is stressfull for everybody. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again

Old 02-17-2007, 10:34 AM   #4
(female)

Barbs45 HB User

Oh how I can sympathise with you,

I too am finding it difficult, have been going through the menopause now for 4yrs now.

Recently, I had health checks carried out, to see if there could be any other causes, as to why I was feeling so bad!

Fortunately all was ok!

I'm on Evorel patches, only started using them last week.

I wasn't coping phyisically or mentally doing my job, so my doctor suggested I take some time out from work, until I feel I can cope again.

Trying to be positive about the whole thing, but it's not easy for any of us here.

Best of luck,
Barbs.

Old 02-20-2007, 04:10 PM   #5
(female)

izbenski HB User

I cannot stress enough that I really would investigate bioidentical hormone therapy before I would go on any of the stuff that your doctor would give you, unless your doctor is involved with alternative medicine. There is so much data out there that suggest how harmful synthetic hormones can be. [removed] The best advice I can give is don't do it. Research bioidentical hormones and then make an informed decision. There is too much at risk.

Debbie

Last edited by mod-anon; 02-21-2007 at 11:03 PM. Reason: it is against the rules to proclaim any type of work in the medical field

Closed Thread