It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2007, 02:11 PM   #1
(female)

LINSCYCLIST HB User
uterine polyps

Hello.

I am due to have surgery to remove two pea sized uterine polyps found during hysteroscopy. Has anyone had this problem and had surgery for them. I was having a tiny bit of mid cycle bleeding and these are apparently the cause. I also believe they can grow back. I am dreading the general anaesthetic probably more though but I heard it was best as they need to keep you really still when doing this.

can anyone give me any reassurance. they seem to be pretty common in the perimenopause years and I am nearly 42.

thanks

Old 02-02-2007, 10:53 AM   #2
(female)

Gavi112 HB User
Re: uterine polyps

Have you been given a reason why you need to have these tiny fibroids removed??? About 8 years ago I had a hysteroscopy for spotting between periods and I had a couple of minute fibroids but was told they weren't a problem and to leave well alone. The spotting was due to wonky hormones and only lasted a few months. I had an ultrasound recently to check ovaries and was told I still have two minute fibroids which I have had for years and again to ignore as they only treat large ones causing problems.

It may be that yours are big enough to be causing you lots of trouble. Hope all goes well and at least with general anaethetic you are blissfully unaware!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-02-2007, 11:57 AM   #3
(female)

norfolkgal HB User

Last week I had an endometrial biopsy and a tiny polyp was found, it was removed straight away, I hardly felt a thing, unfortunately I could have another problem and have to return to hospital next week for more tests, under anaesthetic,

Old 02-07-2007, 04:06 AM   #4
(female)

LINSCYCLIST HB User

thanks for your replies. I was advised by my gynaecologist to have the polyp removed for two reasons. 1. The vast majority of uterine polyps are benign but very occasionally they can turn cancerous so gynaecologists like to remove them and have them biopsied just in case. Fibroids,however are not cancerous so they can leave those in unless they are causing alot of bleeding and they often shrink after menopause - so I read. 2. my polyp was causing some irregular bleeding - particularly after exercise (which is common) - not all the time but a little from time to time. They are one of the most common causes of irregular bleeding in women my gynae told me on Thursday. He said I could leave them in but its better to be on the safe side.

my mums identical twin sister had two polyps removed at different times in her forties so it may run in families. Hers were on the cervix and just inside it. she has been fine since (now 70) and my friend in germany had two really big ones removed last year which were found on ultrasound - she was having difficulty getting pregnant. soon after having them removed she fell pregnant.

The op is now over. It was fine - a very quick procedure and I was out the same day. No pain but the anaesthetic left me feeling tired and groggy for 4 days and I will have some slight bleeding for a while. I am hoping the polyp was benign.

Norfolk girl - how are you doing? do you know what they found in the endo biopsy yet? I hope everything is ok for you. It may just be the polyp that was causing the bleeding. Please let me know how you are getting on.

best regards
lins

Old 02-08-2007, 03:41 AM   #5
(female)

norfolkgal HB User

Hello lins I go into hospital next monday for a hysteroscopy and a D&C, like you I will only be in for the day, I am not looking forward to it having never been in hospital before, apart from giving birth, but hearing about your experience has helped to reassure me. Good to hear it all went fine, hope your results are good too.
NG

Old 02-10-2007, 05:11 AM   #6
(female)

LINSCYCLIST HB User

Dear NG
I hope everything goes well for you on Monday. I was quite nervous about going into hospital as I hadn't had a general anaesthetic since the age of 5 for skin grafts. It really was fine though. There were lots of other women going in for several things including what you are having done and whilst we didn't chat before the procedure we did after in the waiting area whilst waiting to be picked up by our husbands or partners. Everyone did fine and it was all over so quickly.

the hospital staff look after you so well and put you at ease and the anaesthetic team were great. I suppose they are trained to deal with anxious people -which I was.

let me know how you get and all the best

lins

Old 02-22-2007, 08:13 AM   #7
(female)

norfolkgal HB User

Just to let you know lins all went well last monday, apart from the anaesthetic making me sick. I was told the polyp hadn't been completly removed and the surgeon had a bit of a problem removing the remains, she said everything is ok now.
NG

Old 02-24-2007, 06:37 AM   #8
(female)

LINSCYCLIST HB User

I am so glad everything went well for you. You must be so glad it is over, as I was. The anaesthetic didn't make me sick directly afterwards but for about four or five day I felt faintly nauseous and very tired. I didn't feel like eating for about a week so lost a fair bit of weight which was good. I did have some mild bleeding for about 8 days but this is apparently normal.

sometimes the polyps can be a bit tricky to remove - my friend in germany was under the anaesthetic for quite a while but is fine now. Its amazing how common these things are. I have met so many women who have had them since I had them removed. I suppose its not something you think about until you have them yourself and ask other people

I hope the polyps don't grow back as I might be inclined to have them removed under local next time.

take care
lins

Closed Thread