It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2007, 11:15 AM   #1
(female)

sassygrrl32 HB User
Menopause at 38! Normal?

Hello, I just turned 38 yesterday, actually and have been having some problems for about a year now. Although not necessarily problematic or worrying.
Is it normal to go through menopause in your 30's?
Off and on for about a year my period has been irregular. Sometimes a week or two early, sometimes late. One month I had about a day and half of period then it was over. One month I had about a day of period, it ended then a few days later I started again and had a normal period. I've always had at least three days and never excessively heavy but for the past few years I've had extremely painful periods and usually very heavy. So painful the only thing that will even come close to helping the pain is whiskey straight and alot of it. Some months I've drank as much as a half bottle to get relief. Not even hydrocodone will give pain relief.
Some months my period is so heavy I soak a tampon in 30 minutes to an hour. Don't know if that's normal.
I started having problems with tachycardia when I was 34 and to my recollection the pain has been really bad for maybe a little longer but not much.
Now this month I was a week late then started then had only a little spotting then it just about stops then will start up again a little but not heavy. This is very annoying. I wish it would either come regular or just stop. None of this crap.
If this is menopause how long can this go on? I've had similar problems before then I resume fairly regular periods for a few months before any more problems.
Are there other things that can cause these period problems other than menopause?
I've been to the dr(more than one) and they say the pain is normal and these other symptoms are just dismissed.
I've had my thyroid tested. Get it done at least once a year because of my tachycardia. Dr always does a bunch of blood tests.
Is there a specific blood test for menopause?
Fortunately, I don't have hot flashes, night sweats or anything like that.

Is there anything I could take, like an herbal supplement that would make my period come?

I don't have insurance and don't have the money to run from dr to dr and get tons of costly tests.
Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-23-2007, 05:36 PM   #2
(female)

Diane817 HB User
Re: Menopause at 38! Normal?

I don't think your pain or your bleeding is normal at all. When you are not getting the answers that satifiy you than you need to change doctors. Menapause may not "normally" start at your age but it can, and has. I had a friend who had bleeding and pain like yours and had a D and C. It helped a lot. That may not be what you need but you may not find that out with the people you are seeing now. Sometimes I think they just don't want to fool with their patients. That's sad. Keep looking until you find the answers. Do you have a free clinic around you? Planned Parenthood will do test for a low fee, such as Pap smears. Have you had one of those this year?
I feel for you. I had horrible periods once too.
Take care. Diane

Old 02-24-2007, 04:47 AM   #3
(female)

gtts4u HB User

sassygrll32,
When I was 37, I started having periods every other week, lasting 7 day, extremely heavy, would go thru tampons every hour. I would do this for 2 or 3 months, then return to normal for 2 or 3 months. I went to the dr. and he did a biopsy which was normal and tested my hormones, which were normal.
One year later, my periods suddenly stopped. I did not have any hot flashes or night sweats. My only symptom has been that I started having migraines. My hormones were tested and were all at post menopause levels. My estrogen was undetectable.
When menopause occurs before age 40, it is called Premature Ovarian Failure. And believe it or not you can still get a period.
The tests needed is a Day 3 Estradiol, FSH and LH. To confirm POF, you must test at menopausal levels 2 months. Ask for the test and don't let them tell you that you are to young. Since I was diagnosed I have found alot of women with this.
I wouldn't be to worried about not having a period unless you want to concieve or are having symptoms. But you really should get tested to confirm any problems. Having a premature menopause can cause early bone loss. Make sure to get plenty of calcium. My dr. has me on 1500mg a day plus Boniva once a month.
Hope this helps.

Old 02-24-2007, 08:53 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

twisten HB User

When I first started having problems my symptoms were like yours but within a year or two I never stopped bleeding and had to have a hysterectomy. I had fibroid tumors I think they called them and that is what was causing the bleeding. They weren't cancerous or anything. Not saying that is what is happening with you, just my experience.

Old 02-24-2007, 10:29 AM   #5
(female)

sassygrrl32 HB User

Thanks for the replies. I will write those tests down and ask my dr about them. Generally he will do whatever test I ask for. I haven't complained much to him about the period problems(he's my family dr). I have complained to gynecologists. My last gyne wouldn't even give me medicine for a vaginal bacterial infection(I suffer from these alot at least once every two months and sometimes more and antibiotics don't help, I guess from having to take so many and if it does go away it comes right back again and I have to take alot of antibiotics for sinus infections too). I finally started taking a nutritional yeast which tends to keep the bacteria down. I stopped a couple of weeks ago though because I'd had to take so many antibiotics for sinus infections and bronchitis that I got a yeast infection. Anyway, this gyne wouldn't give me any medicine instead telling me to come back in a month and I knew I had an infection. I'd had it before only this time it caused bad back pain and spotting. I'd been running to the chiropractor thinking my back was just giving me problems(I have back problems). Once I got the infection under control the low back pain went away.
I wondered if the fact that I had so many infections in the last couple of months(I've had 5 total and taken 5 or 6 rounds of antibiotics) might have excacerbated the problem. In the past infections have made the pain worse and sometimes I'd be a little late. BUt it's never affected me this way before but then I've never had 5 infections in a row either. It's not uncommon for me to have two or three in a row and have two infections running together.

Every gyne I've been to refuses to listen and you're right the only answer is to keep going to different dr's until you find one that will listen. Unfortunately though since I don't have the money to run from dr to dr I have to let it go until I can pay for it and I have other medical tests and procedures I'm still paying for and I also have to decide what is more important.

My biggest concern with stopping my period early is heart disease. I've read that post menopausal women after a higher risk of heart disease and since I have a family history(Mom died with it and developed it at a fairly young age, Dad also has heart disease) I know I have to be extra diligent to try to prevent it. My cholesterol has already went high(I managed to get it back down) and I know this most likely is going to be a battle.
So under the circumstances I'd prefer to not stop any sooner than I have to even with it as painful as it is.
This bone loss is of course another concern.

Old 02-24-2007, 11:17 AM   #6
(female)

Sydneysue HB User

Hello, I am 38 years old and can completely understand what you are going through, I went to the doctor about a year ago and they told me I was in perimenopause, I do have the hot flashes and the night sweats and alot of other signs, but I wanted to let you know you are not alone with the heavy heavy periods when I start which is usually late or early it varies, the second and third day they are so heavy that I have to change every 30 mins and I go through 2 boxes of super tampons in those two days it is so bad and I am just completely out of strength, and then after that they slow down sometime I will have it for 4 days and sometimes for 9 days with slow flow but those two are just horrible, I don't know what I would do if I had to work outside the home. I talked to my grandmother about this and she said her and her mother both started at 36 and they had the same problem and the only way they could stop the heavy periods like this was to have surgery. I just wanted to let you know you are not alone on this I do take Vit. A and it seems to help with the flow some but it is still extremely heavy at times.

Old 02-25-2007, 09:55 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Johands333 HB UserJohands333 HB User

Sassy,
You are in perimenopause. Menopause is when your period stops completely. Nothing for at least ONE year. You are now in a new phase of a woman's life. I've been like this for 10 years now. I used to be able to predict the day and time of day I would get my period or even when I ovulated. But then it changed. I can say I'll get my period anytime in a 10 day stretch, but it will come when it comes. They say if you smoke, you will go through menopause sooner. My periods can be 7 days long or 2 1/2 days long. They can be heavy one month and light as ever the next. This is all part of heading towards menopause. Right now I'm thinking I'm in a phantom period--where I have all the symptoms but no flow. Unless it is late and starts soon. I'm only 2 days late. I can't be pregnant. No possible way. I'm almost 50. It's a challenge to deal with feminine problems. Guys don't have half the worry, I'm thinking. I woke up hot last night about 3 times and I went to bed cold. It's the middle of winter!

Old 02-27-2007, 05:52 AM   #8
(female)

Diane817 HB User

:-) never say never. If you've been exposed you could be pregnant. My aunt was 52 when she got pregnant. Talk about a stunner. lol. She got pregnant during menopause. It happens.

Closed Thread