It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2007, 01:31 PM   #1
(female)

icey waters1 HB User
Red face I can't believe the 2005 NIH study!

this report is being passed around the internet & quoted as "fact". the NIH (ntl. institute of health) said, "there's no clear link that menopause creates mood problems so hormone treatment will fail, & the women who report this either have a history of *mental issues* and/or are only upset over aging or others stresses."--no NIH, it's *not* "all in a womans head"-these reports are *real*.

what does it take for them regard evidence of a "clear link"??-daffy duck??! the fact is that the "clear link" has been proven but has been *ignored* in their study because they've *dismissed* millions & millions of patient reports worldwide (throughout history)-do you call this fact "scientific"?--no it's not.

also, for their report to imply that millions & millions of women reporting this are only having a "mass-coincidence" is bologna & is mathematically impossible: it's a 1 in a 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 chance that this repeated reporting is only "coincidence repeating". for them to *dismiss* nearly 40% of the worlds population reporting this is also not medically sound rationale. they are *wrong*.

deleted

fact is, the FDA uses reports like this (& others) to determine if drugs are to stay approved to treat a symptom--if this report gets widely accepted the FDA will easily take back their approval of hormone treatment for mood problems created by menopause--this will mean women will be out-of-luck if they ever want a doctor to prescribe hormones for this! if the FDA stops any woman from getting treatment for this it would be a *disaster* & this must be prevented

[url]http://consensus.nih.gov/2005/2005MenopausalSymptomsSOS025html.htm[/url]

Last edited by Administrator; 03-13-2007 at 12:08 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-12-2007, 02:09 PM   #2
(female)

fiveoffive HB User
Re: dont believe the 2005 NIH study!

a bunch of men Id guess.. not that ALL men are these types of thinkers but the majority.. yes. kinda makes me mad.. but then a lot of things lately make me that way

Old 03-18-2007, 08:43 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

marian100 HB User
Re: I can't believe the 2005 NIH study!

what i find disturbing is that there are women docs out there who believe the same thing. i went to a women gyn for a pap smear and was talking about having anxiety and some depression and she said that there was no way it was hormonal. my male internist on the other hand believes that some women can have a really hard time going through the change. in fact he used the term bonkers. even my therapist, who is a male, said there was some indication in studies that hormones can cause anxiety and depression. if men went through this the study would have a totally different conclusion. God bless

Old 03-21-2007, 11:04 AM   #4
(female)

criscobaby HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by marian100 View Post
what i find disturbing is that there are women docs out there who believe the same thing. i went to a women gyn for a pap smear and was talking about having anxiety and some depression and she said that there was no way it was hormonal. my male internist on the other hand believes that some women can have a really hard time going through the change. in fact he used the term bonkers. even my therapist, who is a male, said there was some indication in studies that hormones can cause anxiety and depression. if men went through this the study would have a totally different conclusion. God bless
Any female ob/gyn who says this isn't old enough yet to experience all the fun of menopause. She will get there.

Last edited by criscobaby; 03-21-2007 at 11:05 AM.

Old 03-21-2007, 11:18 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

liverpool sue HB User

my doctor is a young woman of about 30. she's absolutely great. she listens to me, and i mean REALLY listens, gets stuff up on the computer and prints it out for me, or gives me links to do it myself, and is more than willing to discuss any issues i've ever had with menopause. i've mentioned this message board too, and she thinks it's wonderful that we women are on-line discussing all these issues and helping each other.
so i guess it depends on the individual, rather than their age or sex. as has been said though, those young lady doctors who dismiss it will find out the truth of it eventually!!!!

sue

Old 04-06-2007, 11:18 AM   #6
(female)

karend45 HB User

All I know is I'd give anything to get my personality back from 10 years ago. I'm going nuts & slowly turning into my mother! And if that has nothing to do w/ the change then I guess I need to be committed! kd

Old 04-07-2007, 07:31 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

marian100 HB User

no, she is old enough. that is the problem sometimes with having a female ob/gyn. if they don't experience a problem, then it isn't real. like if they had a baby and the delivery was easy they don't understand if yours isn't. at least a male dr has an excuse. God bless

Old 04-07-2007, 07:44 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

marymk HB User

My GYN, is a woman just about in my age range (47-50). She is very understanding of all the issues I've gone to with her. At this time, she hasn't prescribed anything for my symptoms.
She is always suggesting 'natural' things, like vitamins/herbs/exercise etc... , which I agree with - for the momment. I sometimes wonder what she'll suggest if I tell her this isn't working (right now I'm OK, but things could get worse). I'm 48, and have had my hormone levels tested twice, but I'm not quite there yet.
Sometimes I wonder if she's keeping all the good drugs for herself - she seems so calm and easy going - LOL.

Mary

Old 04-08-2007, 05:37 PM   #9
(male)

james186 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by icey waters1 View Post

this report is being passed around the internet & quoted as "fact". the NIH (ntl. institute of health) said, "there's no clear link that menopause creates mood problems so hormone treatment will fail, & the women who report this either have a history of *mental issues* and/or are only upset over aging or others stresses."--no NIH, it's *not* "all in a womans head"-these reports are *real*.

what does it take for them regard evidence of a "clear link"??-daffy duck??! the fact is that the "clear link" has been proven but has been *ignored* in their study because they've *dismissed* millions & millions of patient reports worldwide (throughout history)-do you call this fact "scientific"?--no it's not.

also, for their report to imply that millions & millions of women reporting this are only having a "mass-coincidence" is bologna & is mathematically impossible: it's a 1 in a 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 chance that this repeated reporting is only "coincidence repeating". for them to *dismiss* nearly 40% of the worlds population reporting this is also not medically sound rationale. they are *wrong*.

deleted

fact is, the FDA uses reports like this (& others) to determine if drugs are to stay approved to treat a symptom--if this report gets widely accepted the FDA will easily take back their approval of hormone treatment for mood problems created by menopause--this will mean women will be out-of-luck if they ever want a doctor to prescribe hormones for this! if the FDA stops any woman from getting treatment for this it would be a *disaster* & this must be prevented

[url]http://consensus.nih.gov/2005/2005MenopausalSymptomsSOS025html.htm[/url]
I believe this was the dumbest study ever! And... that has caused the most damage in decades. What do you think about giving women who have been in menopause for decades heavy doses of synthetic horse hormones and concluding that Hormones cause heart attacks? I would think that giving some poor old grandma the hormone levels of a 20 year old might hurt her. But she might die smiling!

Just the point that the only hormones used were weird synthetics makes me crazy. THEN the synthetic companies have the nerve to try to use this to ban all non synthetics?

Jesus HELP ME!

Old 04-08-2007, 05:41 PM   #10
(male)

james186 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by marian100 View Post
I have Hypogonadism which means "Guy without enough hormones" and my Doctor said I had all the symptoms of serious mental depression. Before she put me on meds she checked my hormones (THANK GOD) and instead put me on HRT. My "depression", anxiety, lack of energy, mood swings, total lack of sex drive all went away. This study and those who conclude that female hormones can only improve hot flashes and vaginal lubrication are insane or idiots! I suggest they try taking a drug that shuts down their hormones for 6 months and see if they notice anything. I'll eat the used socks of anyone who says "No change"

Closed Thread