It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2007, 02:24 AM   #1
(female)

Hilary304 HB User
Question Has anyone used the Merina Coil? What are its side effects like?

Hi, I'm new to this Forum. I've investigating the Merina Coil [removed] as my GP suggested it might be a solution/helpful for me to stop my heavy periods (happening every 2 weeks). I've read about it [removed] and am not happy about the amount of side effects listed particularly weight gain (I've recently lost a lot of weight and dont want to put it back on), depression, mood swings and anxiety (this sounds like a double whammy of menopausal symptoms) - I've recently started a new job and I'm not sure they will appreciate that any irrational behaviour is not really me. Has any got any experience/knowledge of the merina coil? Is it helpful or are the potential side effects impossible to live with.

Last edited by mod-anon; 05-20-2007 at 09:54 AM. Reason: do not discuss how to find websites.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-08-2007, 04:39 AM   #2
(female)

jazzybee HB User
Re: Has anyone used the Merina Coil? What are its side effects like?

Hi

I had a Mirena coil fitted when I was 45 (due to very heavy and frequent periods). It stayed in for five years and I had no problems whatsoever. The fact that your periods more or less disappear is the very best side effect!

Obviously, it isn't suitable for everyone, but I can only recommend it. I think you should, too!

If it doesn't suit you, the removal of it is far more comfortable than the fitting.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-08-2007, 10:39 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

hannasnana HB User
Re: Has anyone used the Merina Coil? What are its side effects like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilary304 View Post
Hi, I'm new to this Forum. I've investigating the Merina Coil [removed] as my GP suggested it might be a solution/helpful for me to stop my heavy periods (happening every 2 weeks). I've read about it [removed] and am not happy about the amount of side effects listed particularly weight gain (I've recently lost a lot of weight and dont want to put it back on), depression, mood swings and anxiety (this sounds like a double whammy of menopausal symptoms) - I've recently started a new job and I'm not sure they will appreciate that any irrational behaviour is not really me. Has any got any experience/knowledge of the merina coil? Is it helpful or are the potential side effects impossible to live with.
Hi Hillary,
I'm surprised your GP hasn't mentioned progesterone for your heavy bleeding. It is also great for those mood swings and irritability. There are several great products at the healthfood store you can get progesterone in, in a creme. Before I had a hysto due to large fibroids, I had 2 periods a month with heavy bleeding. Along with each period, I experienced PMS. The progesterone creme helped with that.

Closed Thread