It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2007, 07:02 AM   #1
(female)

Laura2 HB User
Question Postmenopausal Pelvic Pain

I am 42, and "completed" an early menopause over 2 years ago -- that's when I finally completely stopped having any bleeding. Had all the usual menopausal symptoms for years before that.

For about the last 6 months, I've had bouts of pelvic pain -- which I haven't had since I used to have my period. The pain feels like ovulation pain (that I used to experience), but lasts weeks at a time. During one bout, one breast (only one!) also felt tender -- same as when you're pregnant. Near the end of the last bout, I finally went to the gyn, who noticed the discharge, and seemed sure I had ovulated. But, the pain and discharge lasted almost 3 weeks. The last bout also came on suddenly with a 1-night fever and abdominal swelling. Transvaginal ultrasound showed a small cyst on my left ovary, which apparently has been there for years. Gyn referred me to my GP, and I just had a CT scan of my stomach -- I don't expect it to show anything, though. My stomach doesn't hurt, and I have no other GI symptoms.

My main question is, is pelvic pain so long after menopause ever normal? Could my ovaries suddenly be making a last ditch effort to release an egg or two? Could that be the reason for the prolonged pain?

If so, can any tests help to show that's what's going on? They haven't done any blood tests recently, but 2 years ago my blood tests clearly showed I was postmenopausal.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-02-2007, 03:19 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

deinee HB User
Re: Postmenopausal Pelvic Pain

I would say from your symptoms that you are still having some times when your ovaries are trying to produce some estrogen. Maybe since you are young to be post menoapause for 2 years your body is still trying to adjust. The breast tenderness goes along with an increase in estrogen. I think you have had the most important test which was the pelvic u/s. I suppose you could have a FSH done again but I don't know if it would tell you why you are having discomfort. As long as you are not bleeding I guess I would just wait to hear about the CT scan and then ask if there is anything else to check into. I know I have read where post menopausal ladies will have pelvic discomfort from time to time. Your ovaries may be still fighting to keep working. Did you have your thyroid checked? That might be something else to ask about. Good Luck, Ann

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread