It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2007, 10:27 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

rmc12 HB User
Peri-Health Anxiety/Colonoscopy update

Hi,

I have not posted in quite awhile. But in 2004/2005 I used to be a"regular".To give you a background for those of you who don't "know" me ... I am 53 and have not had my period so far 4 months (a record for me so far). I have run the gamut of all 34 or more symptoms of perimenopause , lol starting probably first starting in my mid 40s. If you told me in 2003/04 when I first wrote on this board that I would still be having symptoms I would not have believed it !! lol But good news is that things are better than they were certainly that since I first was posting regulary, but one of the things that still rears its ugly head for me, is peri anxiety.

I am writing this as I know a lot of people do experience this in Peri and specifically re : health issues. My subject heading mentions the colonoscopy as one of the the many things I have in the past been anxious over during peri has been this exam. Of course anyone 50 or over should have it but I became very stressed over it as I do any sort of exam or health issue and this is all something I have experienced more of during peri than any other time.

For those of you that know my name from the many posts I wanted to update you on the fact that I finally did have the colonoscoppy..just a routine screening (no symptoms) My dr. actually recommended a virtual which in the area I live in is considered by my dr and others as just as reliable as the traditional test. My dr. says in fact it will be the gold standard eventually but is not at the moment since most places cannot take care of polyps if there are any detected during the exam. So then you have to do the prep twice of course. Also one has to find a place where radiologists can read them effectively. I am lucky to live in an area noted for it. My dr. suggests the virtual for anyone over 50 that does not have a history of polyps and he himself has had one, so this is something that made a difference in my decision to have this type. The prep is the same or similar and of course if a polyp is found I would have had to have an optical scope one. But since only 7 to 10 percent of people have polyps I decided to go this route due to my anxiety about the regular one and anxiety over the sedation (which one does not need for the virtual). Long story made short, I did not have any polyps and the virtual sees a lot more than the regular one as it sees the gallbladder, pancreas, small intestine, kidneys and other areas of the pelvis /abdominal region. So I now should feel very relieved that all those areas were all okay (as I certainly have fretted big time over the past few peri years on many of those areas due to symptoms, which I knew rationally were all related to peri but of course peri makes me very irrational!!

I am sharing this with you since I know a lot of people are very anxious re : the exam and perhaps this will give them another option, provided you live in an area where it is done often and with radiologists that are experts in this field.

On another note, my health anxiety has not of course totally disappeared with having the exam I so fretted over...and that is part of peri I know, which makes us all irrational at this time. I say this as the test showed everything was fine but they did mention I had minimum diverticulosis and also a small hiatal hernia, which they say 60 percent of people have but of coure in peri just knowing I have that I am sure will cause anxiousness. lol

I wish that I could shed light on how to battle the anxiety during this time. Most of the time I am successful with winning the battle, sometimes not!!

What I find is most important though is having the support I have recieved on this board and the friends i have made here that still to this day help me and support me thru this crazy time!! So I am indebted to the board for giving me those dear friends, 8 in particular, that still to this day are there for me!!

Thanks for reading and hope that this helps some of you who are suffering from the anxiety to know that it does get better but also does have its moments!! so hang in there!!

rmc

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-07-2007, 04:22 PM   #2
(female)

Barbs45 HB User
Re: Peri-Health Anxiety/Colonoscopy update

((((((((((RMC12))))))))))

Thanks for posting, I'm fairly new to the board, and I agree the support here is very much appreciated. We all gain strength from each other.

I suffer too from anxiety, it's getting better, just take each day as it comes, and deal with it as best as I can.

Best wishes,
Barbs.

Old 07-08-2007, 11:08 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

rmc12 HB User
Re: Peri-Health Anxiety/Colonoscopy update

Thank you Barbs for your response. Yes the support is invaluable and what gets one thru it all.

The anxiety is the hardest for me. It is an up and down roller coaster battle with it. Only thing you can do is to take it a day at a time as you siad. But wish it would go away!!

rmc

Last edited by rmc12; 07-08-2007 at 11:08 AM.

Closed Thread