It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2007, 09:38 AM   #1
(female)

MsG HB User
Do very light periods mean menopause?

I am a thirty-five year old woman with no children yet. My periods have always been quite heavy, but for the last year or so they have become lighter and lighter. I usually bleed moderately/lightly for a day, have two days of almost nothing, then two days of very light bleeding. I still get occasional menstrual cramps. My mother died of ovarian cancer - could this be linked? I also had an ovarian cyst removed about 4 years ago. I'm terrified I might be going through an early menopause and will never be able to have children. Please can someone give me some advice. Has this happened to anyone else?

Old 07-17-2007, 11:18 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

liverpool sue HB User
Re: Do very light periods mean menopause?

hello msg. i'm sorry i can't help you as i've not had anything like you are experiencing, but i would definitely say go to your doctor and discuss it with him/her. if it is early menopause they may be able to do something to safeguard your ability to have children, and also to look after your bones, heart, etc., which can become problematic in early menopause.
and if it's not, then the doctor can put your mind at rest. good luck, and hope it all works out ok for you.

sue

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-17-2007, 01:01 PM   #3
(female)

MsG HB User

thanks for replying Sue. I'll go and have a chat with my doctor and see what she says.

Old 07-17-2007, 03:48 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

korgiee HB User

I noticed my periods changing in my thirties. Heavy for one day and then light and then nothing. I had it like that from my late 30's until late 40's. Now my periods are heavy heavy heavy for 2 days, like a diaper might work, and then light light light for 3 0r 4 days. Not to be graphic but i was sitting in a teaching training yesterday and I got up and felt like I was passing a baby. The clots are unreal. Thank goodness nothing leaked. Today is like nothing. Your periods will change from decade to decade usually. That is most likely what is happening to you. Just keep monitoring it and keep a journal of what they are like. See if you see a pattern. Alyce

Old 07-18-2007, 10:26 AM   #5
(female)

MsG HB User

Thanks for your reply Alyce. If it is just a normal change then maybe I should just enjoy them not being so heavy. I'll still have a chat to my doc just in case. I like your idea of keeping a journal.

Old 07-18-2007, 09:05 PM   #6
(female)

Wizard HB User

I found that my period changed pretty well with every decade of age I put on. They were very different in my 30's compared to my 20's and again different in my 40's. Heaviness of period doesn't really indicate much about menopause. Complete cessation does.

Since you're 35 and do want to have children, it would be wise to book a complete physical with your doctor. Egg quality does decrease with age and your doctor can test to determine how high or low your FSH is. That will give you a good idea of whether you should be looking at trying to conceive soon.

Old 07-22-2007, 03:04 AM   #7
(female)

josette_777 HB User

hi .. mine seem to be getting shorter every month and irregular too. what scared me this month is the pain i felt in my chest and under my ribs... dr told me it could be acid reflux.... but after 3 days taking zantac...i still feel this dull ache on the left side just below my rib cage. anyone can tell me if it has to do with period? i M 47 years old....and getting hypocondriac by the second.... thank you beforehand

Closed Thread