It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2007, 10:47 AM   #1
(female)

Gavi112 HB User
Late period then slight bleeding for 4 weeks and counting!

Past 8 months I have had very erratic periods and as I am 46yrs old Dr said its menopausal. I had a pelvic ultrasound scan 3 months ago that was normal so Dr told me nothing to worry about just your hormones!
4 weeks ago I was 2 weeks late for my period when i got slight bleeding, varied from odd spots to little clots but only needed a panty liner. I have had 3 episodes of normal period bleeding for about 3 hrs then it goes back to the slight bleeding with odd thick vaginal discharge that is like a little blood clot.

I have agonising health anxiety so after 3 weeks of this I went to my Dr and begged to be sent to gynecologist. Dr agreed for my sake but reassured me that the normal ultrasound only 2 months before this bleeding started should reassure me that this is just hormone havoc as she calls it.

I have got a gyne appt on 24th august soonest I could get which is four half weeks away and it will seem like forever. I know he will want a hystersocopy and maybe a D&C.

Dr said I could try a course of progesterone which would stop the bleeding then when you stop the tablets you get a huge bleed but she said it was only a stop gap and didn't recommend it unless I couldn't cope with the bleeding. The bleeding itself isn't bothering me its the mental agony of there being something wrong with me that the problem!!

Is there anyone out there who has had this sort of thing happen to them and its hasn't been anything sinister?????

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-25-2007, 07:34 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

marymk HB User
Re: Late period then slight bleeding for 4 weeks and counting!

Hi Gavi,

I just finished three months of progesterone - I had periods that came very close together - when it came only 2 weeks, I called my GYN and she suggested the progesterone. I also have had ultrasounds, and nothing bad found - just a couple of fibroids and one simple cyst.
Anyway, I took to pills starting on day 12 of my cycle - for 12 days. Then a few days later you get a period - the fisrt one was a bit heavy, the next two were normal to light - but still lasted 5-6 days.

Now I'm going off of it to see if things have changed - I would rather skip periods, then have then every 2-3 weeks - I don't really want to take any more drugs - I think the progesterone has made me gain some weight, and it also gave me sore breasts (more than usual).

I understand the mental agony - I have it all the time. Right now I'm stressing because I just finished my period and wonder if I'll get it in 2 weeks again. Fortunately, I have my yearly GYN appt in 2 weeks, so I won't have to wait long if I have issues.

Mary

Old 07-25-2007, 08:32 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

liverpool sue HB User

hello gavii. i would think that just about everyone here on this board has had very similar symptoms to what you're describing, to a greater or lesser degree.
if you think about it logiclee, and given what your doctor has said, and your age, it most likely is 'just' menopause. i say 'just' menopause but we all know what a whole pile of issues that brings with it, and worrying ourselves silly about our health is just one of those issues.
you and your doctor are doing all the right things, so maybe you just have to take a deep breath and accept that in all probability all these things that are worrying you so dreadfully are menopause symptoms and nothing more.
good luck.

sue

Old 07-25-2007, 01:03 PM   #4
(female)

Gavi112 HB User

thanks for your replies, most appreciated. the mental agony of this is actually much worse than the physical aspect.
Every day the bleeding is following the same cycle - barely there all day until late afternoon then heavier but still would be classed as light period with small clots for about four hours then back to barely there. So every day until the afternoon I get my hopes up that it is easing off and going to stop then every day about 5 pm its back grrrrr!!
I have no patience at all waiting for the gyny appt- I have read other posts on lots of sites and some people bleed heavily for months at a time before going to their Dr's!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't bear to wait the four and half weeks for my appt.
I have to speak to my Dr tomorrow about a swab result and will tell her of my mental agonies and see if I can get in sooner at a different hospital but don't hold out much hope.
Menopause and health anxiety what a combination!!

Old 08-11-2007, 06:20 PM   #5
(female)

negeanak HB User

Wow, I can't believe how similar your story is to mine. I've had extremely crazy periods for the past year but it came to a climax about 4 weeks ago when I just started bleeding out of the blue and still haven't stopped. Like you, I have been having lots of clots and lots of times when I think it's finally stopped only to have it come back in a few hours. I went to see my ob/gyn and had some blood tests done and have an ultrasound scheduled. Since I'm only 25 menopause wasn't even something we discussed. It turns out that my thyroid is having some issues that that "might" be the cause of this. I'm very interested to see if they are really going to recommend that you have a hysterectomy or D&C to correct this. I had a D&C a year ago due to a miscarriage and wouldn't want to have to go though that again, and a hysterectomy seems a bit extreme.
Not knowing what the problem is is also driving me nuts. I keep wondering if this is a uterine problem or a thyroid problem or a combination of problems.
The best way I've found to pass the time for the next few weeks is to try and stay positive. I'm trying to watch funny movies, listen to upbeat music, and enjoy spending time outdoors with my children. Best of luck to you and please update us on how things continue.

~jennifer

Closed Thread