It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2007, 06:10 AM   #1
(female)

janet11343 HB User
Question spotting for 3 weeks

I am approaching 53, had what I consider to be my final period over 2 years ago and for the past 3 weeks I have had spotting when wiping, and on occasion a small amount on my underwear/panty liner. I have an appointment next week, but am scared to death -- have had a "phobia" of doctor appointments/exams my whole life. I am a person who is never sick and always thought I had a pretty good immune system, but now I am really having to fight the panic and depression associated with this new development. I have done so much online searching since this started that I really don't know what to think. The spotting has been off and on -- mostly present -- for the past 3 weeks and has varied with sometimes mucus and sometimes not. As others at this website seem to have had similar symptoms I am checking to see what sort of outcome they have had as in a lot of the websites there won't be any "follow up" as to what was really happening to the person posting -- just that they had this problem. Obviously, the main scare is the big C, but I am hopeful the worst will just be a hysterectomy. Thanks!

Old 07-27-2007, 03:04 PM   #2
(female)

Gavi112 HB User
Re: spotting for 3 weeks

I have posted a few posts down about my 4 weeks of spotting and now flooding!! I am much younger at 46 and am just arriving at the joys of menopause and have a gyny appt in two weeks which can't come soon enough.

It would be sensible of you to see a gyny and get the tests that will rule out anything sinister. Not because it is likely to be the C word but finding out it isn't will make you feel much better.

I have a couple of friends who were older than you one in her 60's and other in late 70's and they both started bleeding many years after the menopause and of course the fear was cancer but both had hysterectomies that found no trace of cancer just unknown cause hormonal?? but as they were better off without their wombs it was a case of whip it out! They are both fine and well a year on.

I understand the tests are not pleasant no one could be more scared than me believe me but I would rather go through the discomfort and indignity of the tests to find out nothing sinister is going on than live in terror of the unknown.

All Dr's say any woman who bleeds in any way after a year past the menopause should have the cause investigated. be brave and go.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-27-2007, 04:10 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

korgiee HB User

Hey janet,
we are neighbors!!! I am in tampa. I am 51 still getting my period every month and spotted for over 2 weeks. Just part of peri menopause and menopause. I could have gone throught a whole battery of tests but she was looking for other symptons and I did not have them. Go and get it checked out but i can assure you it is nothing but hormones. Alyce

Old 07-28-2007, 06:43 AM   #4
(female)

janet11343 HB User

Thanks for your reply and support

Old 07-29-2007, 05:56 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Charlyssa HB UserCharlyssa HB UserCharlyssa HB UserCharlyssa HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by janet11343 View Post
I am approaching 53, had what I consider to be my final period over 2 years ago and for the past 3 weeks I have had spotting when wiping, and on occasion a small amount on my underwear/panty liner. I have an appointment next week, but am scared to death -- have had a "phobia" of doctor appointments/exams my whole life. I am a person who is never sick and always thought I had a pretty good immune system, but now I am really having to fight the panic and depression associated with this new development. I have done so much online searching since this started that I really don't know what to think. The spotting has been off and on -- mostly present -- for the past 3 weeks and has varied with sometimes mucus and sometimes not. As others at this website seem to have had similar symptoms I am checking to see what sort of outcome they have had as in a lot of the websites there won't be any "follow up" as to what was really happening to the person posting -- just that they had this problem. Obviously, the main scare is the big C, but I am hopeful the worst will just be a hysterectomy. Thanks!
Hi!

I sooooo understand your fears for I had them myself when I started bleeding in April. (If you want, my thread is "Bleeding...again..." in which I described my situation) I read that cancer is usually one of the more rare reasons to spot/bleed post, like 10% or something like that, but as Gavi112 said, post bleeding should always be investigated, so you are doing the right thing by seeing your gyne. It could be polyps..or have you ever been told you have uterine fibroids? That's another possibility. The tests I had were really no big deal, but like you, I was scared to death. SOmetimes women just bleed post menopause for no apparent reason, and I think I may be one of them. Please try not to worry, however stupid that probably sounds. *hugs*

Char

Old 08-02-2007, 02:48 PM   #6
(female)

janet11343 HB User

Had transvaginal and abdominal ultrasounds today and now have to see another doctor tomorrow to try to determine if is a polyp on my cervix or something else. It's a possibility that he will do an endometrial biopsy, but not looking forward to that since I've been told it is painful. Wish me luck...

Old 08-02-2007, 02:57 PM   #7
(female)

gtts4u HB User

I had an endometrial biopsy and didn't think that it was painful. You feel a little pressure but that was all. It really wasn't that bad.
Good luck and keep us updated.

Old 08-02-2007, 09:42 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Had transvaginal and abdominal ultrasounds today and now have to see another doctor tomorrow to try to determine if is a polyp on my cervix or something else. It's a possibility that he will do an endometrial biopsy, but not looking forward to that since I've been told it is painful. Wish me luck...
Hi!

When I had my biopsy it was done under anesthesia. When I awoke they asked me to rate my pain on a scale of 1-10, and I said 5. I was given an RX for pain meds which I really didn't need. I'd say it's more uncomfortable than painful, and OTC Tylenol would work just as well. The buildup to the procedures is always the worst, meaning fear and anxiety! Being that I am the nervous/fearful/anxious type, she had given me an RX for 10 Valium before I had it done and it helped a LOT. GOOD LUCK and keep us posted!

Char

Old 08-04-2007, 12:32 PM   #9
(female)

janet11343 HB User

Thanks for the info on the endometrial biopsy. The ultrasounds both came back normal and the gynecologist told me that it is either just a polyp or possibly a small fibroid -- both of which she assured me are benign conditions. I am scheduled for removal of it in September and she -- yes the gyn I was referred to turned out to be a female -- said that while she is in there she may as well just go ahead with the endometrial since I have never had children and am over 50. She did say that it is not painful per se, that taking Aleeve before hand should do the job, but also gave me a Rx for 2 mgs. of Valium if I feel too anxious. What a relief -- to say the least! Too bad my primary care had me SCARED TO DEATH.

Old 08-04-2007, 12:50 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Thanks for the info on the endometrial biopsy. The ultrasounds both came back normal and the gynecologist told me that it is either just a polyp or possibly a small fibroid -- both of which she assured me are benign conditions. I am scheduled for removal of it in September and she -- yes the gyn I was referred to turned out to be a female -- said that while she is in there she may as well just go ahead with the endometrial since I have never had children and am over 50. She did say that it is not painful per se, that taking Aleeve before hand should do the job, but also gave me a Rx for 2 mgs. of Valium if I feel too anxious. What a relief -- to say the least! Too bad my primary care had me SCARED TO DEATH.
Hi!

Glad the gyne made you feel comfortable and encouraged. I see a female gyne, too, and wouldn't have it any other way. Who better to understand a woman's problems?? I have fibroids, too, and it's true, they really are no big deal, unless they cause spotting, but mine never did. Good thing you're having the endo - may as well get completely checked out. Did she mention a hysteroscopy? I had that, too, which is really nothing more than looking around with a light under magnification (I think - I looked it up months ago but now I forgot exactly! LOL) Good for her for giving you the Valium - as I said, it helped a lot and was MOST appreciated. I think everything will be OK so try not to worry meanwhile! We're here if you do, tho. *hugs*

P.S Forgot to mention - if it is a polyp she'll remove it. You'll have some light bleeding and probably cramping, too, none of it much different than having a period.

Char

Last edited by Charlyssa; 08-04-2007 at 01:03 PM.

Old 08-06-2007, 08:45 AM   #11
(female)

janet11343 HB User

No, she did not mention anything about a hysteroscopy -- just the endo biopsy. After my visit on Friday, I have stopped being worried, but then once in awhile I catch myself hoping that I am not getting too excited too soon. From what I've read about the polyp/fibroid thing there is such a slim chance that there is anything wrong there, that that doesn't concern me, but then I don't know what all would have shown up on the ultrasounds as far as anything else is concerned. She did tell me that my uterus report was normal, which also made me feel more confident, but I hope I'm not jumping the gun in my "celebration." Also, from what I've been reading, I pretty much am expecting cramping and some bleeding from the biopsy, but hopefully it won't last that long. I am having the procedure done in the afternoon on a Monday and am hoping to return to work on Tuesday or should I plan to be out on Tuesday for recovery? I know it varies from person to person, but just still don't know what to expect timewise.

Old 08-06-2007, 06:24 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi!

I really admire your attitude and it's the right one to have...not like me - a basketcase! As my husband always says, "Don't be concerned until there is a REASON to be concerned." Yeah. Right. Easy for a man to say! LOL

If she saud the ultrasound was normal, does that mean there was no evidence of fibroids? If so, that;s great. Polyps are common and no big deal - they just snip them and that's it. Yes, cramping and bleeding a bit is normal and for me, only lasted a few days. Are you going to have anesthesia? That was the worst for me, I think. I felt a bit groggy for a couple of days, and just didn't feel right for another few days. Maybe I'm a baby, perhaps you will breeze thru it - no way to know, unfortunately.

I would say that, to be on the safe side, take Tues. off, too. If it turns out you feel up to it, you can always go in. I think it takes longer to recover if you have anesthesia. She first tried to do this in the office without it, but she had a hard time because it's been so many years since my children were born and also because I have been post for 11 years. (The cervix kind of closes up, she said.) Hang in there!

Char

Old 09-11-2007, 04:34 PM   #13
(female)

ShadowsGathered HB User

I hadn't had a period in almost 17 months when wham, bam... one came on like I'd never stopped having them... just like they'd gotten in the end... 10 days, heavy bleeding the 2nd and 3rd days, lower backache that felt like my spine was curving up and going to break... aggravating, to say the least, when you think you're finally done with it!

Old 09-16-2007, 01:00 PM   #14
(female)

janet11343 HB User
Smile Re: spotting for 3 weeks

Had the polyp removed (was a "good size one" per the doctor) and endometrial biopsy on Monday (9/10/07). Only discomfort was during the procedure. Only light spotting since and no cramping -- now just waiting on the results....keep your fingers crossed -- should know in another week!

Old 09-16-2007, 01:50 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Had the polyp removed (was a "good size one" per the doctor) and endometrial biopsy on Monday (9/10/07). Only discomfort was during the procedure. Only light spotting since and no cramping -- now just waiting on the results....keep your fingers crossed -- should know in another week!
wow! sounds like you breezed right thru it! polyps are almost always benign. i think it's only if you let the symptoms of them go for years and don't do anything about it that you have to be concerned. i had 2 and both were benign. thinking good thoughts for you!

char

Closed Thread