It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2007, 04:21 AM   #1
(female)

laf5980 HB User
Am I Peri?

I'm 42 and have had regular periods my whole life. The last few months I've noticed that it comes a few days earlier or a few days later. I get a headache for a day that won't go away (which I've never had) and my cramps on the 2nd day (which was normally my worst day) are a bit worse. When my period is over, or atleast when I think its over I've woken up during the night to find that its starting again. It's a quick surge of blood, I definitely need a tampon for a day but then I'm done. I do feel hotter than usual but no major wet sweats. Could this be peri?

Old 07-29-2007, 05:17 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Charlyssa HB UserCharlyssa HB UserCharlyssa HB UserCharlyssa HB User
Re: Am I Peri?

Quote:
Originally Posted by laf5980 View Post
I'm 42 and have had regular periods my whole life. The last few months I've noticed that it comes a few days earlier or a few days later. I get a headache for a day that won't go away (which I've never had) and my cramps on the 2nd day (which was normally my worst day) are a bit worse. When my period is over, or atleast when I think its over I've woken up during the night to find that its starting again. It's a quick surge of blood, I definitely need a tampon for a day but then I'm done. I do feel hotter than usual but no major wet sweats. Could this be peri?
What you've described is typical of the first signs of peri. Period changes, such as heavier or lighter flow, more or fewer days in length, worsening PMS and cramps to name a few, are all pretty normal signs of it. I started peri in my late 30s and thought my body was going nuts and the docs never thought to check my hormone levels, so I had no idea it was peri that soon. If they become more bothersome just see your gyne. 42 is definitely not too young to begine peri!

Char

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-29-2007, 05:41 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

thaliak HB Userthaliak HB Userthaliak HB Userthaliak HB Userthaliak HB Userthaliak HB User
Re: Am I Peri?

Hello 5980!
They could be perimenopausal symptoms but then again not.
I have had the same ones you describe for a year or two and I am 46.
I was definitely sure that I had entered this new circle when I visited my gyno for a Pap test.
He was very surprised when he gave me an ultrasound. My ovaries were functioning at full capacity and he thought that I could still be ovulating for another 2-3 years. As for my symptoms they could well be hormonal flactuations which he could put right by some pills, which I thought I do not really need , so I didn't take them.

He also suggested that I could have a hormonal test to see whether my hormon levels were up or down but declined, because I want to take things as they come.
So, I would suggest that you do see your gyno and if you truly want to know what is happening ask to have the special tests available.
They say that the earlier you start your period the earlier it would go. And also it depends on the life span of your mother's period. But then, all these are indications not facts.. A proper test should put your mind at ease and PREPARE YOU PSYCHOLOGICALLY FOR THE CHANGE if it is happening.
Good luck.

Closed Thread