It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2007, 04:28 PM   #1
(female)

cyndi627 HB User
Hot Flashes and Blood Pressure - Help please

Do hot flashes elevate blood pressure ? I haven't checked mine but when i get a hot flash i just feel wierd??? How are they supposed to feel and does your blood pressure elevate when you get a hot flash? THanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-18-2007, 05:17 PM   #2
(female)

HURTEN HB User
Re: Hot Flashes and Blood Pressure - Help please

hi cyndi,when i get a hot flash , it feels like i just walked into an oven it starts in my face and goes into my upper body my chest and breasts sweat sobad that istrip and back down below my waist and when its over which feels like an eternety i getthe chills. amd then it starts again.
and nomatter how youthink you can prevent it with a fan ice cubes downyour bra and panties , nothing helps ice melts and your wet any way, you just have to ride it outeach time.
it sucks
as for blood pressure im sure it elevates each time.
go to go its time again.
bb

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-18-2007, 07:30 PM   #3
(female)

percan HB User

Before I had any, I imagined I would just feel hot - like someone turned up the heat in the room or something. But it wasn't like that in reality. I could always tell when I was going to get one because I would first feel just "off." Wasn't sure if it was nausea, or faintness, or what, just felt "off color." Not sure how to describe it, I just did not feel right. Then I would get all hot and sweaty and slowly it would dissipate and sometimes I'd feel chilled after, especially in the winter. I don't know specifically about blood pressure as I never had mine checked while I was actually having a hot flash, but I can certainly tell you that it is just more than feeling hot. Definitely a strange feeling goes along with it. At least for me (and others here have said similar, though once again, everyone is different.)

Old 08-19-2007, 01:33 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

liverpool sue HB User

mine start with a sort of anxiety *****le right in the middle of my chest, like when someone has said 'boo' to you and then the heat spreads from there, mainly upwards and down my arms.
sometimes i get some which are mainly my face and neck.
when mine first started about 4-5 years ago, they were quick, small-ish flashes which would come about 10 times an hour. eventually they settled down to longer ones, but much less frequently.
i asked my doctor about blood pressure during them and she said it doesn't rise. my blood pressure has risen during menopause anyway though, needing increased medication every 6 months or so to catch up with it. seems to have settled at the moment. i'm not convinced that blood pressure doesn't rise during a hot flash though, like you ladies how many have had it taken during one to see?

sue

Old 08-20-2007, 08:13 AM   #5
(female)

yock HB User

My blood pressure rises badly during a hot flash. I have a cuff at home and did a test. Before (and at the dr's office the previous week) my BP was 120/84. During a hot flash, it rose to 157/93 with a pulse of 93. Quite a bit of difference. I don't take blood pressure medicine. I know it'll go back down after the hot flash is over.

Old 08-20-2007, 10:37 AM   #6
(female)

katolb90 HB User

I've had blood pressure problems as well since starting perimenopause a few years ago. However, it seems to be a transient problem. I take my own BP everyday. Occasionally it went into the upper limits (or lower) of stage 1 hypertension and stay that way a couple of days. About 30 percent of the time it would be in the lower limits of stage 1. The cal-mag supplements seem to keep it in check and now I usually don't measure in the stage 1. Also, now I kinda know what foods bother my blood pressure and I can stay away from them. I keep track of everything I eat everyday and I've learned quite a bit about what my body will and will not tolerate. [removed]

The remaining unsolved problem with blood pressure is that somtimes vitamins, herbs or medicines make my blood pressure go up so I wind up not taking them. I never take a lot of anything. Everytime I tell a doctor or the person in the vitamin store all they say is 'that shouldn't happen'. Or they'll try to tell me that its not happening which really ticks me off.

Last edited by mod-anon; 08-20-2007 at 12:23 PM. Reason: do not discuss how to find websites.

Old 08-21-2007, 08:04 AM   #7
(female)

Barbs45 HB User

I myself have suffered high blood pressure due to the menopause.

I do tend to agree that my BP rises when I'm experiencing a hot flush.
As I become very tired and quite light headed.

I've been taking prescribed medication to control my BP, just hope when I come to the end of the menopause that my BP will return to normal.

Best wishes,
Barbs.

Closed Thread