It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2007, 03:01 PM   #1
(female)

mcdowell HB User
menopause and nerve pain

Has anyone who is post menopausal had burning nerve pain thruout your body? I have developed muscle weakness and if I just over use a muscle slightly not only will it hurt but will cause burning nerve pain at the injury and all over my body and strange as this seems it will cause me to get horrendous gas all over that moves constantly thru me like a lava light, all over my back and sides everywhere and pop and really hurt, it feels like I was in a very bad accident, I can hardly move. This comes and goes constantly, but mostly stays. I am 56 and have always been very outdoors active, landscaping, lifting, gardening, but in 2005 I had a tire fall on my leg and caused nerve damage which has also screwed up my whole system. As of yet I have a hard time just walking as the nerve keeps my leg muscle in constant spasm. I'm now sure the menopause is contributing to this. Any comment on the gas and nerve pain appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-19-2007, 05:45 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

twanger HB User
Re: menopause and nerve pain

I may have. I never thought it was nerve pain but now that you mention it, it just may be.

I have had the knee/leg pain and the doctor took x-rays and could not find anything. I had to take Aleve everyday for two weeks and it eventually went away.

Now I have nerve/muscle pain in my left buttock. It was better for a month but now I have seemed to have strained it again.

I have the gas pain quite a bit and it has increased with meno.

I think that they are related but I am not sure.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-19-2007, 07:59 PM   #3
(female)

suncat HB Usersuncat HB User

McDowell,
I also have nerve pain throughout my body as you. I am menopausal as well (age 51). I had a total hysterectomy with both ovaries removed in 2003. I do think being thrown in sudden menopause has contributed to the pain. I should have kept my ovaries since they were healthy. I noticed after my surgery that my pain threshold was decreased, I was more sensitive to pain and my theory is that the ovaries helped boost the body's natural endorphins and with them gone thus the change. In 2006 I was diagnosed with interstitial cystitis (painful bladder). The pain was mainly in the bladder but now is throughout my legs, arms, pelvic area etc. I have muscle spasms in my legs, sometimes in my arms. The urologist said the pain is now outside of the bladder and my central nervous system is now in "neural windup" or a "hyperactive state" and recommended a pain clinic to get it under control. I am on Lyrica for the nerve pain but it only helps alittle. I have an appointment with a neurologist in a week - want to rule out Lymes, Lupus, MS, Arthritis or an autoimmune thing going on.

With your leg injury it's possible you may have neuropathy and it has affected other areas of your body. The worst time for me is in the morning. I ache so bad it takes me a few minutes to get out of bed. Once I get moving it's not as bad but always in mild pain. My eyes are red in the morning too and I think it's from the pain. Good luck and know you're not alone.

Old 08-21-2007, 02:31 PM   #4
(female)

mcdowell HB User

Would you be able to reply to me after you see a neurologist? You sound alot like me. Everyday is different for me but I usually feel lousy. I have always been active and strong, busy always on the go but I've been knocked to my knees with all this. There is so much wrong with me but tests show nothing??? I'm sure alot is menopause but the nerve pain thing?--I don't know if its part of menopause or not. Since I have this leg nerve injury everything is worse. It doesn't want to heal to the point that it stops affecting my leg muscle and it seems all other muscles and joints are now affected too. I've been to pain management at Cleveland Clinic & had nerve blocks that didn't help. Had all the Lupus tests & others & they find nothing, yet I injure very easily. The more I try and do things I used too, I can't, my leg for one, but I get worse. My muscles always get strained then that is just one more problem to deal with. It feels like I have a muscle disease but they find nothing. If its neuropathy from my leg injury then I guess I'm sunk. I tried Lyrica too but couldn't take it. As much as they say hormone treatment is dangerous, if I could take them to help this I would. I haven't had a hysterectomy but still lack hormones. HRT makes my heart palps worse or I'd take them. Do you ever suffer with gas and bloating that comes and goes? I get it too a point where I'm so miserable I can't eat. I never had bloating before in my life. My mom never had menopause problems, not even a hot flash, have you ever heard of that? Does it skip a generation? Thanks for lending an ear. Would you please let me know what your dr. says? Don't know if you are married, I have been for 39 years, my husband has been so good with me thru all this!!!

Old 08-21-2007, 07:29 PM   #5
(female)

suncat HB Usersuncat HB User

Hi, yes I'll let you know what the neurologist says. My appointment is next Tuesday. I forgot to mention that I want the neurologist to rule out fibromyalgia, which since there is not a test for it, it's basicallly a disease of exclusion when nothing else can be found. Yup, I get horrible bloating and gas pains that come and go. I do wear a hormone (estrogen) patch andthat can account for some of the bloating. Yes, you can go through menopause without any symptoms. My Mom went through it with NO symptoms. I am like you, I was always in shape and active playing tennis, bike riding, horsebackriding, etc. and now I only exercise on good days which are becomming farer and fewer between. I am married as well. I [removed] work full time and it takes every ounce of my body to go in to work everyday [removed]. The thing is, I don't look sick but inside I'm in agony. Is that how you feel about it? That's why it's so nice to share this with someone else who can relate.

My poor husband really took it hard when this all came about but now he's handling it better. I hate to say it but I don't talk about it much to him anymore because he only gets worried and upset. I think he can tell just by looking at me when I'm having a "flare". Have your docs ruled out "RSD" or - Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy?

Last edited by mod-anon; 08-22-2007 at 02:36 AM. Reason: peer sharing only

Old 09-12-2007, 04:18 PM   #6
(female)

mcdowell HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by suncat View Post
Hi, yes I'll let you know what the neurologist says. My appointment is next Tuesday. I forgot to mention that I want the neurologist to rule out fibromyalgia, which since there is not a test for it, it's basicallly a disease of exclusion when nothing else can be found. Yup, I get horrible bloating and gas pains that come and go. I do wear a hormone (estrogen) patch andthat can account for some of the bloating. Yes, you can go through menopause without any symptoms. My Mom went through it with NO symptoms. I am like you, I was always in shape and active playing tennis, bike riding, horsebackriding, etc. and now I only exercise on good days which are becomming farer and fewer between. I am married as well. I [removed] work full time and it takes every ounce of my body to go in to work everyday [removed]. The thing is, I don't look sick but inside I'm in agony. Is that how you feel about it? That's why it's so nice to share this with someone else who can relate.

My poor husband really took it hard when this all came about but now he's handling it better. I hate to say it but I don't talk about it much to him anymore because he only gets worried and upset. I think he can tell just by looking at me when I'm having a "flare". Have your docs ruled out "RSD" or - Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy?

Old 10-14-2007, 02:46 PM   #7
(female)

rachelle01 HB User

I also had a total hyster 1 year ago. About 4 months ago, I couldnt get out of bed my whole body just hurt and I felt like I had a bad flu bug, then the nerve pain throughout my entire body started and the anxiety, dizziness, heart palps etc. My estrogen levels are too low at 25..they should be around 90 or higher. I was reading that estrogen effects the nerve endings and Im trying some different estrogens to see if i can absorb or tolerate them.
You might want to get your hormones checked, or try other hormones..(different estrogens)

Old 10-14-2007, 02:47 PM   #8
(female)

rachelle01 HB User

I also read the side effects on some of the estrogen products and Im wondering if they are actually causing the nerve issues..they say can cause
numbness and tingling? Have you tried stopping your estrogen to see if that helps? if it doesnt, you just might need more estrogen, or a different one.

Closed Thread