It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2007, 04:56 PM   #1
(female)

lunalu HB User
Brain fog and stimulants

Hey, I know this might sound crazy, but tried taking 5mg of adderall (1/2 tab) and it has really helped with my brain fog that I really think is caused by menopause. I feel less depressed as well. Has anyone else tried this?

Old 08-22-2007, 10:13 PM   #2
(female)

Kharma HB User
Re: Brain fog and stimulants

No. it's not a good idea to experiment with amphetamines

If you have brain fog, have you had your thyroid tested recently? Being hypothyroid is a very common reason for brain fog and the medications are much safer.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-23-2007, 05:27 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

liverpool sue HB User

i've been reading up on this and see it has a high chance of becoming addictive, and is very open to misuse - not saying either of these apply to you.
i too would be very, very careful with it, and personally wouldn't go anywhere near it.

sue

Old 08-23-2007, 05:23 PM   #4
(female)

Claire56 HB User
Unhappy Re: Brain fog and stimulants

This is a topic dear to my heart. I have been menopausal for two years and on HRT for the last 18 months. One of the biggest frustrations for me is foggy brain syndrome. I used to be mentally sharp and alert and capable of juggling a number of high priority tasks. Now, my memory is unreliable, I am incapable of sequential thoughts, ie, if I organise a catered lunch I may forget to collect it or organise myself a reminder. This is affecting my ability to do my job. I would have expected some relief after 18 months on HRT, but so far this hasn't happened. The idea of Aderall is sounding pretty to me about now. Any other suggestions?

Old 09-11-2007, 03:20 PM   #5
(female)

ShadowsGathered HB User

I don't want to get on replacement hormones yet; too many horror stories about them. I did tell my doctor that the sweating was the worst part of my symptoms (unbelievably embarassing to be sitting at work in front of 25 other people and just suddenly start to pour with sweat!), so he put me on Bellergal, also called Bellamine. It's for sweating, hot flashes, sleeping difficulty, and restlessness. I will say right out that it has a barbiturate in it, (Phenobarbital) along with ergotamine & belladonna alkaloids. For me it's been a miracle drug. My sweating almost completely disappeared within a couple of days, but it also seems to have helped with my "brain fog". I seem slightly more capable of concentrating, and remembering things (or at least remembering to make notes to myself about things I need to remember!).

Old 09-12-2007, 08:14 AM   #6
(female)

Mistyeyze HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunalu View Post
Hey, I know this might sound crazy, but tried taking 5mg of adderall (1/2 tab) and it has really helped with my brain fog that I really think is caused by menopause. I feel less depressed as well. Has anyone else tried this?
I have not tried it but I have wondered about it. I've also wondered if it could help with the extreme lack of energy.

I am at my wits end with this energy slump. I drag all day and I'm sick of it. I've tried altering my diet and vitamins but it is not helping. So... I'm wondering about a Rx stimulant for this. Why did your doctor prescribe the adderall?

Old 09-12-2007, 08:59 AM   #7
(female)

ShadowsGathered HB User

HI,
I'm assuming you meant why did my doctor prescribe the Bellergal for me. It was for the sweating, not just night sweats, but mainly for the effusive sweating I was experiencing during the day.

Closed Thread