It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2007, 05:53 AM   #1
(female)

Dazey99 HB User
Period this week after nearly 7 months in perimenopause

Hi.
I wonder if you can help.I am 49 and thought I was in true menopause for months now since my last period had been the end of January (My Mom finished hers the same age as me.)
Last month I had my regular gynecologist visit which went well. The Dr.reassured me all was fine and we discussed my symptoms which were very mild--just some slight vaginal dryness and very mild and occasional night sweats.
(She said to me you must have a good supply of estrogen-and even asked me "no bleeding at all?" I said no)
The only thing I told her I was doing was drinking chocolate soy milk and some salted soy nuts to help.(I happen to think the choc.soy milk is delicious!)
anyway I went home and guess I felt better and reassured from the visit and it's possible I drank a little more of the soy than usual this past month.
Suddenly I noticed my mild night sweats had all disappeared and I was thinking hey this is not too bad after all this stuff must be working on me!
Well the past few days I see what it is-my period is back!
(Sooo surprised me) it is a regular period like I'd had prior to January ...
anyway I thought I"d mention it to the nurse at the Drs office to see if maybe they think I should cut down on the soy or what.
The nurse sounded concerned and that the Dr should really be told of this-she'll call you.
It's nearly 7 months and all was fine at my checkup a month ago and now I am even sorry I told the drs office as they make you nervous!
Anyway has anyone had this happen to them before?
I was told you have to go ONE full year before you're considered menopausal correct?
Thankyou (and maybe I should cut down on the soy but wow it did help)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-23-2007, 06:44 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

marla20 HB User
Re: Period this week after nearly 7 months in perimenopause

I am not a dr. but i don't think the soy started up your period. if you read on the boards there are so many woman that have gone 7,8,9,10, months without a period and them much to their surprise a period. This is all part of the change. Was the period a regular period??? Whatever regular means these days. You know what I mean though. No pain, bleeding, and then stopped maybe with some spotting??? For the dr. to say they were concerned does makes us crazy. THis is normal. If the bleeding was bright red, no stopping on and on with pain for weeks at a time you might want to be concerned. THis is part of peri. marla

Old 08-23-2007, 06:54 AM   #3
(female)

Dazey99 HB User

THANKYOU Marla.
It was (and is)a regular period.Atleast the same as I'd been having prior in peri. (no pain or anything)Like I said I was upset at the way the nurse acted oh she really has to be told about this? When just last month all was fine-she examined me-I had a pap test,etc.
So whatever the dr says when she calls me today I'm NOT going for any ultrasound or whatever.
By the way last month she gave me estrace cream (sample)in case I wanted to try it for the little vaginal dryness I told her about (when she examined me she said it did not seem that dry)
I have not tried anything of the sample-just reading the insert of it was enough to scare me off!!

Old 08-23-2007, 08:42 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

twanger HB User

I had one period after not having one for 12 months. It was like a normal period for me and I haven't had one in 4 years now. This happens and is part of peri.

There are many women on these boards that have gone through this. You are not considered menopausal until you have not had 12 months period free. I think that it is probably longer than that. In Eastern medicine, 17 months is considered the cut off point.

Old 08-23-2007, 09:16 AM   #5
(female)

Mistyeyze HB User

The exact same thing just happened to me. The only difference is I hadn't had a recent exam, as I wasn't due yet for my annual.
I didn't get a period for about seven months and then I got one. I called my gyn office and they had me come in for blood work and an unltra sound.

Turns out my blood work shows that I am in menopause (FSH 42).... so with that and the results of my ultrasound, I now have to go in for an endometrial biopsy. They didn't sound overly concerned but want to rule out any kind of hyperplasia of the uterine lining which can cause bleeding.

I think it is a good idea to get checked out. Any post-menopausal bleeding should get checked out, imo. The key is to know if you are in menopause. A blood test is more reliable than the 12 month "rule", imo.

Old 08-23-2007, 09:51 AM   #6
(female)

Dazey99 HB User

Since my sister and my Mom went through menopause at the same age-48,49 I am sure I am close to the end of peri or starting menopause so I don't think in my case I will be going for those tests esp since I just had an exam last month but thanks for your input.
I certainly did not expect peri to be full of such ups and downs!!
Glad there is this message board to come to.

Old 08-23-2007, 12:42 PM   #7
(female)

percan HB User

That nurse should not have said that to you! It is absolutely normal to have a period after 7 months, that's all part of the peri-ride. If it weren't, then the definition of menopause wouldn't be one year of no periods, it would be 6 months of no periods!

Old 08-23-2007, 03:45 PM   #8
(female)

Dazey99 HB User

THANKYOU I feel relieved now (and by the way the period seems to have been easing up now -I'm on day 4 and it's almost done)
You know when the nurse checks your blood pressure,etc before the Dr comes in for the reg exam? Well,she was writing and she said you know you're not in menopause until you go a full year without a period. AND the nurse said you have to still use birth control because there's a "tiny"chance of pregnancy still.

So I thought it was odd this other nurse there scared me with her tone of voice and what she said. I didn't feel the need to talk to the Dr again but this nurse said no she'd have to run the question by her and see if she wants to give me an ultrasound,etc
I feel fine now-thanks for all your answers.

Old 08-23-2007, 09:16 PM   #9
Facilitator
(female)

Seraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB User

I had this over 3-4 years, every 9 or 10 months - usually one week after I threw out all the Tampax etc. Geez.

Old 08-23-2007, 11:50 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

liverpool sue HB User

ha ha seraph, i know just what you mean. i'm 18 months without a period but in the cupboard i still have 4 unopened packets of pads for varying times (heavy, light, night time, wings, etc.). i also have a small bag with 6 pads in which goes everywhere with me 'just in case'.
i've been doing some sorting out over recent weeks, and actually put them all ready to be dumped, but ended up putting them all back again as i still feel if i get rid of them, i'll end up having another period. i guess i'll still have them sitting there in another 20 years 'just in case'!!

sue

Old 08-24-2007, 12:10 PM   #11
(female)

Dazey99 HB User

Well the nurse called me back finally with what the Dr said.She said she'd like me to go for blood work to see where my hormones are at,etc.
I have never gone against a Dr.but in this case I told the nurse I'd like to wait on it..that I would go if the bleeding was after a full year of no periods.
Its must gut feeling that like so many on here have said it's just the normal peri.

Old 08-25-2007, 08:07 AM   #12
(female)

Mistyeyze HB User

Dazey why not get the blood work? An FSH test can tell you where you are. Some levels indicate peri... while others (like mine) indicate menopause. I'd rather be informed.... I guess I don't understand why you wouldn't want to get some blood work.
There are probably no health issues going on with you- or me for that matter, but the real truth is if you are post-menopausal then you are not having a "period" and it should get checked out. The reason being IF anything is going on-- early detection is the key. Uterine lining is not assessed at an anual exam-- unless the anual includes an ultra sound... so my advice is get checked out and then you will have no worries

Old 08-25-2007, 08:14 AM   #13
(female)

Dazey99 HB User

I can't be post menopausal since my night sweats had stopped just this past month.
The slight vaginal dryness has stopped too-so I am still in peri evidently. I will keep the idea of bloodwork in my mind and decide about that..
Thanks for the input

(I guess since I"ve had a mammogram and follow up (routine)breast ultrasound, now a regular gyn exam with pap test I feel that's enough testing for me at the moment.

Old 08-28-2007, 04:36 PM   #14
Inactive
(female)

mermaid989 HB User

I Have Been Spotting. I Thought I Was Finish I Get To The 9th Or 10 Month Then I Spot. I Know What You Mean You Do Worry In The Back Of Your Mind. I Had Some Test Done. Urtra Sound I Guess They Found Nothing. Has Any One Had This Going On For About 4 Years, Thanks For Any Replies Iam A Little Worried

Old 08-28-2007, 04:46 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

twanger HB User

I didn't have it happen every 9-10 months but it did happen every 4-6 months for about 3 years. I think that it is normal to have several years of this.

I would even become regular every 4-6 months for a time and then it would start again.

After 3 years of that, I didn't have a period for 12 months and then had one more. I did spot a little during that time.

Closed Thread