It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2007, 06:53 AM   #1
(female)

LINSCYCLIST HB User
fibrocystic breasts

Are there any women out there who have had trouble with fibrocystic breast - particularly in one more than the other and a feeling of fullness under the arm and on the sides of the breast.

I went to the doctor's recently as my left breast seems to be getting denser than my right. Before my periods my breasts swell and I feel discomfort under both arms but worse under the left and again there seems more fibrous material there. The doctor told me that fibrous changes can extend under the armpit as that is regarded as part of the breast. I don''t get it every month - sometimes I am not aware of any discomfort for three or four months and then it comes back and I have a feeling of fullness on the outer side of the breast and under the arm.. I can't detect any lumps at all. I am 42 and I think I háve been having a few hormonal ups and downs and my mum experienced an early menopause at 39 which could be linked.

Any feedback or advice would be much appreciated

Old 09-07-2007, 08:29 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

marymk HB User
Re: fibrocystic breasts

Hi,
I've experienced the same thing over the last 2-3 years. My left breast also feels more dense and fuller than the right - especially durning 'PMS'. It also extends to the underarm area at times. At one time last year, it seemed to last for months with no relief. My mamograms have all been normal, and my GYN just calls it fibrocystic breats and that it's not uncommon for one to feel slightly different than the other.
I'm 49 and have also had very irregular periods this year and am currently taking provera, because my progesterone level is very low - (causing the bleeding issues).
I do believe this is all hormonal.

Mary

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2007, 03:12 AM   #3
(female)

LINSCYCLIST HB User

Thanks for the reply Mary.
I too find that this discomfort comes and goes. It can go away for months at a time and then like you it feels full and sore for weeks at a timeas well. I have booked in for a clinical breast exam this Thurs to make sure. It has been going on for a year now along with other problems such as a uterine polyp which I know is also caused by fluctuting hormones.

I might ask them to test my hormones too whilst I am there
thanks again
lins

Old 09-09-2007, 10:47 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Have you given up caffeine? It will help with the fibrocystic breasts...couldn't believe how mine quit hurting when I gave it up.

Old 10-26-2007, 05:42 AM   #5
(female)

laf5980 HB User

I'm going through the same thing. I just started ovulating and I noticed my right breast nipple was a bit sore, started out as a bit of a pinching feeling. If I press on its achy. Now the whole breast is sore and I get the heavy feeling under the arm. My body is definitely changing into premenopause at 42. Was told that I have fibrocystic breast a long time ago by the dr. but it's still a bit scary because it's been a while since I've felt this kind of soreness and it never started in the nipple area first.

Old 10-27-2007, 08:23 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Belle2003 HB User

I have similar symptoms. My left breast is more dense and has had many cysts. My right breast has had nothing. My left breast at times will become tender and full. At these time the shower water will hurt the nipple area when I take a bath. This all seemed to start in my 40's. My mother has the same problem, but in both breasts.

I hate having mammograms because they always find cysts and then I get a ultrasound to be sure.

I read that if you go off cafiene, chocolate and sodas for six months you have a 65% chance of your cysts going away. Well I did this for six months and then had my follow up mamo. They still found a bunch of cysts. They weren't big ones, but they were still there. I was so good too at not eating my beloved chocolate. So I gave up and I am back on the chocolate and my decaf tea.

I would have gladly given up coffee, tea, soda and chocolate to not have anymore cysts in the breast. I am so tired of the pain they cause and worrying if it is a cancerous lump I feel or a cyst.

Closed Thread