It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2007, 10:54 AM   #1
(female)

whitsmom HB User
Peri questions-PA says no way

I am 46 and have noticed over the last year, or so, that my periods are becoming less predictable & I have had hot flashes. I have dull headaches a bit more often than usual, but they're not debilitating. I also have stomach issues off and on; bloating, feeling full after eating on occasion, cramps, gas, as well as some pelvic pain between periods-nothing major, just dull achy cramps. All of the stomach issues seem to act up for a week or two then disappear for a month or more. I have had IBS for 25 years, so I suppose that's what is flaring.

I talked to my PA about it and she told me in no uncertain terms that I am too young to have any peri symptoms and that menopause is highly overrated. Am I wrong to question her in this area when I know that the symptoms I am having could very well be peri-related? I'm just not sure I accept that she is right in this instance.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-24-2007, 11:50 AM   #2
(female)

MmeLeota HB User
Re: Peri questions-PA says no way

I was your age when I started. I was Peri-meno for 7 years and now 3 years Post-menopausal. I had all the symptoms you wrote about.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-24-2007, 12:36 PM   #3
(female)

gtts4u HB User

My dr's kept telling me there was no way too! Finally, at age 39, I was diagnosed with Premature Ovarian Failure or early menopause. All my hormones tested post menapausal.
Ask your dr. to check Estrogen, FSH and LH on day 3 of your cycle. Also thyroid levels too as they can mimick symptoms of menapause.
Good luck~

Old 09-24-2007, 12:41 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

cjammom HB User

Hi whitsmom..I cant believe that another women would say that about menopause.

I talked to my PA about it and she told me in no uncertain terms that I am too young to have any peri symptoms and that menopause is highly overrated.

Ive been through menopause..twice actually..once chemo induced and then again after I had my hysterectomy..symtoms of menopause highly overrated!! I think not!! I bet your PA hasnt gone through menopause yet, or if she is or has, she must have taken something for the side effects..either that or shes one very lucky lady!!

I have found that exercise has really helped me..I have the sweats, and the mood swings alot more when I miss a day at the gym..

I hope you can get some relief soon,
hugs,
cj.

Old 09-24-2007, 08:53 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

marian100 HB User

I am about to turn 53 and am in year 8 of peri. If I can make it to January without a period then I will be officially in menopause... So you are not to young. Godbless

Old 09-24-2007, 10:03 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

CrazyLife414 HB UserCrazyLife414 HB UserCrazyLife414 HB User

My doc said that my "numbers" did not indicate menopause, but that you can be in perimenopause and have all of the signs and symptoms up to 10 years before actual menopause starts and your blood tests probably won't show any definable difference! I would sure find a new PA or Doctor....
I can't believe another woman would say something like that, I hope when it is her turn to start down this road she thinks about what she said to you...
Take Care!!
Crazy

Old 09-25-2007, 12:45 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

rheanna HB Userrheanna HB User

whitsmom,

I started obvious peri symptoms (irregular periods, hot flashes, drying skin, etc) at the age of 39. Your PA is misinformed.

--Rheanna

Old 09-25-2007, 08:36 AM   #8
(female)

whitsmom HB User

I think it's time to visit my gyno about it. The PA is just my "general doctor" & I was a bit surprised that she had that attitude about menopause, too. It's good (relatively speaking!) to know that other people have the same symptoms as I do. I notice that the bloating, etc gets worse as it gets closer to my period, so I'm sure it's all hormonal. Yea. Thanks for everyone's input; I don't think I have quite as much confidence in my PA as I did.

Old 09-26-2007, 09:56 AM   #9
(female)

pinkice1960 HB User

whitsmom - i am 47 and started perimenopause at 38. at age 46 my blood levels were tested and i am at the tail-end of menopause. my mom was through post-menopause by age 33. the females on my mom's side go through menopause early. get a new gp and ob/gyn - you need someone who listens and is on "your side".

Old 09-26-2007, 11:48 AM   #10
(female)

Wink HB User

I am 46 and have been in menopause for well over a year. I started with symptoms in my late 30's. All the women in my family have gone through menopause early. Like everyone else, I am really surprised at your doctors comments. My own gyn was a bit skeptical (a women to boot) but the test results were conclusive. Please find a doctor who is open-minded and current on women's health issues. Menopause carries with it a host of symptoms that can be unusual and sometimes frightening if you don't make the connection between them and menopause.

Good luck!
Wink

Old 09-27-2007, 09:47 AM   #11
(female)

whitsmom HB User

My Mom went through menopause at about age 57, so I would suspect that I will follow an approximate time-frame. Therefore, I really do suspect that I am dealing with peri-menopause now, no matter what my PA thinks. I never had this particular range of symptoms before the last year and, for the most part, they seem to act up around the time of my period. I don't believe I will be visiting her again for anything gyno-related.

Old 10-06-2007, 07:24 PM   #12
(female)

dsspice HB User

OMG I want to scream! I am so annoyed by the attitude that so many of us run into regarding perimenopause, I'm 45 and absolutely certain I am in the throes of it, it can be a 10 yr process, it can start in your 30s, and dont get me started on the whole "here's an anti anxiety prescription and a referral to a shrink" phenomenon that many doctors subject us to. My doctor checked my FSH and decided "its not menopause"-- all the FSH level will tell is that I am still getting a period, in fact I was on my period when my blood was taken so DUH!
I intend to try salivary hormone testing and want to begin bio identical hormone replacement, my insurance wont pay for any of this, so I am gearing up to come out of pocket for this stuff, I'm tempted to write the Oprah show and ask them to do a series on perimenopause so that maybe then if its on Oprah, some people in the medical profession will now have heard of it and it will become more familiar, and btw I barely have hot flashes but that's the first thing anyone will ask you about if u think u are entering menopause, I have worse things to worry about than sweating and fanning.
sorry just needed to vent, I am frustrated.
Also, I have been reading tons of books, theres a lot of info out there.
[removed]

Last edited by mod-anon; 10-08-2007 at 02:47 AM. Reason: do not discuss online purchasing

Old 10-07-2007, 05:26 PM   #13
(female)

lunalu HB User

I would look for another Dr.( preferably a woman) who works with women in menopause, then get the blood tests.

Old 10-08-2007, 01:37 PM   #14
(female)

JPino9179 HB User

I am glad (in a way) to hear that other women are being questioned about peri- symptoms. I am 48 now. I have been having irregular periods and months of hot flashes, dryness, etc for the last two years. When I started to complain two years ago, my gyn (a male) said I was too young for meno. He did the FSH test and it showed I was at menopausal levels. The symptoms weren't too bad then, so I decided to do nothing. Last year, same thing. I basically skip periods and have symptoms for 3-4 months and then everything goes back to normal. I tried black cohosh, but the dr said it's not been tested enough and he recommended that I stop taking it, so I did. This year is much worse! I have been w/o period since May and the hot flashes, dryness and insomnia are extremely annoying and disrupting my life! My annual aptmt is next week. Any suggestions as to how to approach treatment? What have you ladies had success with? I am wringing out my wet hair right now, sitting in front of a fan!
JP

Old 10-08-2007, 05:26 PM   #15
(female)

kiko53 HB User

Don't get caught up ! The Peri term is like saying you are almost pregnant! I resented a dermatologist telling me at 32 that my acne was because I was peri menopausal - so the time that we as women have basically anything "concerning" crying, sleeplessness, itching, mood swings, pimples, bloating, - you name it from age mid 30ties to actual menopause (defined after not having a period after one year) is so termed 'peri" !!!!!
SO DEAL WITH IT _ IT IS ONLY A WORD! Not trying to sound mean but basically WE need to make our own decisions at this point in our lives - A doc may say one thing, a nutritionist another, but bototm line is - it is your body (your temple as the spiritual ists say - and they may offer to just have you meditate/do yoga) hey don' t laugh it may be just what you need - It is similar to everything else that is concerning high Cholesterol/blood pressure - we all know what we need to do to stay healthy eat right or take the colestrol lowering pill, lost weight or risk heart disease but we as women today live longer and take better care of ourselves so as Susanne Sommers suggests in her one book (no, she is no doctor but because of being a star and having gone through cancer and facing life and death decisions - she was able to get acess to top doctor's knowledge on hormones/women's health and shares what info she got ) So I just think you need someon ewho will work with you not tell you what to do - get in the best shape medically you can be in (it's a super size world out there - btw good movie) have your blood work done hormones/thyroid, get bone density level (DEXA is the name look for companies that come around to local health clubs/recreation centers - same test for under $60 that would cost ~$200 @ a hospital) done so you can compare future tests AND a big one people are missing the boat on... Vitamin D it too is a hormone [removed] - lots of research shows it is a big factor in women' s health and most of us are low - we don't absorb enough from the sun (just a simple blood test along with the others - may also want to check calcium as well) I am taking a prescription dose once a month (after once/week for 8 months ( and I live in CO where there are 300 sunny days/year!) and my bone density improved after two years. Once you have your info YOU make the decision as to HRT or not - YOU pick - chemical (ingredients usually hard to pronounce/some made from pregnant horse's urine) or bio- identical (from ingredients that can't be patented so therefore the drug companies can always say "well be careful ladies in peri menipause - these bio identicals THAT CAN BE COMPOUNDED which drug companies proudly say "oh these compounding concoctions hav enot been approved by the FTA but last I looked my body produces them !!!! do you ever think that the expensive clinical trials may be one sided ...somebody has to pay for them - just consider both sides of the warnings ...of cancer, weight gain, effectiveness/noneffectiveness - look at which hormones are being tested and who is paying for the study. Does anyone have any info on studies done with women on bio identical hormones??? So whatever phase you are in ..be it teen years, (who ever thought we would have teens with osteoperosis?), your peri phase of 20+years, your golden years --ask yourself what is your quality of life ???? sometimes you risk something else to feel better/live better and be better. ONLY YOU should make that decision !

Last edited by mod-anon; 10-08-2007 at 11:50 PM. Reason: do not instruct members to do outside searches

Closed Thread