It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2007, 04:29 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

vickie45 HB Uservickie45 HB User
can someone tell me what post meno means??? and what does HRT do to help????

hi im in postmeno according to my gyn and im going to be started on HRT she said for life which dont bother me if they work,i know HRT replaces the hormones we loose i have everything except 1 ovary and tube ,she said my good ovary and all the other stuff is producing the hormones but not enough im 45 and i want to know if any of you ladies out there have ever tried HRT and how well does it do for you my gyn a woman dr told me it will help with my hotflushes ,mood swings ,depression,crying and also sexdrive i dont have pain im just not too interested in it but im also under ALOT of stress so can any of you give me some advice on how well it dose i think shes putting me on premera if thats how you spell it .and the lowest dose too and why would she want me on it for life thats confusing but my sister who hasnt had anything removed told me her gyn told her the same thing for life im not scared to take it since we have no breast cancer in the family .so can anyone tell me how thery feel on it plus do you have to be weened off this med or what and is it anything like anti d's i was told its not cause i cant take anti d's
vickie

Last edited by vickie45; 09-26-2007 at 04:29 AM. Reason: forgot to put my name

Old 09-26-2007, 10:27 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: can someone tell me what post meno means??? and what does HRT do to help????

Post menopause means you have not have a period in 12 months or more. I have been on HRT for almost 5 years and wouldn't consider getting off! Takes care of all my symptoms! I was on Femhrt but recently switched to Activella due to a change in insurance. So far, so good.

And you can get off it any time. No need to wean. The only thing is that you will get all the symptoms back and they can last from 1-3 years. No thank you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-27-2007, 04:33 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Question Re: can someone tell me what post meno means??? and what does HRT do to help????

TITCHOU...thanks for responding well i havent went 12 mos yet but im going on 10 mos so thats pretty close .im deep;y depressed which i think meno does this plus under alot of stress but thats a totally different story i will write that on the stress boards.so being on them 5 yrs makes you feel like yourself again ? like im asking it helpes with hotfluses,depression,crying,mood swings,crabbiness .sleep .and what anout the energy i do have some energy and the strange thing with me is this for allmost 2 yrs i suffered with thyrold disoder well i stopped my meds cause they were causing me alot of trouble so i stopped them for 8 weeks and all the symtons went away and went to gyn and my tsh is normal 2.8 and t4 is midrange 8.2 and i mfeel good except for the stress my husband dont even want to try to understand whats going on plus does the HRT help with the panic attacks? if not i take xanax i was told i have a panic disorder.so i get mine next week and onemore question does it help with the anxiety /panic or is this something totally different?? and what about the sexdrive ? as of right now i dont care if i have it or not later i will write on the stress boards and you can see why im so stressed if you would like ,i will write sometime today not sure when but keep checking and find me and you will see all my stress my level of stress is skyhigh.....
GODS PRESIOUS THANKS SO MUCH ..oh and if taking them for life is this also save??? if gyn says to take for life they must be right,,, and they are totally different then way back when my mother took them .i get mine next week when husband gets paid as i cant afford them till then and how soon till they start working???
VICKIE

Old 09-27-2007, 05:09 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: can someone tell me what post meno means??? and what does HRT do to help????

Well, I had: severe mood swings, losing urine when I coughed or laughed, no sex drive, nervous/anxious, husband threatened to hide the kitchen knives from me, etc. This was when I was in perimenopause. Two weeks after a change in bcp, I was back to normal. Once my body wanted to stop having periods (would skip them even on the bcp), we put me on HRT and have been on it ever since. Everything still fine.

Old 09-27-2007, 05:32 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

thats great news to hear so the HRT is working wonders for you ? im starting mine next week i think shes putting me on premera if thats how you spell it and yes at times i am so bad i want to just die its so horrible so how soon did it take for your HRT'S to start working oh believe me i have been through enough of this meno now on the hotness i dont have them real bad most of my trouble is the depression ,crying nonstop ,wake early sometimes and the crabbiness .and over anything i understand my hubby dont understand but like i told him its not my fault so i hope they start working FASTTTTT,and also no sexdrive .and yes im taking HRT for life i even got to the point where i wanted to kill myself and ended up in mental ward because of it but i didnt know what was wrong and i had thyrold disoder my endo tried to say id have it for life well she was wrong i no longer have thyrold i stopped my thyrold meds for 8 weeks and my tsh is now normal its 2.8 and my t4 is 8.2 and it went down without the meds and my gyn says i most likely dont have thyrold anymore and all those drs were giving me thyrold meds when i didnt need it all along my troubles were meno onething its so unfair we women have to go through all this and men dont .the women suffer because of eve in the bible anyways thats what i was told .
the husbands say they go through it dealing with us lol if a man could go through meno even for a day then they'd maybe understand the troubles we go through its horrible .i cant wait to start my HRT
thanks mistyfor responding.
VICKIE ((((GODS ))))))

Old 10-10-2007, 07:43 PM   #6
(female)

kbale56 HB User

I envy you for being able to even find a doctor that will prescribe HRT.
I have been going thru this for several years and no one will prescribe HRT.
I have begged and pleaded my case but they have every excuse in the world.
I have good colestral, excellent blood presure and no other health problems except anxiety and depression. Even that is not good enough for them. Why
do they just let people suffer when HRT will work? Can they just ignore the patient like that ? I was on HRT, Prempro for a short time and then the doctor says it is only meant to be used for a very short time and just refused to refill my prescription. I went to two other doctors and just more of it's not good for you. How can I convince them otherwise? Wish there were doctors in central Florida that would give HRT to otherwise healthy patients.

good luck to you

Old 10-14-2007, 10:11 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

oh sorry ladies but its prempro 0.3/1.5 i did start taking them and the dr said shes a female gyn and she told me within 2 weeks i should start feeling myself again and as long as i have my paps and mam's each yr i will do great i just have to be patient ,the crying is the worst for me i get my feelings hurt realy easy and start vrying for no reason and as for your husband which ever one said that its like that here i dont do that but im allways saying i wish id die but i dont really mean it its the meno causeing all this our bodies are going through a very BIG change and our hormones are whacky right now ,i get some hotness but not too bad my main trouble is the crying and i mean i CRY ALOT if i go to drs i start crying to my kids school i cry if any of my family says anything that normal people would understand well i get my feelings hurt .so what im asking is this will the prempro help me with all this ??? she gave me 3 weeks sample to see how they work i have only took 3 pills so far and which is best to take morning or night ?? im not scared of the risk because she said its just a slight risk which means very low and no breast cancer nor clotts in my family .oh and has any of you had any side effects from yours the only thing im having is constipation and then it turns iinto diarea well not quite diarea i just need to run to bathroom fast but its not watery or nothing so i guess its just constipation then when it passes i have to run fast .sorry for saying all that but thats how i do ,plus has any of you ever had falling spells from meno ?? cause i been having fainting spells or maybe its loss of balance since sept 06 had my surgery jan 06 but maybe its stress or could panic disorder do this but i think its getting better im not falling as often i have headaches but once my dr switched blood pressure meds the headaches are going away along with the falling so maybe that was due from b/p meds and i heard where just before you hit meno you can not all women have thyrold disorder and i did for 7 mos then i stopped the thyrold meds because it was causeing blackouts and without meds for 9 weeks my tsh went to normal range to 2.8 and t4 was 8.2 midrange which i was told where it needs to be before my t4 was allways 1.5 and i felt horrible .so can anyone on the boards tell me anything about the prempro ? like how do you feel did you get your LIFE BACK ....and what symtons does it take away like the crying,depression,hotness ,sexdrtive which would help if it works ,and i was told anti d's dont really help for 1 anti d's help with stress and depression but they dont replace the hormones .o any advice would really be helpfull to me as im confused and the gyn did say the side effects im having will pass in about 2 weeks plus it will also prevent us from getting that boneloss (osteoprosis )i know thats not how you spell it but my mom and grandma both had it my grandma isnt here now but my mom is 71 and she suffers with it she tried the meds to help but couldnt handle the side effects so she lives with it and she said it does hurt so see i dont want that .so any advice on this would surely help me out alot .
vickie

Old 10-14-2007, 10:21 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbale56 View Post
I envy you for being able to even find a doctor that will prescribe HRT.
I have been going thru this for several years and no one will prescribe HRT.
I have begged and pleaded my case but they have every excuse in the world.
I have good colestral, excellent blood presure and no other health problems except anxiety and depression. Even that is not good enough for them. Why
do they just let people suffer when HRT will work? Can they just ignore the patient like that ? I was on HRT, Prempro for a short time and then the doctor says it is only meant to be used for a very short time and just refused to refill my prescription. I went to two other doctors and just more of it's not good for you. How can I convince them otherwise? Wish there were doctors in central Florida that would give HRT to otherwise healthy patients.

good luck to you
kbale my gyn says i can take prempro for life if i want too.and why did they make the meds if we cant as long as we have our pap's and mam's done yrly??? your right dont make since my mom's dr only kept her on for 6 mos but they put her on too late she had only her uterus removed at age 33 and they didnt put her on premera till her late 50's so thats why she got the ostioperosis ...
vickie

Old 12-13-2007, 07:22 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

hi ladies .well i had to start back on my prempro i stopped them for a short time cause i thought i was having side effects but found out it wasnt the prempro ,and oh boy my depression came back and my crying and among other things im staying on them i do smoke but getting ready to start chantix to help me stop smoking cause i hear its bad if we smoke and i dont need more trouble .ok and i was on activella too and they wasnt working as well so i went back to prempro i have no hotflashes im cold more then hot but my worst symton was the crying and depression and the reason i choose HRT over anti d's is for one i have tried many none helped me at all plus they make me sleepy the prempro gives me energy i also take xanax but im trying to get the dr to switch me to klonipins the dr i have now wont but hes leaving so im asking the new dr they give me i never tried klonipins but my sister says there better then xanax said xanax makes you feel so tired and cant do much which i think at times is true but i dont want klonipins if they wont help i never tried them so i have no idea how they work so for now im on xanax .why is it that when we go into meno we get the anxiety ?? i have had it my whole life but never had to use any benzos till after my ovary was removed in jan 06 .i did have a period while on my HRT is this normal or does this mean im not all the way in meno i had my last period dec 06 then another one was nov 07 this yr so thats close to a yr .but i do know that the prempro stops my crying spells and no way can i live with that id wake up crying and cry allday long sometimes and i mean real bad too so far this is my 2nd week on prempro again and i have not cried since i do have the anxiety though which oh how i hate does the anxiety go away i sure hope so .and if my gyn said i can take for life then most likely i can right as long as im checked every yr while on them ,i sure wish i had went to my gyn before i did then they may have been able to save my ovary see back in 1996 a dr saw a small cyct on my ovary and just said oh well it will go away on its own well it didnt so from 1996 to 2005 it grew but i was checked normal but none of the drs found it till nov 2005 but thank goodness it wasnt cancer so from jan 2006 to 2007 i went into sudden meno right?? i never had too much hotflashes i mainly had the crying and depression and i told this mental ward this and they didnt believe me and wanted to put me on anti d's well why take if they dont help right plus they dont replace the hormones like the HRT DOES . well does anyone else have any good news about HRT or bad meno symtons ???
thanks vickie

Old 01-25-2008, 03:20 PM   #10
(female)

chriszie HB User
Smile Re: can someone tell me what post meno means??? and what does HRT do to help????

I am new here. I am now weening off HRT. went thru menopause at 46 am 50 now. no hot flashes but 1 or 2 mainly went on hrt for my moods, worse than pms also has NO desire for sex, and if you knew me this is indeed unusual. my poor husband...anyway last few months cramping and one month spotted. scared me so bad as I hear after menopause that could mean cancer. so went to my ob she said unless symptons for taking hrt are severe they should not be taken, the risks out weigh the benefit, she said anyway. so she is having me take a pill every other day and then every 2 days and so on. I am on prempro. just nice to hear that perhaps what was going on with me was not serious as I have read here others having my symptons after menopause.

Closed Thread