It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2007, 04:44 AM   #1
(female)

debs1000 HB User
Induce the menstrual cycle??

I have been experiencing perimenopause symptoms for the past year or so: intermittent cycles; hot flashes.

Last time I went to the gynecologist, I mentioned that my recent period was 3 months 'late'. It finally came, and lasted a bit longer than usual, but wasn't extremely heavy.

She told me that, next time there is a 3 month gap between cycles, I should come in to get some kind of medication which would induce my period. She went on to explain that since I'm not consistently ovulating, my uterus will just keep 'filling up' until gravity forces a menstrual period.

If it really necessary to induce the cycle? I have spoken to at least 3 other friends going through similar symptoms, and none of them have been required to have their period induced like this.

Anyone else have such an experience?

Thanks,
Deb

Old 11-05-2007, 08:27 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rheanna HB Userrheanna HB User
Re: Induce the menstrual cycle??

Quote:
Originally Posted by debs1000 View Post
She told me that, next time there is a 3 month gap between cycles, I should come in to get some kind of medication which would induce my period. She went on to explain that since I'm not consistently ovulating, my uterus will just keep 'filling up' until gravity forces a menstrual period.
debs1000,

May I suggest that the advice of your doctor is certainly different from any other gynocologist that I have ever heard. Women's uteruses don't just keep "filling up" until gravity forces the blood to run out. Our periods, and the perimenopause time of life is about the fluctuation of hormones. Progesterone causes the uterus to thicken the lining (not the interior like a water baloon!) with blood and other nutrients, and then this is released when the level of progesterone goes down.

You aren't going to explode from too much blood if you pass on your doctor's invitation to induce your period. There are certainly times when using extra hormones to balance the body's own levels is indicated. But just because you haven't had a period in 3 months is in itself not an indication of anything that needs fixing!

HRT (hormone relpacement therapy) can help some women who are having peri symptoms that make life difficult (I use an estrogen patch myself). But, I repeat, going 3 months without a period is something to be celebrated at this time of life -- it's perfectly normal as your hormones fluctuate, and lots of women on this Board are looking forward to the end of periods altogether.

End of rant. Welcome to the Menopause Board! -- and to perimenopause!

--Rheanna

Last edited by rheanna; 11-05-2007 at 08:36 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-05-2007, 08:45 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

liverpool sue HB User

an excellent posting rheanna. as usual you are full of common sense and knowledge. i think it is easy to forget that in actual fact menopause is a natural thing and not an illness. that's not to say some of the symptoms don't feel like some sort of dreaded disease at times, and that some of us ladies suffer worse than others. it's worth remembering too, that the vast majority of women come out the otherside in one piece, and life goes on.

Old 11-05-2007, 09:04 AM   #4
(female)

debs1000 HB User

thanks very much to both of you for replying! Perhaps in my ignorance I mis-wrote about the uterus "filling up". I was just using my dumb terminology for what she said, which was akin to "uterine lining builds up until gravity makes it come out".

Is her suggestion that I induce my period a form of hormone replacement therapy?

Deb

Old 11-06-2007, 12:07 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

rheanna HB Userrheanna HB User

liverpool sue,

Thanks for the kind words. As you say, having the periods become irregular and finally stop is a normal part of menopause. Millions and millions of women have gone through the process for bazillions of generations of the human race.

debs1000,

I would say that any form of added hormones, whether it's over-the-counter progesterone cream or monthly estrogen/progesterone or a one-time inducement of a period constitutes hormone therapy. I personally would not take hormones just because I hadn't had a period in a while, assuming that there isn't some other medical reason for doing so. Are you having any other symptoms? Hormones are powerful stuff -- just ask any woman with pms or pregnancy or perimenopause. There might be reasons to take them (like the peri symptoms are making life miserable and your doctor has ruled out any riskfactors), but they are still powerful and should not be taken lightly.

--Rheanna

Last edited by rheanna; 11-06-2007 at 01:05 AM. Reason: having problems with grammar today

Old 11-06-2007, 04:49 AM   #6
(female)

debs1000 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rheanna View Post

debs1000,

I would say that any form of added hormones, whether it's over-the-counter progesterone cream or monthly estrogen/progesterone or a one-time inducement of a period constitutes hormone therapy. I personally would not take hormones just because I hadn't had a period in a while, assuming that there isn't some other medical reason for doing so. Are you having any other symptoms? Hormones are powerful stuff -- just ask any woman with pms or pregnancy or perimenopause. There might be reasons to take them (like the peri symptoms are making life miserable and your doctor has ruled out any riskfactors), but they are still powerful and should not be taken lightly.

--Rheanna
Hi Rheanna,

I so appreciate your feedback! I did not know that period-induction was a form of hormone therapy, as she did not tell me the exact drug that might be used to induce. I'm not having any other symptoms that I'm aware of; the hot flashes have been quite manageable - knock wood -- lasting only about 45 seconds. I would prefer not to go on hormone therapy unless symptoms become unbearable. I'm definitely going to bring this up with my gyn.

Thanks again,
Deb

Closed Thread