It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2007, 04:22 AM   #1
(female)

hazely HB User
Unhappy Is it true that menopause causes seizures?

<ref: http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=277122>

Hello,
I'm 21 and have been recenty diagnosed with epilepsy. I completely understand about the fear of leaving the house, my life is nothing now however I know in time i will accept it and live a normal life. I suffer from severly terrible periods and bad PMS up to 2 weeks before hand. My fits only seem to occur in this time close to my menstrual cycle. Perhaps womens hormone levels and sezures are linked.
I hope you find this of some help.
Hazel

Last edited by mod-anon; 12-16-2007 at 11:22 PM. Reason: starting a new thread with this post.

Old 12-17-2007, 02:24 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Linma2428 HB User
Re: Is it true that menopause causes seizures?

I do not have seizures but have been told from friend that has them they can be worse in connection with your hormones. Like you she had more seizures during Pms. She is now 48 and had a hystorectomy and is doing very well and suffers fewer seizures.

Linda

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-18-2007, 08:08 AM   #3
(female)

RANDYSLOVE HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linma2428 View Post
I do not have seizures but have been told from friend that has them they can be worse in connection with your hormones. Like you she had more seizures during Pms. She is now 48 and had a hystorectomy and is doing very well and suffers fewer seizures.

Linda
I have lots of seizures around or before my periods. I had brain surgery in October 2007 and was looking forward to being seizure free, lucky thinking. I am due to start anytime and I had 3 seizures Saturday night. The 1st ones since my surgery. I cried for 2 days! I do believe & have been told by doctors that this can cause seizures. I hope you get better. (((Hugs)))

Old 12-18-2007, 08:16 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

vickie45 HB Uservickie45 HB User

hi im now in menopause im 45 and i have seizures im not on any meds yet i see the neuro dr jan 8th back when i was 4 i started having seizures till i was about 10 or so then they stopped and in sept 06 when i was close to meno is when i started having seizures not bad just ever so often, now that im in meno and no meds yet i have a seizure about once a week or 2 a week and sometimes i can go as long as a month before i have another, i was mis -dianosed as having panic but it was really seizures .i too am scared to leave the house i go to and from the car and somedays i do fine and other days i dont, i even have seizures at home, so i truely believe hormones have a great deal with seizures cause i went from way back when i was 4-11 or so and then here iam 45 and im having seizures and i do have family history of seizures they cant pick nothing up in the scans but the dr said sometimes they have to go by the symtons and i had a big one on dec 4th then dec 6th and another dec 14th and the one on the 4th my sister saw the whole thing i cant remeber nothing about that day so my sister wrote out a paper of what she saw and im taking it to the drs with me to show him what i done that day i was out cold and i still dont remember anything about that day except going to my mom's and seeing my sisters white sweater thats all i can recall .
i cant say for sure if meno triggers them but i have heard they do and seems strange that im in meno due to early meno because of surgery and im having seizures now, so id say yes most likely.and they are scarry ,and i know the difference between panic and seizures cause with a seizure i just drop to the floor and i just lay there i dont hyper vent and its like im sleeping ,but with panic i freakout and start breathing heavy feels like i cant breath and start crying ,and when i have a seizure my eyes flicker really bad so to me i think meno plays a role in them and i too use to suffer with pms but never had a seizure i was allways mean and hatefull though but never had a seizure till meno.wow i cried alot too from my seizures but i just assumed it was my meno but im now on HRT and the crying and depression has gone so far but i do cry everytime i have a seizure though cause for one i hate living with them im due to have another MRI i was suppose to in aug but the dr my reg dr wouldnt give me nothing to calm me down he said he dont believe in xanax or stuff but yet i take xanax now for my panic see i have both panic and seizures but the HRT seems to be helping me a great deal too.i wont ever go without them they gave me back my life now i just need to get the seizure meds and i will be the person i once was before 2006.
vickie

Last edited by vickie45; 12-18-2007 at 08:28 AM.

Closed Thread