It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2008, 08:28 AM   #1
(female)

Juby HB User
Question full menopause at age 43

My daughter has had symptoms of perimenopause for the last couple of years. She missed three periods before she went to her GYN for a checkup. The doctor ran a hormone test and said she is in complete menopause.
We are wondering if there are any negative things about having menopause so young besides the obvious ones like weight gain, and aging. Does it make you more prone to breast cancer or anything like that? The doctor acted like it was perfectly normal.

The following user gives a hug of support to Juby:
stacie1579 (12-13-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-19-2008, 02:34 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

MAD MAZ HB User
Re: full menopause at age 43

Hi I am also 43 years old and have been told that I am in the menopause.

My fsh was 30 a year ago what was your Daughter's !!

I think mine is Autoimmune.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-20-2008, 05:10 PM   #3
(female)

Juby HB User

My daughter's fsh is 41. The doctor didn't say why she was in menopause so young, but I have been trying to find out if maybe having three ovary cysts could be causing it. They are just watching the cysts and don't seem concerned about them. When my daughter goes back she is going to ask the doctor if they could cause it. I haven't found any connection in my research so far.

Old 01-21-2008, 12:50 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

rheanna HB Userrheanna HB User

Juby,

You are right to look into the reasons for early memnopause, of course. But I would like to propose something else to think about.

The average age for women to have completed menopause (one year without periods) is supposed to be around 50. This does not mean that women normally go into menopause at age 50. I means that half of all women have reached menopause by that age.

I started obvious peri-menopause symptoms (irregular periods, dry skin and vagina as well as night sweats during the "off" hormonal times, followed by normal periods and moisture during the "on" times) at the age of 39. I suspect that it took another 10 years for me to be considered "officially" menopausal, as it took that long for the low dosage to become insufficient to combat the symptoms.

I figured at the time that I had just "used up" my allotment of hormones early because I had regular periods of 23-25 days for my entire reproductive period (with 15 periods per year instead of the "normal" of 12-13), and I didn't have any children. This may be entirely bogus speculation on my part, but it helped me accept that I was just in the "early" half (before 50) rather than the "late" half (after 50) to reach menopause.

Cysts can, I understand, affect the hormones. It is appropriate to research further and see if there are any underlying causes that can be treated. I wish you luck in finding out waht is happening with your daughter. And please report back on what your daughter finds out from her doctor -- we can all learn from each other!

--Rheanna

Old 01-25-2008, 06:48 AM   #5
(female)

albrght65 HB User

i am 42 years old and recently started having what i imagine to be hot flashes. my period which is normally on a regular monthly schedule and heavy as can be is late. i work and spend a great deal of time on my feet which i attributed my aches and pains to. could this be early menapause?

Old 03-11-2008, 01:34 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

MAD MAZ HB User

Hi up date I I just had my fsh done again and its now 81 I didn't think it could go up so high!!

How is your Daugher doing??

I have had all nutty things going on with me I have had a bowel bolckage and I now have hemorrids and a tear, also my Anxitey is really bad all this at the good old age of 43...take care all...Mandy

Old 03-11-2008, 03:33 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User

Hi Ladies: Just wanted to chime in re: my experience. I'm 46 and am in peri at the moment. This is actually my "second" meopause. My first one happened when I was in my late 20's. I stopped ovulating, menstruating and my hormone levels went through the floor. All except for my testosterone. All women have testosterone, just much lower levels than men. Mine at that point were at the lower levels for a man.

What I was finally diagnosed with was something called Polycystic Ovarian Synndrome. (PCOS) It is a syndrome that most women who are having fertility problems are diagnosed with. I had already had my daughter by then and we were not trying to get pregnant, but I was just concerned why everything had stopped.

Cysts can produce hormones and they can also cause other hormones to fluctuate, up or down. The usual treatment for it is to introduce additional hormones, such as estrogen and progesterone. There is also, frquently a tendency for insulin resistance with PCOS and so many women are put on diabetic medications. Some women have some of the symptoms and some have all of them. The one constant is multiple cysts on one or both ovaries. These are always "simple" cysts (benign).

In my late 30's, completely out of the blue, my normal cycle began again...I had not had any treatments for over 6 years! Even my GYN had no idea why it all changed. Now I'm in peri, so I get to go through this all over again (Yippee!!)

I guess what this novel I seem to have written is about was to maybe shed some light into another possibility for what your daughter is experiencing. In recent years this has been being caught early in most women, but there is really no set age for this to happen. Many women do not show the signs till later in life.

Just wanted to let you know this (PCOS) exists. Maybe it will help. cmpgirl

Old 03-13-2008, 03:11 PM   #8
(female)

nutzo4horses HB User

I'm 48 and have been POST-menopausal for 8 years now. I went thru menopause really quick and early. I've been reading about "PTLS" Post Tubal Ligation Syndrome which can be a very real cause for early menopause. I was amazed to find out that many women have suffered the symptoms of PTLS after having a tubal ligation. I had mine when I was 38 and within two years, was totally menopausal much to my dismay. It seems when they cut/burn/tie your fallopian tubes during the TL procedure, it cuts off the much needed blood supply to the ovaries and in some women, can result in menopausal symptoms. No wonder!! I suffered all the symptoms of menopause before my time, thanks to this procedure and doctors not informing us of such. Many women are having TL reversals because of this and are finding that it "cures" all the menopausal and many other ill causes from TL. Wish I had known. Anyone else heard of or had experience with this?

Last edited by nutzo4horses; 03-13-2008 at 03:13 PM.

Closed Thread