It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2008, 02:00 PM   #1
(female)

suzie43 HB User
2 periods in a month - could this be the start of menopause?

Hi there, I am 43 years old and for the past two months have had two periods in each month, and am wondering if anyone can shed some light on whether this could be the start of menopause.

I have been very lucky with periods as in they have been very regular (around the first week of every month), for about 5 days - no heavy bleeding, no symptoms during, not much bloating. Usually about a week before very tender breasts (prior to menstruation then dissappearing when it starts).

For the past 6 months my periods have been different as in not normal (for me) PMS symptoms - no tender breasts, definate "grumpy" time -worse than usual, insomnia (for past 3 months), very hot/flushed face and neck a day or so before menstruation (but not every time).
Also my period comes on suddenly (and slightly heavier than usual) but finishes after about 3 days.
BUT for the last two months my period arrives when it is due, finishes up after three days, then I get another one on about day 17 of my cycle - again for about 3 days.
Has anyone had similar experience?
Suzie

Old 01-27-2008, 07:55 PM   #2
(female)

busymommy HB Userbusymommy HB User
Re: 2 periods in a month - could this be the start of menopause?

Hi, Suzie: I just decided to check out this forum because for the first month this just happened to me! Weird! I am almost 49 and have had regular periods for the most part until I became peri then my periods which were normally 28-30 days apart became closer to 24 days apart. Then I became anemic because of more periods, but I digress. I was going to call my doctor in the morning to get her take on this. I can only imagine it's "normal," but I want her opinion. Let's see if others have had this occurrence, too.

I might add, though, that this second period is not a "normal" period for me. This second time around, about 14 days after my first one, it's not a usual flow. It's less and kind of a brownish color.

Last edited by busymommy; 01-27-2008 at 08:00 PM. Reason: Add last paragraph

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-27-2008, 10:38 PM   #3
(female)

Mamasan2007 HB User

Hi Suzie, I think you have to wait and see if it continues- maybe its just a temporary thing and you will get back to normal

Old 01-28-2008, 10:09 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

marymk HB User

Hi Ladies,

I am 49 now, and about 2 1/2 years ago, my periods started coming closer together - usually around 21-23 days apart - but sometimes only 19. I was being checked out by my GYN, and she assured me that it was peri-menopause - after tests to rule out anything more serious.

Last year I had a couple of cycles that were only 14 days apart, and one month I never reallly stopped bleeding, so I was put on progesterone (hormone) to regulate my cycles to 27-30 days. This workded great for about 8 months. Now - low and behold, I never got my period in January, so I'm hoping that I am starting to skip them, instead of the annoying cycles I've had the past 2 years.

My GYN pretty much told me this would eventually happen, so I'm going to wait until I miss another couple periods and then give her a call to see if I need to confirm (by blood tests), that I'm actually in menopause.
Also, I've not taken the progesterone this month, as it's purpose was to stop the irregular periods, that I am no longer having.

Hope this helps shed some light - I would certainly call your Dr, just to make sure there are no underlying problems other than peri.

Mary

Old 01-29-2008, 01:12 AM   #5
(female)

suzie43 HB User

Thank you so much - I will indeed wait and see.

Suzie

Old 01-29-2008, 09:05 AM   #6
(female)

I just ran this (two periods in one month) by my doctor and she said it could be fluctuating hormones. If I wanted to rest my mind, she said I could have an endometrial biopsy. I have read others saying a sonogram is maybe a better, safer approach. I have a question into her now to see if this might be a better option. Hey, at least she is allowing me to have this procedure done to rest my mind. I like this about our health group. They are not hesitant with running tests. I'll let you know what happens.

Old 01-29-2008, 10:36 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

marymk HB User

busymommy,

Just to let you know, I had the enodmetrial biopsy (twice) and a few sonograms. They all came out normal and I was glad to have them done, as you say - to rest my mind.

Good Luck, I'm sure eveything will be fine.

Mary

Old 01-29-2008, 10:49 AM   #8
(female)

So Mary, would you have the biopsy or sonogram first?

Old 01-30-2008, 08:18 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

marymk HB User

busymommy,

I had the sonogram first - my GYN wanted to see if she could tell anythig from that - the first time I had a thickened uterine lining - so she did the biopsy - it was normal.

Two years later time I had another sonogram - everything looked normal - but I was bleeding for alomst a month (heavy at times), so she did the biopsy - it was normal again - but I was given provera to stop the bleeding, which worked quite well.
That was in August 2007 - and now I've gone almost two months without a periods, so I'm thinking I may be closer to menopause - I'm actually hoping this is it for me. I'm gong to see if it stay's away another month or so, and then go in and get my hormones tested - or she may just say wait unilt my yearly exam in August and get the test's then.
My GYN was pretty sure I was getting close to menopuase, since my bleeding was so erratic the past two years.

Mary

Old 01-30-2008, 08:37 AM   #10
(female)

Thanks. I'm having the biposy this morning just to be sure. My doctor didn't answer about the sonogram so I'll ask her later. Better safe than sorry!

Old 03-27-2008, 03:27 AM   #11
(female)

naturegirl07 HB User

Hi all,

This is my first time posting. Lately, I have been having really bad breast pain 1 week before my period but this month hasn't been that bad. I got my period on the 7th of March and it was slightly less heavy than usual but I got it for the full time 5-7 days. I had an appointment set up to see the gyno on the 26th but on the 24th I got my period again. Twice in one month! So far it is pretty much like a real period except I didn't experience breast pain or premenstual symptoms at all.

I will be 45 in October and I am praying this is a premenapause thing and not anything more serious. My gyno is testing my hormone levels and I will be having a sonogram soon. She is also going to be doing a biopsy next week. I have had slight spotting between periods in the past but this really worries. me. I just wanted to know just how common having 2 periods in a month is and what the outcome of people who have had this happen to them was.

I think it is really important to have these boards and to get an idea of what is "normal" perimenapause/menapause sypmtoms and conditions and what is not. I want to know what I'm getting into before it happens. I appreciate any and all responses. Thanks.

Old 03-27-2008, 06:00 AM   #12
Veteran
(female)

marymk HB User

Naturegirl,

Sounds like you got your period about 18 days apart - correct? I starting having this happen when I was about 46 -anywhere from 18-21 days apart. I say my gyn about it and she said it was most likely peri. I had all the various tests to make sure it wasn't anything worrisome. Now - (I'll be 50 this year), I have finally started missing periods - seems I am getting them 2-3 months apart.
It's good to get checked out to make sure everythihg is OK - but I would bet that your starting your journey into menopause - hang in there !!

Mary

Closed Thread