It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2008, 09:43 PM   #1
(female)

helen15320 HB User
Question menopause and anxiety

i am a 52 year old woman, who has had not had a period in 4 years. For some reason i have had very severe anxiety in the last two weeks...i had to miss a week of work ,and the anxiety doesn't seem to get any better.... it is kind of like a internal spring inside of me that keeps winding tighter and tighter. I am not on any kind of medications although someone i knew gave me a valium to see if it helped, and it did of course for just a short period of time....i have had no hormone replacement therapies...and i just can't figure out what is happening, although i do have a dr's appointment for this Monday... I have had some recent stresses lately...my daughter was diagnosed with leukemia last April....and i am fully dependent on myself for financial upkeep....I just can't understand why it seems i am so panicky and believe me this is no picnic. I would appreciate any help from anyone that maybe has gone through this situation or can leave any suggestions on what maybe is happening.....thank you very much for any input : : helen

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-03-2008, 07:04 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

liverpool sue HB User
Re: menopause and anxiety

hello helen. i think you are doing exactly the right thing by going to see your doctor. maybe you're suffering a little from depression (understandable from what you say) and could do with a bit of 'chemical' help for your brain to help recover. anxiety and depression can pop up when you least expect it, even when you think you're coping with things, and a little help could just do the trick for you. with you being 4 years without a period it may not be much, if anything, to do with your hormones but more to do with the stresses and strains you've had over the last 12 months. even just talking to the doctor about how you feel may make a difference. i hope your daughter is doing ok, and that you find a solution to your own problem. best wishes to you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-03-2008, 09:22 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

I C Hot HB User

Hi Helen,

I think it is a good thing you are going to see your Dr on Monday. Sometimes our bodies just need a little help. The stresses of life can just show up unexpected and we just need to get back to feeling better. I tried a couple of AD med's but I am very sensitive to meds and just could not tolerate them. I would also recommend a fish, flax, and borage pill. I take 2-3 a day and it has helped me with anxiety and panic attacks. I hope your daughter is doing well. Keep posting here, you are not alone, I have found great comfort being able to share and vent here.
Julie

Old 02-03-2008, 11:11 AM   #4
(female)

pud HB User

Hi Helen,

I know exactly how you feel! All my problems with depression and anxiety started up when I hit the menopause fully at 52 - I am now 54. Even though I have had these sort of problems in the past, in the menopause it just feels so DIFFERENT, if you know what I mean! Much worse! You just don't know what's going on, do you, and sometimes you just feel so ill, mentally and physically, so hard to explain. It's a hard time of life, sometimes I get very lonely, missing my daughters both away at university, and boredom, though I do try to keep occupied as much as possible and have a good network of supportive friends.

If you look at the posts, you will see this is such a common problem in the menopause. My GP trying me on anti-depressants and hrt, my symptoms now seem to be lifting a little, but I know it will take time. It's also worth having a blood test to see if your thyroid is alright as this can cause anxiety.

Let me know how you're getting on. Keep posting, and remember, there's so many of us ladies going through the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by helen15320 View Post
i am a 52 year old woman, who has had not had a period in 4 years. For some reason i have had very severe anxiety in the last two weeks...i had to miss a week of work ,and the anxiety doesn't seem to get any better.... it is kind of like a internal spring inside of me that keeps winding tighter and tighter. I am not on any kind of medications although someone i knew gave me a valium to see if it helped, and it did of course for just a short period of time....i have had no hormone replacement therapies...and i just can't figure out what is happening, although i do have a dr's appointment for this Monday... I have had some recent stresses lately...my daughter was diagnosed with leukemia last April....and i am fully dependent on myself for financial upkeep....I just can't understand why it seems i am so panicky and believe me this is no picnic. I would appreciate any help from anyone that maybe has gone through this situation or can leave any suggestions on what maybe is happening.....thank you very much for any input : : helen

Old 02-04-2008, 02:16 AM   #5
(female)

pud HB User

Hi Helen,

As I PS to my other post, anti-depressants may help you too. You have got such a lot on with your daughter being ill, this would be enough to upset anybody's system! I do hope she is doing OK, and I will pray for her.

Let us know how you're getting on.

Pud
xxxx

Old 02-04-2008, 02:19 AM   #6
(female)

pud HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pud View Post
Hi Helen,

My other message seems to have gone astray - I posted that anti-depressants may help you, but you are going through such a lot with your daughter, enough to upset anybody's symptoms. How is she doing? OK I hope. How old is she I have 2 daughters myself, so can understand how you feel. Please keep posting and letting us know how you are doing. I will pray for you and your daughter.

Pud
xxx

I know exactly how you feel! All my problems with depression and anxiety started up when I hit the menopause fully at 52 - I am now 54. Even though I have had these sort of problems in the past, in the menopause it just feels so DIFFERENT, if you know what I mean! Much worse! You just don't know what's going on, do you, and sometimes you just feel so ill, mentally and physically, so hard to explain. It's a hard time of life, sometimes I get very lonely, missing my daughters both away at university, and boredom, though I do try to keep occupied as much as possible and have a good network of supportive friends.

If you look at the posts, you will see this is such a common problem in the menopause. My GP trying me on anti-depressants and hrt, my symptoms now seem to be lifting a little, but I know it will take time. It's also worth having a blood test to see if your thyroid is alright as this can cause anxiety.

Let me know how you're getting on. Keep posting, and remember, there's so many of us ladies going through the same.

Old 02-04-2008, 03:27 PM   #7
(female)

helen15320 HB User

dear pud, thank you so much for your advice...i did go to the doctors today and they prescribed Zoloft...and xanax...but for me to only use the xanax when i desperately need it...which is what i am going to do...i will be starting the zoloft tomorrow morning so hopefully within a few weeks i am feeling better...thank you for your concern..its not easy being single and self-sufficent and well rather alone...and dealing with other daily problems..Thank you so much for your concern about my daughter,,, she is only 26 and dealing with her own serious medical problems....i try to help her as much as i can...both emotional and physical...she has her bad days and good days...Today is a good day for her,,,,Thank God....reply whenever you want...i so appreciate it....God bless you , helen

Old 02-06-2008, 10:52 AM   #8
(female)

pud HB User

Dear Helen,

Thanks for your post - my heart does go out to you. You don't say if you live alone, as I don't think this helps, or your daughter lives with you. I'm glad your doctor has prescribed some anti-depressants for you - please let us know how you get on. I am 54 and my periods stopped completely about 18 months ago - at that time I did feel a most definite change in my mood - life lost its joy and happiness somehow. Life events did change, which didn't help, but I don't really know, I just felt DIFFERENT somehow, and things just escalated from there.

Although a lot of our problems are most definitely menopausal, life circumstances can contribute a great deal. As for me, my two daughters are at university, my husband works long hours, my job is lone working (I'm a carer) and even though I am very involved with church activities and have a really good network of friends, I really think I need more than this. I do get so bored and lonely, which contributes to the problems I already have! I need a job that stimulates and motivates me and gets me in company and out and about each day! (Right now I'm even thinking of full time - a gamble as my daughters are likely to live at home for a while after leaving uni and the work load goes through the roof! They will have to help!). But it's a right Catch 22 situation - the anxiety is making me really scared about taking on a new job!

HOWEVER, today I decided (along with a friend who also has similar problems!) that next week we are going into our nearest big town and are looking for a job in a busy, lively place! It will be very hard I know, but somehow I feel I must do this now and try somehow to get my life back on track. Before having my children, I always worked like this, and I really think I need it. I am originally from a big city (Liverpool) and have always been used to the buzz and company. My youngest daughter is at Sheffield University, and I just love going there, reminds me so much of my days working in the city and I was so happy! You don't say what sort of job you have, but when you feel better - and the pills will make you feel better, but will take time as, unfortunately, anti-depressants take quite some while to kick in - you will find the job a God-send. I hope it is somewhere busy with good colleagues who understand your problems. I really feel for you being financially dependent only on yourself - goodness me, another thing to worry about! Can't win can we, hard to do a job with this problem, but yet a problem if we don't have one, in my case for the above reasons (at least I have a husband with a good job) and in your case for finances.

All the best luck in the world. Please keep posting and let us know how you're getting on (even if you feel much better and don't want to be bothered with us anymore, just let us know this!!)

Pam
(aka Pud)
xxxxxxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by helen15320 View Post
dear pud, thank you so much for your advice...i did go to the doctors today and they prescribed Zoloft...and xanax...but for me to only use the xanax when i desperately need it...which is what i am going to do...i will be starting the zoloft tomorrow morning so hopefully within a few weeks i am feeling better...thank you for your concern..its not easy being single and self-sufficent and well rather alone...and dealing with other daily problems..Thank you so much for your concern about my daughter,,, she is only 26 and dealing with her own serious medical problems....i try to help her as much as i can...both emotional and physical...she has her bad days and good days...Today is a good day for her,,,,Thank God....reply whenever you want...i so appreciate it....God bless you , helen

Old 02-09-2008, 09:34 AM   #9
(female)

mgobluefan HB User

Hang in there helen! I am sooooooooooo with you on the anxiety and panic attacks! And it has impacted my ability to work. And drugs that used to work for me on a prior bout with anxiety work no more! It was driving me crazy not knowing why this was happening! I am trying to push through it.

Prayers to your daughter, and to you for strength as well

Old 02-09-2008, 08:57 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

Linma2428 HB User

Helen, I am so glad this message was posted. I hope the zoloft and xanax work for you. Also that all turns out good for your daughter. I started a couple years ago getting what I call an out of body experience. I still have cycle and am 52. But the past couple years I feel so dissatisfied with my life. I have felt like walking out the door and disappearing and leaving a marriage of 27 years. I have 2 sons and no daughters so I don't have a close female family member. My mother just passed away Jan 17 and she was the main person I talked to. I can't work because of a disabiltiy but would love to leave move to a busy city and find something to get lost in. I wish you had someont to go through all the stresses with. good luck

Linda

Old 02-11-2008, 03:30 AM   #11
(female)

pud HB User

Hi,

I presssed a button on my previous reply - don't know where my post went. So here goes again!!

I think your meds have stopped working because you are in the menopause. Unfortunately, all your hormones are going crazy! I found my anti-depressants stopped working at this time (suffer from depression/anxiety/panic), same is happening to a friend of mine. But then I did something really dumb - I got hrt, began to feel a lot better, so thought I didn't need the meds anymore, so STOPPED THEM DEAD!! Oh dear! 3 months later, got really ill, doc told me off for doing this, also when I decided I needed to go back on them, I did so at the full dose, rather than building them up again slowly! To say I've messed with my brain chemicals is an understatement -as if they weren't in enough of a mess with the menopause! Anyway, doc said I need the hrt AS WELL AS the anti-depressants, not INSTEAD OF! What a plonker.

Anyway, now a long claw back to normal (whatever that is!) - as I've been back on the (full dose) of the ADs nearly a month now, I feel I am just beginning to turn the corner, but it is a long hard slog. I feel physically ill a lot of the time too. I did read somewhere that a part of the brain needs a huge amount of oestrogen just to function normally, so if the menopause caused a massive drop in this, what are we to expect but to feel extremely strange/ill, etc, etc, etc! The fact that it can send your body temperature into total chaos (hot flushes/night sweats) just goes to show what havoc is caused.

I do know that I felt a most definite mood change in the menopause that had not been there before, even in my setbacks with anxiety/depression (which always passed - not so with the menopause!). I also suffered terrible insomnia (my ads help with that now) - not like me at all. So something is going on!!!!!

Pud

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgobluefan View Post
Hang in there helen! I am sooooooooooo with you on the anxiety and panic attacks! And it has impacted my ability to work. And drugs that used to work for me on a prior bout with anxiety work no more! It was driving me crazy not knowing why this was happening! I am trying to push through it.

Prayers to your daughter, and to you for strength as well

Old 02-13-2008, 11:27 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User

I can relate to all of you. I have the panic/anxiety/depression too. I am 43 and going through the perimenpause stage. I feel like my mind and body are morphing into something I don't know about. It drives me crazy having all these weird body symptoms and little nagging ailments. And the changing hormones are just crazy. I even went to the ER a month or so ago with a panic attack in the middle of the night. I had just had a night sweat and peeled my clothes off. My heart was just racing. I hate this. Now I have muscle twitches which I am not sure where these are coming from. I just know that perimenopause and menopause have like 40 symptoms. Good luck to everyone. If you have to take meds, then by all means do it!

Old 02-14-2008, 08:21 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

deeannek HB User

Hi, just wanted to say you should get your thyroid check it has been known to cause anxiety and panic attacks especially in post menopausal women.

Old 03-10-2008, 05:29 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User

Yes, I do have hypothyroidism. I have had that for two years. I definately know that is where ALOT of my problems are coming from.

Old 03-10-2008, 06:04 PM   #15
(female)

JudeNZ HB UserJudeNZ HB User

Hi Helen,

MY gosh you've got such a lot on your plate, no wonder you feel you're cracking under the pressure. Don't be hard on yourself, as you're stretched in many directions right now. I know last year I had a lot of 'sticky' issues, plus some wonderful events, (like getting remarried) but also tiring organising and doing.

I'm 54, and only had one extremely light, almost non existent period in 16 months. A few years ago I was a mess with anxiety, then was doing pretty well, even started to feel normal. Suddenly it's all come back again, and I feel I've taken a giant leap backwards. I've been a mess, depression, anxiety, headaches, no motivation, loss of libido. Someone said they felt once they went through menopause it was as if someone took their love of life away, and that explains it pretty darn well.

I'm doing okay at the moment, and trying a few things, and if my improvement continues I'll post in a week or two.

It is a really <rotten> time for so many of us, and thank goodness for these boards where we can support one another.

I hope the Dr helps, but so many it seems have no understanding of menopause and what havoc it creates in our bodies. What hormones we have left are all over the place, no wonder we struggle.

I wish you and your daughter health and happiness.

take care

JudeNZ

Last edited by mod-anon; 03-10-2008 at 10:46 PM. Reason: watch your language on the Boards.

Closed Thread