It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2008, 12:38 PM   #1
(female)

mcdowell HB User
cold hands and feet

Does anyone have this?? I have had cold hands and feet all my life, no problem with that. In fact, if my feet would get warm at night I would be so miserable I couldn't sleep, so I would put ice on them, I could even walk in snow a little on my porch to cool them down, my hands, the same thing. About 6 years ago, (and at that time I was post-meno 5 yrs,) the cold feet started to bother me at night, I couldn't get them warm, they would hurt, after a year, that stopped, and the cold feet didn't bother me anymore. Now its back, BIG TIME, all the time, I'm wondering if now,and 6 yrs ago, it's menopause related?? My feet and hands get so cold they hurt, ache, its like all the blood left them and went to the center of my body, like there is no circulation there. I have to wrap them in a hot pad or quickly put them in a shallow tub of hot water to bring blood and warmth back. Then, after warming up, they get so warm that they hurt from too much heat!! Then it starts all over again. I was worried it was my circulation screwing up from some other cause, but I think its menopause. I'm sorry this is long but I didn't want to leave anything out that my be like someone else who can relate to this. Thank you

Old 02-07-2008, 01:26 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

I C Hot HB User
Re: cold hands and feet

Hi,

I am not sure about it being related to menopause or not, but you might check out info on Raynaud's Phenomenon. I have Raynaud's and my feet get cold very easy, but they blister up if I let them get cold for to long. Not sure this will help or not. Julie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-07-2008, 01:45 PM   #3
(female)

JC in CA HB User

Cold hands / feet can also be a symptom of hypothroidism. If you have not had your levels checked, you might want to. Stats I have heard is 1 in 4 women over 40 years old has a thyroid problem and many don't know it.
-JC in CA

Old 02-08-2008, 12:10 PM   #4
(female)

MarciB HB User

Hello....

Good suggestions about checking for Raynaud's and checking for hypothyroid.

I want to mention that I had the extreme cold in my hands and feet through two winters...they were so cold that they hurt as you said..it was just so much worse than the "usual" cold hands/feet...putting socks etc on them made it worse--it trapped the cold in!!!!

Anyway....that is gone and i did not have Raynauds or thryroid issue.
For me, i do believe, since the other things were ruled out and since it has gone away...that is was (peri)menopause related...

Here's hoping that symptom never comes back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-08-2008, 02:42 PM   #5
(female)

rachelle01 HB User

Hi Mcdowell,

Its me again..I have this exact same thing as you do, thinks it my entire body too.
its def a hormone imbalance..lack of estro. I went and saw a vascular doc about this and he didnt know what to think..shook his head..I think estrogen is supposed to help with blood flow. Guess we both get moving and find some estro we can tolerate...

Rachelle

Closed Thread