It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2008, 10:10 AM   #1
(female)

pud HB User
"Up and Down" with Depression and Anxiety

Hello All,
Me again. This menopause is such a strange business. Has anyone else been like me, up and down with the depression/anxiety business? I had 2 really good days, no problems at all, no depression/anxiety/panic, then bang, back downhill and had a bad day again today, so frustrating as I was beginning to believe I was at last recovering. Silly things, especially thoughts that suddenly pop into my head, seem to upset my equilibrium and send me off into a downward spiral, or anticipatory anxiety.
Anyway, just going with it again (what else can we do?) and treating myself kindly. I am a relief carer, so booked off a couple of shifts because I just didn't feel up to them (is this wrong? We are always being told to "face up to it", but I think we ARE poorly), but I feel I need some pampering and understanding while I'm going through this phase of my life.
What's the most frustrating is the not knowing if my hrt and anti-depressants are working - are one of the other, or even both of them, the right ones for me? Do they just need more time? I am fed up going to the doctor - have never visited so much in all my life as I have in the "mentalpause"! He said to give it all more time - oh dear.
Maybe as the menopause goes on things may "even out" (any encouragement here would be much appreciated!).
To finish on a note that may make you smile, my daughter, aged 22, was with me and some friends who were discussing all these horrible menopause symptoms. She asked "do you have the menopause if you don't have children?" We all told her that of course you do. "Oh", she said, "well that's foiled my plans then!" But, as my friends said, she may be okay, or there is a strong possibility they will have found a cure by then (which they would have by now if men had it!!)
Pud

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-03-2008, 02:11 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

I C Hot HB User
Re: "Up and Down" with Depression and Anxiety

Hi Pud, I say pamper away. Don't feel guilty about it either. I have also had the anxiety issues more the last couple days and try and tell myself it is all hormonal and sometimes it helps. But other times not. So pamper yourself. Julie

Old 03-03-2008, 04:11 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User

Hey Pud: Sorry you've been having a rough time of it. I agree with the pampering thing 100%. I wasn't a care worker, but I spent 4 years taking care of my mom, prior to her death. She had Alzheimers and there is a reason they call that the "eight day a week job". I finally found 2 different private duty nurses to come in a couple of days a week to help out, and that made a big difference. I loved my mom more than anything, and if she were still here, I'd do it again in a heartbeat. But it took a real toll on me. My hat is off to anyone who does this for a living. You must be a very special person.

You can always check with whoever is prescribing your anti-depr., to see if it also has a benefit for axiety. Some only treat depression and some treat both. My hubby had to go through about 3 different meds over about a six month period to find the one that worked for him.

Hang in there Pud. And remember we're all here and can relate. God Bless and keep posting! cmpgirl

Old 03-04-2008, 11:29 AM   #4
(female)

JudeNZ HB UserJudeNZ HB User

Hi Pud,

Also sorry to hear you're having the old anxiety problems. I hope by reading here you'll now realise it's one of, if not thee most common happening with menoapuse. It sure can ruin your life.

I've had anxiety off and on over the last seven years. I was almost on top of it and suddenly back it came, but I also realise it's not as bad as last time. So I hold onto that. You'll see my post about anixety a little further down page, and will give you an insight into my experiences.

When I became depressed back before Christmas, I knew I didn't want to do meds, so went to acupuncture, and hey presto, within one session my depression was gone, it also helped me over my feelings of being fearful when alone.

Exercise is a great way to relieve anxiety, as it releases endorphins, and also keeps you busy and takes your mind off the anixety. Whether it's a walk, a swim, a visit to the gym or simply some gardening. It does usually work.

Be kind to yourself. I know I walk around telling myself how stupid I am. But in fact we're not being stupid, we're being irrational, and they're quite different. SO understand where you're at, and by all means when your body is saying it needs a 'pud day', then make it happen. A friend of mine who has suffered depression for many years, (unrelated to menopause) and also has recently completed a psychology degree reaffirmed the above. She also said to go and see or do whatever your gut tells you might be a good idea.

As a result of our conversation I went to a hypnotherpaist/counsellor last night, and will post during the week to report how that went. I also tried something else a few weeks ago which has helped, so if ( not very positive is it) my improvement continues, I'll do a post on all the things I've done in the hope something may help someone else out there. In fact might be an idea to start one anyway and log my progress.

Take care and know you're not alone and remember the words - and this too will pass!!

Healing Hugs

Jude

Old 03-04-2008, 01:16 PM   #5
(female)

pud HB User

Hi All,
Thanks for your replies. I've found it SO reassuring that the anxiety is not just me, as I'd begun to think it had become totally psychological in my case, but your replies make me think differently and that it's just hormones again (I too keep telling myself this!). I am just keeping going and doing all things, I think I am slowly becoming "used to" all the weird feelings/thoughts etc and accepting them as all part of the menopause. I saw a lady I used to work with the other day and was telling her I had been bad. Before I could even explain my symptoms, she said "Don't tell me, you got depression, anxiety, panic attacks, feeling strange, insomnia, etc, etc, etc......... I was amazed and asked how she knew, and blow me down, she was the same, but says she is now more stable as she's been on Prozac quite some time. It's quite incredible isn't it just how many of us there are out there going through this, yet no-one seems to talk about it. How frightening that is, I have seen on this board and in other places how relieved women are when they realise it's not just them. Also, since I have been so open about it myself, people soon begin to "come out" about their own time of it.
Keep in touch and see how we're all getting on.
Pud
X
Quote:
Originally Posted by JudeNZ View Post
Hi Pud,

Also sorry to hear you're having the old anxiety problems. I hope by reading here you'll now realise it's one of, if not thee most common happening with menoapuse. It sure can ruin your life.

I've had anxiety off and on over the last seven years. I was almost on top of it and suddenly back it came, but I also realise it's not as bad as last time. So I hold onto that. You'll see my post about anixety a little further down page, and will give you an insight into my experiences.

When I became depressed back before Christmas, I knew I didn't want to do meds, so went to acupuncture, and hey presto, within one session my depression was gone, it also helped me over my feelings of being fearful when alone.

Exercise is a great way to relieve anxiety, as it releases endorphins, and also keeps you busy and takes your mind off the anixety. Whether it's a walk, a swim, a visit to the gym or simply some gardening. It does usually work.

Be kind to yourself. I know I walk around telling myself how stupid I am. But in fact we're not being stupid, we're being irrational, and they're quite different. SO understand where you're at, and by all means when your body is saying it needs a 'pud day', then make it happen. A friend of mine who has suffered depression for many years, (unrelated to menopause) and also has recently completed a psychology degree reaffirmed the above. She also said to go and see or do whatever your gut tells you might be a good idea.

As a result of our conversation I went to a hypnotherpaist/counsellor last night, and will post during the week to report how that went. I also tried something else a few weeks ago which has helped, so if ( not very positive is it) my improvement continues, I'll do a post on all the things I've done in the hope something may help someone else out there. In fact might be an idea to start one anyway and log my progress.

Take care and know you're not alone and remember the words - and this too will pass!!

Healing Hugs

Jude

Old 03-05-2008, 12:19 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User

Hi Pud:

Hope you are feeling a little better. Your last post got me thinking. About the whole "nobody really talking about it" thing. You are so right. My mom never really discussed it with me and I think that was more of a generational thing. (She would be 88 if she were still with us). When you think about it, it wasn't that long ago (75 -80 years) that they were putting women who were going through menopause away in institutions.

The symptoms we all discuss here, used to be cosidered a form of mental breakdown or illness!! Many of these women were given full hysterectomies, thinking it would "cure" them. Hence, the word hysteria being used to describe mood swings, depression, anxiety and anything else men didn't understand...LOL There were some other methods used by some doctors, that I dare not mention here, but let me just say, there have been some very informative shows on the history channel about it.

Just some food for thought.....Hugs, cmpgirl

Closed Thread