It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2008, 10:38 AM   #1
(female)

Dazey99 HB User
More frequent urination-is this a symptom of late perimenopause?

Hi.
I just turned 50 and I'm sure I've been in peri for years now heading towards menopause. My periods have been irregular for a few years now -I had one last month kind of heavy but before that I'd not had one in 3 months and before that I actually went 6 months without one.
My last gyn visit was a few months ago and all checked out fine.

My question is- over the past few years of perimenopause I've had some bouts with more frequent urination. I'd say aside from the irregular periods that is my most annoying symptom.(Thank God no hot flashes) I've never had a urinary infection -but like I said this irritation is annoying.
Is this a symptom any of you women here have had and if so how did you deal with it?

Old 03-05-2008, 10:59 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

liverpool sue HB User
Re: More frequent urination-is this a symptom of late perimenopause?

hello. you'll find this is about half way down the list of 35 menopause symptoms, and is apparently due to the loss of smooth muscle tone (whatever that means!). i don't think there's anything you can do to get rid of it, just ways round it. i tried limiting my fluid intake but that just gave me headaches. i tried not drinking anything after about 6pm so i didn't get up so often in the night, but to be honest that didn't make much difference so i tried the opposite - drank loads more. the effect of that was just the same as if i was drinking normal amounts, i still had to get up in the night. the only thing which has helped me, is that i take the opportunity wherever i am to use the bathroom, whether i feel the urge to go or not. it's the first thing i look for when i'm out, i use the toilet when i arrive anywhere, leave anywhere. if i'm in a department store and see the sign for the ladies i go and use it. i never, ever, wait until i have an urge to go because usually within 5 minutes of getting the urge, i'm totally desperate and hugely anxious about finding a bathroom. sorry i can't be more help in stopping it, but i really have found i'm less worried about it by dealing with it as i've explained. good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-05-2008, 11:15 AM   #3
(female)

JudeNZ HB UserJudeNZ HB User

Hi Dazey,

The first thing I'd say is - 'Welcome to peri menopause.!"

I'm 54 and almost through it, only had one very very light period in last 16 months. Like you at about 49 or 50 my periods which had always been regular as clockwork for years, suddenly started skipping a few montrhs, then light then heavy. I distinctly remember one morning, while sorting laundry actually, having a sudden urge to urinate, and worse, feeling I couldn't control it. This happened on and off for a few months, and I thought, heck I'm going to have to wear a pad all the time. Thankfully this eased off after a lwhile then virtually went away.

Nowadays I'm fine during the day, but do have to get up a fair bit in the night. The last few months, I find after breakfast a bit of pressure building. Could be due to having a couple of glasses of juice and water. But it goes away.

As Liverpool sue said, it's one of thee most common symptoms, and if that's all you have for now, then I'd embrace it and be ever so thankful!!!

Jude

Old 03-05-2008, 11:30 AM   #4
(female)

GBug HB User

Hi Dazey-- I'm 49 and started having strong peri symptoms about 2 years ago. For the last 15 months, I have had to get up during the night (at least once) and go to the bathroom. My periods are irregular now too. Best wishes!

Old 03-05-2008, 11:40 AM   #5
(female)

Dazey99 HB User

Wow..thanks everyone for the very helpful answers (and the reassurance too)
I'm glad I don't have to get up during the night to urinate like some of you-my thing is during the day!
But what an experience this peri is I have to say. It looks like this will be my symptom and I'll find a way to work around it as they say.
P.S.The Dr gave me a sample of estrace cream for dryness but as soon as I read the insert I decided it wasn't worth the risk so once in a while I"ve used replens.

Closed Thread