It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2008, 12:29 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User
Hormonal "Rage" ??

Hi ladies:

I am having a really rough time of it right now. I'm still in peri and have somewhat regular periods. (right now, actually)

The problem is: It seems each month the bloating, cramping, clotting and heavy bleeding is getting worse. And the mood swings/anxiety are horrid!

I've been seeing a psychiatrist for anxiety for about 6 months and it really does help, but last night I went ballistic on my poor hubby over something that in the cold light of day seems pretty trivial. I knew I was just raging at the poor guy, but I couldn't stop myself.

This is not me....I'm usually the one who remains calm in a crisis, etc. The last time I felt this way was years ago, when my GYN put me on progesterone for a condition I have (PCOS) It made me so nasty and emotional that I stopped taking it after about 5 days.

I'm not as knowledgeable about hormones as many of you ladies, and my question is...can you produce higher or hightened levels of progesterone during peri/meno?

I apologized profusely to my hubby this a.m. and he was a sweetheart about it, but he is such a supportive husband and I know that can be rare, and the thought of doing this to him again just scares me out of my wits!

I have called my GYN's and made an appointment, but as usual, can't see him for 3 weeks. I was hoping you girls would have some answers/solutions in the meantime. Thank you in advance.......cmpgirl

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-08-2008, 12:17 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rheanna HB Userrheanna HB User
Re: Hormonal "Rage" ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmpgirl View Post
I'm not as knowledgeable about hormones as many of you ladies, and my question is...can you produce higher or hightened levels of progesterone during peri/meno?
cmpgirl,

My understanding is that the ratio between the hormones is just as important as the absolute numbers. That is, if your estrogen levels are very low, then your progesterone levels can seem very high to your body, resulting in the hormonal "rage" that many of us know from having had pms every month for years. So it may not be that your progesterone is high, it may just be that it's high in proportion to your estrogen.

This is why the book that advocates taking progesterone cream to cure every problem of menopause simply doesn't help many women. Many of us have plenty of progesterone, and adding more is just throwing the hormones further out of whack.

I sympathise with your melt-down with your hubby. Mine has had to endure a few (!!!) over-reactions on my part as well.

--Rheanna

Old 03-08-2008, 02:26 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Worrybucket HB UserWorrybucket HB UserWorrybucket HB User

there really isnt much you can do until you see the Doc and maybe get some meds.

I went through this a few months ago and i was having some bad anxiety attacks, and literally screaming at my poor family.

I am now thinking im in peri, and all these horrid feelings and the anxiety attacks are because of this. Actually it will be quite liberating for me to have a reason for the panic attacks, as i have to have a reason for everything that happens to me !!

Just when you feel like you are going to blow at Hubby go straight out for a walk, or take a hot bath, anything so he doesnt have to suffer, as its not his fault .

Old 03-08-2008, 09:27 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User

Thanks ladies, for your insight and suggestions. It's so nice to be able to come here and get support, especially since my mom passed before I started this journey and I never really thought to discuss it with her before.

Rheanna: It certainly makes sense that lower estrogen could make the body feel like progesterone levels would be higher.

Worrybucket: I think you are absolutely right that a walk or other diversion would help, but boy this one just came flying out without warning and really surprised me as much as I'm sure it did my hubby! He accepted my apologies, very lovingly and supportively. He really does make an effort to understand as best he can. I'm a lucky girl!

Thanks again and I'm sure we'll all be discussing this topic at length on these boards. Hang in there! cmpgirl

Old 03-09-2008, 08:08 AM   #5
(female)

MYSISSYGIRLS HB User

hi cmp girl,
I have experienced the same rage. I am only 44. my husband had been telling me for years that he thought i was in perimenopause due to my moods. well i had my fsh hormone level tested at dr and am in full menopause. the reason i went to dr was incontinence and it all started adding up i was having night time hot flashes and severe mood swings and crying spells. the incident that finalllly opened my eyes was a blow up i had with my husband over of all things he blew out one of the candles i had burning. i like to burn candles and he dont care for the strong smelling ones and i went off like a rocket. the next day i thought what in the world is happening to me. there are times i cant stand myself and my patience level is 0. my dr prescribed prempro which has estrogen an progesterine in it but i have opted to use estroven and xanax (of course) lol. but it is helping me quite a bit. i still have crying spells and anxiety but not near as much. all the years i though my husband was nuts telling me he thought i was in perimenopause were right i was and i struggled through it because i thought i was to young. since you are still having your periods it may be hard for them to get a good fsh level test on you but you may want to at least ask for that to get an idea where you are with hormones. but it does flucuate throught peri. you may want to ask you dr about estroven or similar treatment options.
I know what you are going through and sympathize with you. i have also found that a good walk in park or around the block will diffuse me when i get the rage. And yes it can be a rage.
good luck and keep us posted.
tami

Old 03-09-2008, 11:37 PM   #6
(female)

savv55 HB User
Wink Re: Hormonal "Rage" ??

Hi: I have not posted here before (usually use other boards). I went to an excellent lecture several years ago on menopause by a naturapath doctor who explained things this way: If you are still menstrating you will be experiencing dropping estrogen levels and increasing progesterone levels leading up to your period like when you were younger. It is estrogen that cause the uterine lining to thicken and then progesterone increases and causes the uterine lining to slough off. As you go through perimenopause your estrogen levels are dropping steadily but your progesterone levels still continue to peak to try to cause the sloughing of the lining and create a period. It is sometimes successful, and sometimes not, so your periods become more and more irregular (and sometimes heavy, sometimes light depending on how much is being sloughed off). Meantime those decreasing estrogen levels start to play havoc with your body as you try to adjust to the new lower levels of estrogen. Eventually at menopause it will settle to something like 40% of what it was when you were young and your body starts to accept this new reality. Then you can look forward to post menopausal fun like hot flashes, watching the hairs grown out of your chin, experiencing your vagina drying up completely and you can pee yourself with very little effort! LOL! Oh to be young again!

Old 04-28-2008, 02:30 PM   #7
(female)

silicone HB User

I keep reminding my sweetie that this is a temporary phase,
a small portion of a lifetime together.

His dad told him to think of it like being on a ship at sea and having a huge storm blow up out of nowhere. Best thing to do is grab on tight to the main mast and ride out the waves because it'll be calm waters again soon enough.

Closed Thread