It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2008, 12:50 PM   #1
(female)

pud HB User
Has anyone tried Citralopram (Celexa) for their depression/anxiety

Hi again everyone,
I'm sure you all know my story by now, but a brief outline. I was on an anti-depressant for many years for depression/anxiety, but it just stopped working at the menopause, I also acquired many other symptoms which I'm aware since coming on this board that loads of us have at this time - the feeling strange, not in the real world, physically and mentally ill, going mad, etc, etc, etc!!
My anti-depressants stopped working (apparently this can happen in the menopause because the changing hormones affect everything), and since then I have tried various other "cures".
At the moment I am weaning off the ad's I had for years (nearly off them now) and have been taking Citralopram (Celexa) for just over 2 weeks. They have certainly lifted my depression and also taken away a lot of the other horrible symptoms, but have really increased my anxiety. I've had a couple of really good days on them, and was aware increased anxiety was a side effect, but I really thought it would be settling a bit by now, not getting worse!
Last week my doc said to give it another 2 weeks as they can take about 4 weeks to really kick in, and by 6 weeks we will know if they are working or not. He has also given me some Diazepam to take if I feel really bad, but I'm not keen on taking tranx if I can avoid them, though I have given in once or twice! They're also now beginning to make me feel sleepy, even though I'm agitated (lol!). Doc has also talked about maybe increasing my dose next time, and I've also got an appointment with a psychiatrist in a couple of weeks, who may know the best drug and what's going on.
It's really difficult, because it's so nice to feel happier, which makes it easier to deal with things and look forward to things in life again, but the constant anxiety is a pain! I'm well used to anxiety by now having had it loads in my life, but this is quite weird - usually the anxiety subsides at some time during the day, but this is kind of constant.
I really don't know whether to just hang on in there at least for another week, and would really appreciate it if anyone who has had this drug could give me their story either one way or the other. I'm wondering if I'm just someone who can't tolerate the SSRIs - my old drug was a trycyclic.
Hope everyone's okay
Love,
Pud
xxx

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-30-2008, 01:12 PM   #2
(female)

eltwins HB User
Re: Has anyone tried Citralopram (Celexa) for their depression/anxiety

I was prescribed Celexa for anxiety.

I took the first tab and had the most awful night of really bad heightened anxiety. It was the worst time of my life. I had to spend the whole of the next day in bed and was just 'out of it'.

I have never taken another one!

Old 03-30-2008, 03:15 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

viktik HB User

I can't take any ad's because of the side effects, mainly the tummy issues. So, I drink a pricey, but very effective vitamin drink every morning after breakfast. It is loaded with all the B vitamins, and has helped my depression tremendously. Many of the B vitamins are mood lifters, and can help depression without having to take ad's. For the anxiety, I take a low dose ativan, and it helps some with sleep and anxiety. I don't want to up the dosage, so am taking a small amount for this difficult menopause journey. If you like bananas, they are also loaded with B vitamins, as well as protein and fiber. I eat one every day!

Hope this helps!
viktik

Old 03-30-2008, 08:38 PM   #4
(female)

Loud HB User

Hi there. I've been on this medication for a long time now. It hasn't caused me any problems. I was prescribed it when I was really under stress. Now I am not sure it is actually helping me. I have been thinking I should stop taking it; as I am no longer under the stress I was in....It never caused me any problems...Debbie

Old 03-31-2008, 06:02 PM   #5
(female)

rosesarered HB User

I was prescribed celexa about five years ago for depression. I had tried other antidepressants but always felt to anxious. This time...new city, new doctor...I told my psychiatrist that i was extremely senistive to anxiety with antid.
He prescribed a very low dose klonipin .025 and i had no anxiety at all with the celexa. Over the years, i have had to increase the klonopin use a little bit at a time due to increased tolerance. I have found the combination to be very effective.

Old 04-01-2008, 09:42 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

marla20 HB User

Well as I said before, my ad stopped working also. last March to be exact. I have not taken the drug you are currently taking but stay on it for a couple more weeks. I started on Zoloft and after 4 weeks he said not working, and he switched me to lexapro. I noticed a difference in a few days. Some of them take longer than others to kick in. I hope you hear from someone who has taken that drug. If you are not feeling better after 6 weeks, try something else. Don't give up. I too, have major anxiety and have ativan for emergencies. Have not needed it but 2 or three times in the last year since going on Lexapro. I was really freaked out when the ad I had been taking for so many years almost 20 suddenly stopped. IT was hormone interference. Although I still have some anxiety during the course of a month I feel normal again. Marla

Old 04-01-2008, 02:20 PM   #7
(female)

pud HB User

Hello everyone,
Thanks for your replies.
Unfortunately, I have had to come off the Citalopram because the side effects were getting worse, and after being on them for over 2 weeks I felt like they should be settling at least a bit by now, not getting worse. The final straw was waking up this morning, my anxiety going through the roof, but also thinking I was going mad and feeling suicidal, so frustrating as the day before I'd had a very long patch of feeling relatively "normal"!
I got down to the doctor's quick smart and he said to stop them. For now he has put me back on my original ads, which worked very well until the menopause interfered!, and some tranquillisers for now, until I see a psychiatrist in 2 weeks' time.
It is all so frustrating, and I'm wondering if I'm just one of those people who cannot tolerate the SSRIs. Citralopram was the third one I've tried, also had Lustral and Cipralex, again both greatly increased my anxiety.
I'm hoping my original ads (Dosulepin) may start to work again now I've got further into the menopause, and maybe things have begun to settle naturally now, but I will have to discuss all this with the psychiatrist.
Will keep you all posted as to what happens.
God bless
Pud
x

Closed Thread