It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2008, 08:18 PM   #1
(female)

Tricia2007 HB User
Question I am in Post Menopause.. what do I do now?

Hi everyone.

I hope someone can help me. I have been post menopausal for about 2-3 years now. I am 53 years old. I was on natural progesterone cream that got me through the latter part of menopause. I have been through panic attacks and hot flashes, those were my main symptoms.
I stopped taking the progesterone cream and have not taken anything now for probably 2 years.
I think my thyroid may be low, but my ranges are not low or high, so nothing is ever done. But I asked the thyroid board and they think, according to my numbers, it may be possible I am hypothyroid. Feel like I may have osteoarthritis in my neck and lower back.
I am the right weight for my height, eat organic for years, and I feel like my body is falling apart.

I came to this board because I wanted to ask you, should I still be on hormone supplements of some kind if I am Post Menopausal? I mean, what do post menopausal women do to keep everything in balance? I know I must sound confused. I am confused about whether when you get through menopause, is the storm over? And now, everything is calmer now, and in balance? Or is it something you must continue on to keep everything in balance?

I don't have a Dr. who is very helpful. I have no libido. I have body aches. Lots of fatigue. I had a CBC last month and all was normal. I just don't feel good anymore. Could it be related to my hormones?

Any help would be so greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much.

Tricia

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-17-2008, 02:17 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

liverpool sue HB User
Re: I am in Post Menopause.. what do I do now?

hello tricia. i'm 55, and two and a bit years without a period. i can't answer your question directly but can tell you what i do.
i have never taken, or rubbed in, any type of hormone stuff, natural or otherwise, preferring instead to take all the supplements recommended for us ladies to help with the symptoms.
i decided to carry on taking the supplements - fish oil, magnesium, clacium, etc., etc. - for as long as i feel happy to do so, my thinking being that even if they're not doing me much good, they're not doing me any harm. i take an all-in-one 'bomb' specially made for menopause, along with an omega 3 capsule.
maybe you need to find a doctor who is more empathetic towards your problems, and have a chat. if your thyroid results are normal, then i guess it's nothing to do with that, the way you are feeling. could you be slightly depressed?
sorry i can't be of more help. best of luck.

Old 04-17-2008, 08:20 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

alyce20 HB User

Tricia,
It is totally hormones. I am not a dr. and if you want to go through a whole range of tests you can. But if you read the threads many of us have done that and they all come up negative. It is all hormones. I am 52 still getting my period so I am not post menopausal, however I would suggest that you can read many of the threads that woman have posted. Some take HRT and some do not. However we do all have one thing in common. We don't feel good. We have many of the symptons. Many of us live with them and many woman find help with HRT, supplements and many othere things. I currently take an AD which has helped me so much. I still don't feel great but I feel better. Hang in there. See your dr. have a check up. BUt I suspect you are going through what we all are. Hormones!!! They really can make you feel bad. This board has helped me so much in the last year and a half. It gives great ideas. Keep on it and pray. Alyce20

Old 04-17-2008, 08:21 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

alyce20 HB User

What is the all in one one bomb you take for menopause and what is in it??? And where can I get it??? Alyce20

Old 04-17-2008, 01:57 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

liverpool sue HB User

i'm in england alyce, and that's where i buy it. bit far for you to come i think!

Old 04-17-2008, 02:06 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

liverpool sue HB User

forgot to say, my 'bomb' contains:
vitamins E, C, and B6
calcium, magnesium, zinc, isoflavones, citrus bioflavonoids, linolenic acid, flaxseed lignans and linoleic acid.

i would imagine many of the menopause supplements that can be bought in most pharmacies around the world would contain something similar. the one i buy is an 'own brand' one.

Old 04-19-2008, 12:16 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

rheanna HB Userrheanna HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricia2007 View Post
I came to this board because I wanted to ask you, should I still be on hormone supplements of some kind if I am Post Menopausal? I mean, what do post menopausal women do to keep everything in balance? I know I must sound confused. I am confused about whether when you get through menopause, is the storm over? And now, everything is calmer now, and in balance? Or is it something you must continue on to keep everything in balance?
Tricia2007,

Everyone needs to decide for themselves if continuing hormones is appropriate after it's obvious that you're definitely in menopause. I have chosen to continue because it really helps with the symptoms. I have discussed this with my gyno-doctor every 6 months when I go in for a check-up. I have no risk factors (family history of heart problems or breast/uterine cancer), and my health continues to be good. I get an ultrasound at each visit to make sure that the myoma on my uterus isn't growing, and isn't causing any symptoms or problems. I had a breast x-ray exam a couple of months ago because I am over 50. It came back with no problems to report.

I have been using hormones for about 18 years now (currently using an estrogen patch, with progesterone pills every 6 months to induce a period). I started in my early 40's a couple of years after I started peri at the age of 39. I am 59 now, and it's apparent that I am "officially" in menopause because I only have periods every 6 months when they are induced by progesterone pills.

Some people are candidates for long-term hormone therapy and some are not. I have discussed this thoroughly with my doctor over the years. He says that as long as I continue to be helped by the hormones, then theoretically I can stay on them for years. The main thing is frequent check-ups, and the willingness to alter the dosages or types of hormones if needed.

Different people do well on different types of hormones, different dosages, different brands, different delivery systems (pills, patch, cream).

The studies that have been done are not necessarily so clear in their results as they would have you believe. Women with a history of heart disease should not take the hormones. I seem to recall reading that this wasn't taken into consideration in selecting women for the studies. Also, I believe that most of the studies used hormones by specific manufacturers, meaning that the results are applicable only for that brand (and form) of hormone. There are a lot of forms of hormones on the market, and different people react differently to them.

Ultimately, it is up to you and your doctor to evaluate if you are a candidate for long-term hormone use. And, as I said, frequent checkups are important. I know that every six months is my opportunity to evaluate with my doctor whether my current prescription is appropriate for me, and whether or not I should continue at all. I accept that if it looks like my risk factors are changing, I may have to stop entirely.

--Rheanna

Closed Thread