It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2008, 10:41 AM   #1
(female)

RainSpirit HB User
Unhappy How long after starting HRT do you feel a difference?

I just started prempro 4 nights ago, and my hot flashes (and subsequent clod flashed) and night seats have gotten worse, not better.
I'm only (almost) 46 and was taking DHEA and Pregnenolone....and they worked well up until a couple of months ago. I uped the dosage, and it still won't work for me anymore. I really REALLY didn't/don't want to take synthetics, but it all just became too much...nauseous too. And it all has become worse, and more often since starting prempro. Can someone educate me Please?
Thanks

Old 05-07-2008, 03:04 PM   #2
(female)

Happy Days HB User
Re: How long after starting HRT do you feel a difference?

I had the same question when I started menopause about a month ago. I had a hysterectomy over 10 years ago but still have my ovaries. I am 47. You symptoms sound just like mine. My doctor put me on Premarin and we started at a low level and worked up a dosage each week. I am now at .625 and feel a whole lot better. I still believe I get the hot-flashes every now and then but not every 15 minutes along with the chills, nausea, and night sweats. It took me about a month but every woman is different. Keep in touch with your doctor. I also spoke with a female pharmacist who is going through menopause and she told me there are over the counter creams you can also use so talk with your doctor and ask your pharmacist.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-07-2008, 05:45 PM   #3
(female)

RainSpirit HB User
Red face Re: How long after starting HRT do you feel a difference?

Oh thanks...I "think" it's starting to kick in, but the night sweats I think are the worse. Really crummy sleep.
I have been doing some online research for natural alternatives that I would like to try in a month or so. Do you remember what your friend told you would be good to try?
And yes...I will talk with her about dosage, she didn't say anything about adjusting it.
So how do you feel about taking synthetic hormones?
Thanks so much

They need a smiley that is red in the face and sweating

Old 05-07-2008, 07:43 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

I C Hot HB User

Hi, I am 45 and had a hysterectomy 10 years ago leaving my ovaries, but few years ago started taking Premarin at a low dose, it took a couple weeks before noticing a difference and the Dr. did some adjusting. I have since weaned off it and doing good using progesterone cream. I still have HF and NS but they are manageable now. So hang in there and talk with your Dr if it doesn't improve say 10 days in.
Julie

Old 05-09-2008, 06:30 AM   #5
(female)

yock HB User

Glad I saw this post. I finally threw in the towel and had my dr put me on the lowest dose of premarin. I had a hysterectomy also 7 years ago leaving my ovaries. 3 yrs ago after my mom died suddenly I went into menopause (my dr said grief will do that) with each year getting worse. Finally last year I started having 20 to 30 hotflashes and night sweats a day. I still toughed it out. I tried black cohosh, Estro Natural, supplements up the wazoo, nothing worked. I cannot go through another summer like last year. I've been on the premarin 4 days now with no noticeable change. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Old 05-09-2008, 09:25 PM   #6
(female)

Ruskingirl HB User

I am 49 and had my hysterectomy 9 years ago, had both ovaries removed. Been on and off of hrt for a few years (mostly off) finally I couldn't take anymore and have been back on premarin for 5 months. I take 1.25 mgs. It took about a month to see good results. I am finally sleeping the entire night (first time in about 15 years) and hardly get warm now (yet still warmer than my husband). I feel like I am semi sane again but hate the idea that I have to take hormones to accomplish that.

Closed Thread