It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2008, 10:30 PM   #1
(female)

cherrylaine HB User
Zoloft for menopause?

When I went to my last anual gyn appt. and described my emotional symptoms my gyn said that now days doctors prescribe prozac or zoloft for these symptoms. I got a script for zoloft but haven't taken it yet since I have been on decongestants and antihistamines for some time now and they have a very negative drug interaction with the zoloft. I am still very concerned about taking an anti depressant for hormonal changes. I don't believe that I am very depressed at all, just easily cry at times. Anyone else had a doc prescribe zoloft for their emotional symptoms? Has it helped? Hurt? Thanks for any info.

Old 05-10-2008, 06:35 AM   #2
(female)

Buzzbabe3 HB User
Re: Zoloft for menopause?

I work for a doc who has known me for 15 years...I told him when all my symptoms seemed to hit the ceiling...he checked me out as I was afraid that I had MS or Parkinson's or a brain tumor. He did BW and gave me the once over and said that he felt it was menopause and depression most likely caused by the hormone issue. He said to think about Lexapro. He felt it had less sides but said nothing about the weight gain issue.Then I went to my ob/gyn and asked her her thoughts on all of this. She didn't want to run hormone test because she said...you are 51...your hormones are less than they have been in younger years...so...hormone tests sometimes dont show that because at any given time they change...suffice it to say that you have decreased hormones. Anyway..she said quite honestly that I have three options. Natural alternatives...try a variety of supplements and maybe hit the mark...start HRT to see if it takes the edge off and then we will know if its menopause for sure. Or try Effexor (her anti-dep of choice) she thinks the side effects are less than others and you dont get the weight gain like you can from other anti-dep. Wow...ain't life great when those are the alternative. So...I started with the natural options and really did not find it helped a great deal but I have not been doing it long...I am going to try the HR to see if I get some relief and if so then I know that its the menopause and then I can take some time to really research my natural options as I do not want to take the HR for any long timeframe. But you might want to ask the doc about whther Effexor may be a better option for you if weight gain is something you want to avoid. I just know that at this point in my life it is difficult enough to lose weight and stay healthy so who needs that kind of help. Let me know how you do!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-10-2008, 10:05 AM   #3
(female)

Mistyeyze HB User

I was reluctant to take an anti-depressant for meno symptoms also, but my moods were out of control. I had to do something. Lexapro has worked wonders on the mood swings and I have not gained weight from it. I had my meno pouch before Lexapro... if anything I've lost since being on Lexapro because when my moods lifted I was able to get/stay on an exercise routine.

I know everybody is different when it comes to anti-depressants, but honestly ladies I have heard the most positive reports from people using Lexapro, it seems to have the least amount of side effects (I don't have any) and also seems to be the anti-depressant that really helps with anxiety. Before the lexapro I was taking xanax, but now I only take it once every blue moon... so the lexapro is really working.

Good luck.

Now if I could get rid of these hot flashes and sweats.

Old 05-10-2008, 10:24 AM   #4
(female)

Buzzbabe3 HB User

Thanks for the info...it sounds as though this was a great option for you, I am going to really look into this if I can't get this under control. It feels lousy to feel lousy. Did it help with any other meno symptoms?

Old 05-10-2008, 07:30 PM   #5
(female)

cherrylaine HB User

Thanks for the info. I have actually had some unusual weight loss recently which was actually welcome once it leveled off. I hadn't even thought of weight gain being a side effect to the zoloft. It just seemed like the fact that even over the counter cold remedies are considered dangerous while taking it might mean it wouldn't be a good thing for me. I have not heard much about any of the other antidepressants out there I just knew I didn't want to go on prozac! I will ask my primary doc about it. Has anyone out there taken zoloft for menopausal symptoms? I take a soy supplement twice a day and it seems to have really helped with the hot flashes and vaginal dryness.

Closed Thread