It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2008, 05:22 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

viktik HB User
Uterine cyst/fibroid

Hi everyone,

I had a vaginal ultrasound this past January, and it showed that I have a uterine cyst. My doctor said it was ok, but he wants to keep an eye on it to see if it has grown at all in four months, so he wants me to have another ultrasound. I only feel a little pain from it once in a while. I'm just wondering if anyone else on this board has a cyst or fibroid, and if it has changed or grown. If so, do you ever have any pain with it?

Thanks all, and happy Friday!

viktik

Old 05-22-2008, 10:04 AM   #2
(female)

GBug HB User
Re: Uterine cyst/fibroid

Hi viktik

Around 18 years ago, I was diagnosed with 2 fibroids on my uterus. At that time they were the size of a green pea. I have had an ultrasound every 5 years just to monitor any growth. Last year, a routine ultrasound showed that one had grown to about 6 cm (the size of a small orange) and the other to 3 cm plus 2 additional small fibroids. My doctor suggested that I start having an ultrasound every 3 months. Three months later I had another u/s and two of the fibroids had sloughed off (disappeared) and the 6 cm shrank to less than 5 cm. My gynecologist believes the fibroids shrank because my hormones are fluctuating (brought on by premenopause).

Hope this helps. As you can see, I was fortunate to never have any problems such as heavy bleeding or pain associated with the fibroids. Also, after 20 years, I am thankful that they didn't grow any more than they did. I do have a "poochy" lower abdomen but that's all. My doctor is optimistic that I will make it through menopause without having to have surgery.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-28-2008, 04:57 PM   #3
(female)

cara831 HB User

About 15 years ago I had some pain and a tiny bit of spotting after sex. The doctor said it was a fibroid and that I might have to have a hysterectomy. Wow! That made me panic(!). As it turned out, it was only noticeable for a short time and now he doesn't even mention it - as if it's gone. And I don't feel it anymore, either. All that panic for what turned out to be nothing. I have had an ultrasound since then b/c of an abnormal pap, but still nothing.
I hope yours turns out as mine did in the end!

Old 05-30-2008, 01:58 PM   #4
(female)

Buzzbabe3 HB User

What was your abnormal pap result? I had a pap and it showed normal endometrial cells. I had just completed my period on the weekend and had my pap on a monday morning.I still get regular cycles and have not missed a period yet...They wanted me to go in for an ultrasound to check to be sure all was well as once you are 40 you need to get this result checked. She found a fibroid and some thickening of my uterine walls but I was at the end of my cycle, Anyway, she said since she was in there already that I should have the endometrial biopsy just to be sure all is well in there. I am freaking out, worried to death. I have no other symptoms, I still get my cycle and I have no abnormal bleeding...so I was wondering if anyone went through this too...

Old 05-30-2008, 06:40 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

About 15 years ago I experienced severe back pain for about 3 days only to learn that it was due to fibroids. My primary referred me to an obgyn who, without asking any questions, said I needed a hysterectomy. Based on my women's classes in college, I knew that the doctors in this country were "hysterectomy happy" and so I went to another doctor for a second opinion. He recommended a hysterectomy also. Although stunned, I had the stamina to ask him why...he said, "Isn't that what you wanted me to say?" Being too flabbergasted to answer, I called the office of an obgyn that I had been a patient years before...my original doctor was still there and still attending the latest symposiums/seminars/whatevers. This doctor, in his late seventies, early eighties, told me I had fibroids the size of small oranges and that they would get smaller and perhaps disappear with menopause. I told him about my previous opinions of surgery, he laughed, and he said basically, that those doctors must have had a few things they wanted to purchase....

To make a long story short, despite fibroids the size of oranges, I chose not to have surgery and haven't had any pain, discomfort, or bleeding since the diagnosis. I am very, very glad I got that THIRD opinion as it was the right opinion for my situation.

Bethsheba

Old 05-31-2008, 08:05 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

viktik HB User

Hi ladies,

Thanks so much for your responses so far! Here is my update following last Friday's vaginal ultrasound: My doctor (who, thankfully, is also a good friend) called me at work on Thursday and said that everything was clear. The uterus is the right size, there is no leakage, and the endometrial stripe (need to google that one to see what it is) is normal. The radiologist didn't see any abnormalities, so maybe the cyst that was seen in January went away. They also looked at the ovaries and bladder, and everything seemed fine. I still don't feel good, and I get occasional pelvic pain, but maybe it is all the hormonal fluctuations that are going on in my body. I just want to fell better! I know all of you do too!

Bethsheba...good for you for getting a THIRD opinion!! So many hysterectomies are done that shouldn't be!

Happy Saturday everyone!
viktik

Old 07-15-2008, 08:23 AM   #7
(female)

heididog HB User

Wow! A similar thing just happened to me in June. What a horrible month I went through....
My GP told me I had a fairly large polyp and go see a GYN to get it removed. I went to a GYN (never been to him before) and he removed it, and reported that the ultrasound showed a uterine fibroid the size of an orange and a ovarian cyst that he called complex yet it was grapesized. He said total hysterectomy with ovaries to be removed too.
I was scared to death it might be cancer. I worried about it for a week and then got a second opinion from a GYN who had 31 years experience. New ultrasound done. He said the cyst was gone and an orange size fibroid does NOT call for hysterectomy. Whew! He also said the other GYN just wanted money for something.....yuck

Old 07-15-2008, 01:25 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

estria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB User

Wow ladies,

Your comments are truly SHOCKING ! I cannot believe that these doctors are recommending a serious surgery for something as trivial as uterine fibroids.

I have a uterine fibroid that is 1 cm and a simple (fluid filled) ovarian cyst that is 8 cm. Everytime they do my ultrasound and see the fibroid they tell me not to even THINK about it. The ovarian cyst is still being watched but the fibroid does not even seem to be an issue.

To think that gynecologists are sending women into surgery for something that is so common (75% of women have fibroids in their uterus) and completely harmless. I can't believe it. And yes it is true that once we women hit menopause the fibroids will shrink. This is a fact.

The only reason I can see for anyone getting a hysterectomy due to fibroids would be if the woman is in intolerable pain and has extremely heavy bleeding and EVEN THEN there is always the option of removing the fibroids surgically or of cutting off the blood supply to them so that they shrink (a new procedure).

As for removing the ovaries in addition to the uterus, this should only be done if absolutely necessary as this will throw a woman into premature menopause and she will have to go on HRT. Since the male equivalent of female ovaries are the testicles, I am wondering if they are so quick to recommend testicular removal if a man has a harmless polyp or a cyst on one of them. Hmmm... something tells me not ...

Old 07-16-2008, 05:04 PM   #9
(female)

cjanierun HB User

Hi there.....
Welcome to my world! Same thing with me. I have had a ultrasound for 3 years...always comes back good, but this year, after missing three periods, the lining came back a bit thick. Normal I gues is 6 cm, mine was 8. Doc said she was not worried, but wanted to do a biospy just to see what was causing the lining to thicken. Day I had it scheduled, I started my period. But she did it anyway. Wow, not the most comfortable test that I can say I have had, but I made it through it. I will not say it did not hurt...but I will say it was over quick. Felt a bit lazy and tired for that day and kind of crampy the next day but all in all, did fine. I have to wait now till next Thursday to get the results....worried, but have faith that all will be fine. We are all going through a bunch of craziness with the menopause stuff and our bodies are really changing....fast...and I think (even though some docs I feel are test happy) that our docs really, truely, are trying to be careful and be sure they test us for things that they find a bit unnormal. But talk about worry....and they say "don't worry"...all we can do is pray and keep the faith, right. But you are certainly not alone....I hope all comes back good for you and that you will be feeling better in no time. Hang in there!

Closed Thread